Am I crazy to buy an iBook today?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by crazydreaming, May 11, 2005.

1. crazydreaming macrumors 6502a

crazydreaming

Title explains it... Going to the apple store to buy an iBook TODAY! Am I crazy?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I don't know, ARE you crazy?

Possibly, do you hear voices in your head?

3. eleveneastgate macrumors 6502

Buyer's Guide

Go for it ... and you'll be kicking yourself when the new/revised arrive.

C'mon be patient, and read the MR's Buyer's Guide ;)

4. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Ive been waiting for updates for ever and about 2weeks ago I bought mine and I couldnt be happier. I dont think there will be updates until WWDC. I mean go buy it and enjoy it, at this rate you could be waiting for updates for weeks.

5. WolfgangK macrumors member

YOU ARE NOT CRAZY

I've been waiting since Feb-March for this phantom update...and I posted a similar thread exactly 1 week ago, and decided to wait it out one more week. And nothing.

So, I'm getting closer and closer to buying. I very well may in the next few days as well. The current specs will do everything I'll need it to, it's not my main machine, etc. And the biggest reason I was waiting in the first place, was for Tiger's release. I had already resided in that there were a TON of games that I could play on the current config, #1 being Warcraft III which I missed out on.

Ya, the price might drop, and it might get a better GPU a month from now. But things will ALWAYS get bigger, faster, and cheaper.

I am close to joining the "get it, and enjoy it" camp.

I also know there are others out there with iBooks at or below(and in some cases, well below) the current config's specs, who are very happy with their 'books.

The buyers guide is unfortunately not always dead-on-balls-accurate. iBook was the first line to be listed as "don't buy-updates soon," and is the last line sitting there waiting for an update.

6. Davito macrumors member

Buy it today. If you keep it for some years, who cares wether it was the latest revision for 2 months or for 5 months after you bought it???

7. SteveC macrumors 6502

Big deal? :) "Weeks" isn't that long to wait for a much better system.

I went 4 months without a desktop in order to get a Rev B iMac and right now I'm elated and very proud of myself for waiting. Soon I'll have a Rev B iMac on my desk. Most specs on the Rev B are twice as nice as the Rev A. :D

(Doubled HDD (160 GB), doubled RAM (512 MB), doubled GPU RAM (128 MB), faster processor (+200MHz), faster bus, AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth 2.0 built-in (standard on all iMacs now), Tiger, and iLife '05... all for the same exact price as a Rev A would've been.)

Don't buy an iBook until it's updated.

8. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Do you need it TODAY ? Or do you just want it today ?
    Whatever - both good reasons. Have fun

9. paulypants macrumors 6502a

paulypants

Yes. But buy it when you need it. Please don't complain when new ones come out a week after you bought yours though.

10. timmyb macrumors 6502

Normally it would be better to bite the bullet at buy it when you want it, but I would wait (as I am) for the update due to the VRAM. You can't update it after purchase and given that you will probably have your iBook for a good long time, just think of all the things you will miss out on by not having 64MB.

11. fener macrumors regular

don't buy.

Or, in 4-6 weeks, you will come back and start a thread, "why Apple updated it" or " why didn't I waited" , or " Why apple is screwing us"

Wait till WWDC

12. crazydreaming thread starter macrumors 6502a

crazydreaming

Thanks guys... See this is actually for my dad, who I'm trying to convince not to buy! I'm going to print this thread for him.

Question: If you buy an iBook and say they update them the day after, can you return it?

13. crazydreaming thread starter macrumors 6502a

crazydreaming

What was introduced at previous WWDC? Wasn't that when new Powerbooks came out last year?

14. BKKloppenborg macrumors regular

same here if they get at least that i don't need anything else i am waiting until leastest June 17 and then see what happends then...

15. GreeneGirl7 macrumors regular

GreeneGirl7

Call the Apple store to ask, but I'm guessing they would charge you the restocking fee which is either 10% or 15%.

16. crazydreaming thread starter macrumors 6502a

crazydreaming

That would really really stink... I thought there was some kind of return thing.

17. minimax macrumors 6502

BUY THE DAMN MACHINE

ibooks will NOT likely be updated soon as that would make them almost equal to the powerbook. Even if they did, the update would be too small too notice. My expectations are it will be updated around the same time the powerbook gets its update, and that can take a few months.

18. hikeNM macrumors 6502a

I agree. If they are updated, then what's the difference between the powerbooks and the ibooks?

I sent in my order last night. You'll spend the rest of your life waiting on the next big thing.

Of course, I have to say that since I just ordered one. ;)

19. SaleenS351 macrumors 6502

When I bought my imac from the apple store I had 14 days to return it, and hey also took back the RAM i bought as well. It si 10% restocking fee. As soon as the Powermacs were announced I just went in and returned it and ordered a ne PM.

20. GreeneGirl7 macrumors regular

GreeneGirl7

That's how a regular return works. The restocking fee thing I mean. And that's only a certain number of days, like 15 or so after purchase.

I'm bored so I called Apple. I was told that they don't generally help you if you buy something and then there are updates. You would have to do a regular return (if you could) and then buy the new computer.

But the guy also said they JUST did iBook updates... so... uh... I don't know how much we can trust him. :p

21. BKKloppenborg macrumors regular

lol i call bs usally those guys never know what they are talking about anyways at least i hope this guy dosn't. :eek:

22. crazydreaming thread starter macrumors 6502a

crazydreaming

You guys are saying there won't be updates soon... but what about the buyers guide? This is the longest between updates that it's ever been. Maybe, the longer the wait the better.

23. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

I think they will be updated at WWDC but there won't be BIG updates.

I think they'll probably make 1.33 standard and offer a 1.5 option. And maybe a 64MB option on the 14" for the VRAM... but that does come DANGEROUSLY close to PB territory.

24. BKKloppenborg macrumors regular

yes true we all know its coming the question is when? Somtimes the Buyers guide is wrong because Apple is so unprdictable... But i would say the LONGEST is probaly before the start of school year but i am guessing they will be updated latest June because that is a good time to update since alot of students are buying laptops and it would be bad for apple to do it latter...

i agree with StarbucksSam it would not be a big update Max for CPU is 1.5 but i think it will be more like 1.4 and i think they will have to update ram and Video ram to make it run better on Tiger