Am I Far Left, Far Right, Or Far Central?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MACDRIVE, Jun 30, 2006.

1. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

I really have no clue. I have never really given much thought to what my political views would be until I joined this Forum. If you were to ask me what I thought about gay marriage, I would tell you I don't care one way or the other. If you were to ask me what I thought about the separation of church and state, I would tell you that churches should be kept out of politics. If you asked me if I'm pro life or pro choice, I would tell you that I believe in pro quality of life. I believe that if we know for absolute certain that the baby will be born disfigured or severely handicapped to where the child would have to live a life of hardship, then the pregnancy should be terminated.

This is not a thread about who's right and who's wrong; it's about finding your own political position, something that I haven't figured out for myself yet.

2. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I'd think i'd say your in the Middle, as you "don't care" idea of Gay Marriage is something i see in some rightys,, but not the far right ones, also your "pro life" comment seems a righty but stil nto far right. And you church and state idea seems middle of the road as well.

Also you should think about War in iRaq(what to do now that we have this mess, and should be even be there in the first place) war in afganistan, flag buring option.

Those would be some more good starting points to figure out were you stand. But also you don't have to fit into any of those groups. Poltics are a circle, if you become very far left, your start to become a righty. (example Denis Kucinich is a super far lefty, but at one point he was so far left on abortion, he started to become "pro life" supporter.) So it may be your general one type, but sometime you go to different option on one thing or another

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

that puts you squarely in nazi-land.

4. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I don't label myself with a "political position," doing so would just cloud my decisions when voting.

I make my decisions on a single case basis. Republican, Democrat, I don't care.

5. MACDRIVE thread starter macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

That's a scary thought.

What got me starting this thread is watching ABC's 20/20 tonight. They were saying that the nation is becoming more and more polarized; blue states and red states. I'm thinking to myself: I had better hurry up and decide which color I want to be. :eek:

6. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

It's easy to say that when you're young, unmarried and have never had problems conceiving a child. I think if you were to change the should, that I highlighted to "the parents have the right to have the pregnancy terminated" you'd be on much firmer ground. When anyone forces the ending of a pregnancy, like zim says, you're in nazi land.

The issues you've brought up are merely republican talking points. They are important to a number of people and are ruling the airwaves right now but in no way should they be considered the major issues of the day.

What do you think of health care in the US? Do you have a viable solution?

How about the strong arm tactics the US is using to force such treaties as NAFTA and CAFTA on third world countries?

How do you feel about the UN?

Ditto China and India?

These are only a handful of issues that would help you focus on whether you're right or left or, like most people in this country, somewhere in the middle.

7. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

How exactly does one become "Far Central"?

You seem left of center to me.

8. MACDRIVE thread starter macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Do people have the perception that those in the middle can't be trusted? That they are wishy-washy people that could swing either way?

9. MACDRIVE thread starter macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Did the nazis terminate pregnancies that were destined to be a birth defect? I didn't know they did that, I always thought they wanted to kill healthy Jewish people. :confused:

Everyone always says that you are either pro choice or pro life; you can't have it both ways. What I should have said earlier, is that parents should be given the option of being able to ask the doctor to terminate the pregnancy after being informed of the pending birth defects. What do you guys think about that notion? I'm hoping that gets me away from the perception of being a nazi.

10. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

such things are way too complicated to ask such questions. i think 20/20 was being irresponsible by suggesting the country is so polarized. national politics are, but i think if you examine how most people feel about most issues, you'd find that most people are "in the middle".

but that's boring, media-wise. and that does little good to two parties which try to differentiate themselves from each other. so we get inundated with opinions about those few things about which people do tend to disagree: abortion, the role of religion in government, flag burning, etc.

it's always funny to me how fairly moderate opinions are portrayed as extreme, such as wanting national healthcare. TRUE extreme positions are such things as:
    1. wanting to adopt a state religion
    2. abolishment of banking institutions
    3. racial segregation
    4. abolishment of federal government

no one who hangs around here on a semi-regular basis is far anything, afaic. the most outrageous suggestion we've had lately was from that saab guy the other day, who wanted (iirc) the US to become a christian nation.

but many in the GOP will call treasonous anyone who wants investigations into the handling of the intelligence leading to the iraq war. with that kind of polarizing message, repeated by the complicit MSM, what hope do we 98% in the middle have of holding rational debate and conversation?

11. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

well, no, because they didn't have that technology. but the third reich was obsessed with genetic perfection and eugenics.

and that's the kind of stupid polarization to which i referred above. here's a little secret that shouldn't be so secret: pro-choicers hate abortion.

they currently have that option, courtesy roe v wade.

12. MACDRIVE thread starter macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

I'm relieved to hear you say that. I was beginning to think of myself as some kind of radical freak. :(

13. MACDRIVE thread starter macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

zimv20
    Auhh, this thing is starting to make sense to me. The media is over dramatizing the issues in order to get you to tune in, and the politicians are trying to drive a wedge between people in order to get you to vote for them. Is this an accurate assessment?

14. Queso macrumors G4

Silly question really. We never see ourselves as anything other than centrist, since we all think our views are the correct ones.

So you're a centrist, as are we all :)

15. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

basically, yes, though i'd probably say it's more hype than drama.

16. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Just because we think our views are correct, it does not follow that we view ourselves as in the centre. There is a spectrum of opinion, after all.

17. MACDRIVE thread starter macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

That brings to me another question: Is the British definition of what is considered far left or far right the same as American's?

18. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

No. Opinions regarded as "far left" in the States are often mainstream orthodoxy in Europe - not just the UK.

19. MACDRIVE thread starter macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Oh I see. Is that why the media has said that Europeans prefer an American president to be a democrat?

20. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Exactly.

21. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

My best advice is to not stereotype anyone.

I think the idea of conservative and liberal have been twisted, trying to lump individuals into a certain group.

Liberal meaning that you are in favor of allowing people the Freedom to make their own personal informed decisions,
    where conservative has now unfortunately come to mean those who wish to have their views forced on everyone.

So if you're following me here, liberals are thought of as free thinkers, where conservatives are generally thought of as those who abide by the
    laws of the land.

In my view, a political conservative "should be" someone who strongly defends the protections of our U.S. Constitution and The Bill of Rights.
    Someone who is strongly opposed to corruption in our leadership.
    Someone who believes in undeniable accuracy of our elections.
    Someone who puts America first and then tries to help others if we are able.
    Someone who understands the importance of the separation of powers and the separation of church and state.

So I guess you have to ask yourself if you are a political conservative or simply a social conservative.

I'm not sure where you would then fit Christian Conservatives since they
    are generally thought of as those who prefer that everyone follows their personal interpretation of Christian values.

22. MACDRIVE thread starter macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

FFTT
    I always thought that the Christian Conservatives were considered to be far right, and that they are always trying to influence the republican party. Is that an accurate assessment?

23. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

That seems to be the generally accepted view and this is why I said we should not stereotype.

So where does this put Constitutional values that provide for freedom of religion while also providing for the separation of church and state?

If you're following me, then it would stand to reason that if you were truly
    a political conservative, you would be strongly opposed to the influence
    of extreme religious views in our government.

This is why I think it is crucial that we confront political candidates with where they stand on the protection of Constitutional values.

We must also question the motives of any politician who permits
    personal religious values to become an issue in their campaign.

In this country, our forefathers believed that each one of us has the freedom to follow our own personal faith, but that we must also protect
    and respect the rights of others to think differently.

If the citizens and our leadership permit the influence of extreme Christian values in our government, then how does that make us any different from nations who support other religious extremes?
    If we allow extreme Christian fundementalists to take over our leadership,
    then we are doomed to fight a holy war.

Is this really what the majority of people want for our future?

As a nation, we must rise above and set an example.

24. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Sounds like a fantastic dream land in which I want to live forever.

Someone please smuggle me to Europe.

On topic (sort of) though, I was watching the Colbert Report the other night, and he had this really funny segment on small government vs. big government. He said something to the effect of, "in small government, you mention jesus in your speeches, in big government, you actually do what jesus says." I got a pretty good kick out of it.

25. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Really the Nazi killed about 13Million in the holocaust, out of which about 6 million were jews, the rest being POWs, Gays, JOhavas Witnesses, Gypsies, Communist and Diabled people, Not to play down the 6 million jewish people, but to ignore the rest would be ignoring more then half of the loses