Am I crazy for buying a refurb imac G5

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by johntommybob, Nov 16, 2006.

1. johntommybob macrumors member

I just ordered this computer from apple

Refurbished iMac G5 17-inch 1.9GHz SuperDrive
    512MB memory (533MHz DDR2 SDRAM)
    160GB Serial ATA hard drive
    ATI Radeon X600 Pro (128MB DDR video memory)
    Front Row with Apple Remote
    Built-in iSight camera

It actually costs more than a new intel Imac, but I really wanted to be able to run classic without any problems, and speed is not a big thing for me. Can't get DLS and I don't run any programs that require a great deal of speed. I'm using a G4 cube now 450mhz. I can still change my mind. Any advice?

2. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Maxiseller

I don't understand.

If it's a refurb, it certainly shouldn't cost MORE than an iMac of the same size.

Personally I wouldn't waste my money on outdated technology but having said that I'm using a Powermac that I intend to keep for eighteen months yet which is still a powerhouse! :)

What eactly do you NEED classic for? Are there no alternative apps?

3. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

You can run OS 9 (up to 9.04, and OS 9 retail disks only) in SheepShaver.

I've done this on my Intel iMac just to see if I could do it and after assigning enough RAM to it, it seemed quite fast. I didn't do anything with it though since I didn't have any software apart from the OS 9 disks, so I can't tell you if it would be usable for your needs.

If it's more expensive than an Intel iMac, I would go for the Intel since it really is faster and gives you more flexibility now and in the future.

If it's the refurb I just saw on the Apple store, it's $999, and $100 more than the 17" Intel iMac with the integrated graphics. If I were the OP, I would add $100 and go for the "Refurbished iMac 17-inch 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo SuperDrive" at $1099

4. Bobjob186 macrumors 6502

That computer should cost 800 dollars, not more than an intel imac take it back and use your cube if speed doesn't matter.

5. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

Having owned G5 and Intel iMacs I have to say that the Intel iMac is vastly superior. Aside from being faster, it is much quieter and cooler. The G5 iMac was much too loud unless you set the power setting to minimal (something like that). Also, the resell value will be much better on the Intel iMac. If you need any Windows apps, then chalk up another mark for the Intel iMac.

If you aren't picky about white noise or excess heat and if you plan on keeping it for 5 years (like you apparently have with the Cube) and if you are using a fair number of non-universal apps that will not be updated to be universal then the G5 iMac makes sense. However, I don't think you will find many people on the boards who would be willing to spend more money for a G5 iMac than an Intel iMac of the same size.

6. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

That computer really should not cost more than an Intel Core 2 Duo EDU 17" iMac.

7. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

Take that back right away.

I have an iMac G5 1.9GHz (but with 1.5GB RAM; the same machine you purchased) and I also own a Black MacBook Core Duo 2.0Ghz w/ 2GB RAM.

The MacBook kicks the iMac's ass -- it's no match.

Return it. :)

8. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

oi.. you paid MORE for an outdated machine?? To your question "Am I crazy..." the answer is "Yes!" :p

No, but seriously..return it. buy a used one off eBay or the marketplace here if you're deadset on a G5.

9. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

we have a winner! Do what he said!

Apple still has some PPC mac refurbs (iMacs, 12" powerbooks) priced higher than newer intel refurbs. I believe the 17" core duo iMac is $50 LESS than the 17" G5 iMac, and as plinden says, even the core 2 duo is only $100 more.

10. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

If you want to run PPC applications and OS9 classic applications for any professional solution, you're MUCH better off buying a good used dual processor
    or dual core G5 2.0GHz or 2.3 GHz tower.

If you like the iMac form factor, then by all means upgrade to the C2D dual core
    iMac.

It might help us to know what you're doing in OS9 that requires you to run classic.

11. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I would return the iMac G5 for a Core (2) Duo based model. The PowerPC G5 based iMacs are still great machines, but I would not pay for one if it cost more than an Intel based one. :eek: :)

12. johntommybob thread starter macrumors member

Enough already, I have canceled the order, the modem though had already shipped. But I will need it anyway if I buy a new mac as I cannot get a high speed connection here, except perhaps by satellite (not going there). It kind of bugs me that Apple vey quietly took the modems out of their new machines. That leaves people who can't get DSL forced to buy an external one, which takes up a 2.0 USB slot, which may in turn lead to needing a hub, all which just leads to more clutter.

It wasn't a money thing, although I do value saving money, it was just that buying a refurb was the only way I could buy a G5 (which I thought I wanted) with warranty. I never thought about the heat and noise factor.

Oh well, back to square one, but thanks a lot guys for your advice.

13. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

Yeah, glad you canceled your order. You would have been in for a world of regret.

14. viperguy macrumors 6502

Oh, modems still exist!
    I almost forgot about that.

Removing modems from computers is just like removing floppy drives... might sound like something bad but soon you won't even miss it. unless you don't have any other options, like your case :p
    But how many USB ports does the iMacs have?
    I don't think you'll want to use all of them at once to the point of buying a hub.... right...?... :confused:

15. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

As much as we enjoy helping people spend their money, sometimes we actually come to our senses and say whoa! ;)

16. Quboid macrumors 6502

17. Quboid macrumors 6502

Modems are becoming obsolete, and apple is mad futuristic, but on the real, no modem sucks!! Modems add flexibility and open options (just in case).....Removing the modems was definitly a bad move:(

18. johntommybob thread starter macrumors member

“Removing modems from computers is just like removing floppy drives... might sound like something bad but soon you won't even miss it. unless you don't have any other options, like your case.”

“Modems are becoming obsolete, and apple is mad futuristic, but on the real, no modem sucks!! Modems add flexibility and open options (just in case). Removing the modems was definitely a bad move.”

Well, I missed the floppy drive. I had a Mac color classic when I bought my G4 Cube. The Cube had no floppy drive, so I had to buy a floppy drive for the cube so I could transfer my files to the Cube. Plus, the Cube came equipped with no way to back up files as it has a read only CD Rom Drive. Most of the files I transferred via the floppy drive were Microsoft office files and I made the mistake of saving them to the 2001 office format, which bloated the files so much that trying to back them up again on floppy disks was no longer very practical. And now they dropped the built in modem and I too think that just sucks. Had to be more about making money than making the customer happy.

It must be that Apple is so sure of its user base that it feels it can do what it wants, and charge what it wants, and we will all follow quietly right along. So far they are right. For years and years we were told that Macs without intel chips were just as good as other computers with them, but now Apple has intel chips, and Ebay is going to be flooded with “just as good” G5’s.

Don’t get me wrong: I love Apple computers. But I have loved them mostly because they were more user friendly then PCs, at least to me. But my son-in-law, who has a masters in computer science, and is a programming supervisor for IBM, and who knows far more about computers than I will ever hope to know, has a Dell.

19. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

A very helpful Apple tech told me a loooong time ago that you are much MUCH safer with an external modem.

IF you get zapped by a neutral fault through your phone line, nothing man made is fast enough to stop that surge, so actually an external modem is better at protecting your motherboard from taking a hit.

You might lose a $44.00 modem, but your system is safer overall.

20. viperguy macrumors 6502

And much propably we won't see built in modems in the computers that don't have it anymore...
    Can you imagine Steve J. saying "Now we have computers with built in modems!!!!"
    The crowd would laugh... or maybe not... we love whatever he says :p