Am I Deaf?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by adn rcd dly, Mar 20, 2006.

1. adn rcd dly macrumors 6502

adn rcd dly

hey guys.

up until a week or so ago, everything was fine. now, not.

sound/music/movies playing in firefox are not playing. they load and start but i can't get any sound. i thought problem with speakers, so I go into iTunes and sounds was fine. i then open a MPEG in Quicktime and it was choppy and no sound. it would play and abruptly stop.

everything is connected and I get system sounds and everything.

any suggestions?

thanks

2. Sathos macrumors regular

Hmm... did you try restarting? My powerbook sometimes loses its sound, I just restart the computer and it returns.

3. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

If you have Garageband, try opening and then closing that. Sometimes this can give the audio a kick to sort itself out.

4. galstaph macrumors 6502a

galstaph

5. polyesterlester macrumors 6502

I'm having the exact same problem. I've restarted. I've reinstalled Quicktime. I've reinstalled Flash (because I couldn't play any music off of myspace or any other flash sites). Quicktime plays .MOVs just fine, but MPEGs have no audio. I'll let you know if I find a solution.

6. mpq macrumors newbie

Open Activity Monitor and quit the "coreaudiod" process. Always works for me when I have an audio problem.

7. polyesterlester macrumors 6502

Hmm. Doesn't seem to work with this problem though, unfortunately. Thanks, though!

8. adn rcd dly thread starter macrumors 6502

adn rcd dly

when i opened garageband and closed it, everything worked fine. i don't know why. it had been a day or two, so i am not positive it was that that worked, but it was immediate.

try that.

9. polyesterlester macrumors 6502

If only I had GarageBand! (Hmm, but I just opened Soundtrack, and the problem was indeed fixed. Crazy!)

10. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

Try and call Apple and see what they say, oh, and if they say reinstall your OS, say you've done it twice. :D

EDIT: you edited your post right before I clicked post. :eek:

11. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

I think it is because Garageband re-initialises CoreAudio when it is launched, which flushes out any glitches. I assume that Soundtrack does the same (makes sense) which is why it also worked for polyesterlester.

Not quite sure why quitting and restarting the CoreAudio process didn't work though. Buffers maybe?