Am I Freaking NUTTS??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mocman, Dec 8, 2006.

1. mocman macrumors regular

I have a Dual G5 1.8 etc. I also have it hooked up to a 20" Widescreen dell lcd. I have sold the powermac and lcd for $2300.00 and I really just thru the price out there and this lady gave me the cash.
    Anyway of course I do a little A/V stuff for a few friends and family. I have been Very pleased with the dp 1.8 over the years. I have purchased a macbook a few months ago. I have looked at the 24" iMac and really love the size and looks of it. I know the new imac should be faster than my dual 1.8 but will I see a big diff? I have read reviews on the imac and everyone seems to love it and state it is upgradable in the future.
    My real problem is I love the 24" form factor of the Imac but I do not want to think I made a BAD mistake a year down the road. Will the Imac be suffice enough over the Macpro. I could also save some cash on the Imac to boot.......Please post your exp with the Imac........Thanks MC (so confused)

2. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Here's a little comparison of the current 24" iMac versus some G5 ones, you'll see it renders in iMovie at almost twice the speed of a 2.1Ghz G5 iMac. A MacPro would kick it's ***, though. I guess it comes down to whether or not you really need the power, versus the money. If you do a little A/V, and aren't hardcore into rendering video and whatnot, you'd be happy with the iMac, and save a load of dough to boot. The MacPro is on the professional end of things, and I'd only really recommend it if this is more than a hobby, and it's something that you think you'll be doing seriously for a while.

Edit: And here's the MacPro versus other Powermacs:
    http://barefeats.com/quad12.html

3. fall3n macrumors 6502

i don't think you'll regret it. it's one hell of a computer

4. mocman thread starter macrumors regular

yea I am leaning toward the Imac 24" so far. I mean I purchased the dual 1.8 years ago and really just did a few movies and photos to dvd but nothing real intense.
    I also do Like the Mac Pro side of upgrades in the future. I seem to be the type that keeps things as long as they perform to my task.
    I just get a headache thinking of which one to buy..........That is why I am wanting your input on this.....Thanks MC

5. Neonguy macrumors 6502

Nope, the lady who pay you $2,300 for your system is nut. Knowing stock config Mac Pro is only $2,499. Dell 20 is cheap around $100 on ebay. So you did get good money for it. I wouldn't think you regret getting the 24 Inch iMac. I have seen it at the local store and it look amazing! The LCD screen it use is crisp and clear, black uniform lighting. And yet I havent seen many people who own it complain about dead pixels. I wish the same could say to the Apple 23 Cinema Display. I read couple of Mac magazine that did speed test and it just amazing. Good for playing games on it also. So yeah, you will love this machine.

6. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Could you send me a link to an auction where the 2005FPW is $100? Cause I'd love that. I've only seen them from $250 - $350.

Thanks!

7. Neonguy macrumors 6502

Hmm..I don't see it there anymore. Sometime people put good deal on eBay. Some people got their 23 ACD on ebay for $600 buck! Got me mad. Keep checking back on eBay now but find $800 is cheapest. Look for one that almost end in 1 to 2 hours and snatch it at the last minute.

8. mocman thread starter macrumors regular

Yea I paid over $550.00 for the lcd in the day. If you find them anywhere for $100.00 I will own a bunch more. I also sold the lady a few programs with the powermac so in reality she got a deal.
    Anyway Thanks for all the Input as I am leaning toward the Imac 24" and after reading all nite I can not seem to find any problems. I also know it will Smoke my old G5 from the test above.......

9. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

I say go for the 24" iMac - my MacBook Core Duo 2.0 kicks the living **** out of my iMac G5 1.9GHz. *imagines a 2.33 Core 2 Duo against a G5 1.9*

10. mocman thread starter macrumors regular

I am about 1/2 day away from getting the 24" Imac. The only question that I have is I do not want to the owner of OLD tech when macworld comes out.
    Do any of you think a new 24" will be released?? Thanks

11. freebooter macrumors 65816

freebooter

fact: Thus far my 24 is mechanically flawless, with no dead pixels, strange fan noises, etc., and, now that Disk Warrior 4.0 for Intel is out, no weird software prob.s.
    opinion: I don't think a MacPro is needed for what you're doing. And the memory costs too much. And the case is too big.

You might as well wait, though, for Macworld because it's close and there may be some sort of upgrade.
    And, just maybe, there could some new, mid-range product released. (MacPro NanoTower)

12. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT