Am I getting free Personal Hotspot on the iPhone 5 Verizon?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stoopkitty, Sep 30, 2012.

1. macrumors member

I switched to Verizon when I got an iPhone 5 last week, but I didn't sign up for personal hotspot, unless they signed me up without telling me. But when I go into settings, I am able to turn personal hotspot on. Did it just charge me $20? Is this a new thing where it is now free? On AT&T, when I tried to use personal hotspot (it wasn't on my plan), it wouldn't let me and told me to call AT&T and add it.

I'm wondering if it's free for everyone because of this.

2. macrumors 65816

It's part of your share everything plan. It uses your 2GB of data or whatever limit you have.

3. macrumors member

Personal Hotspot is able to be turned on on my iPhone 4, too. Looked at my features on their website and I am still not paying for it. Weird. Also, I still have unlimited data.

4. macrumors regular

illippinno

From my understanding, there is no extra charge to use the hotspot. It has been discussed before that there was a court ruling that prevented Verizon and AT&T from tacking on an extra charge.

The first time I got my iPhone 5, I turned it on and used it the first day with my Verizon 4gb Shared Data plan and my bill didn't show any additional charges for using it.

5. macrumors regular

armoredsaint

yup^^^^

sadly it's not active on mine since I have a grandfathered unlimited plan with VZW unless I change my plan or pay the extra $30 to turn it on IIRC :(

6. macrumors 65816

boomhower

It's part of the shared plan. They can still charge for tethering, they just can't block apps in the app store which isn't a problem on iOS it just affected Android. With tiered data and LTE speeds they want to give you every opportunity to burn up data. Tethering is a great way for them to let you do that.

7. macrumors 68030

From A Buick 8

So what is the deal with the personal hotspot, Verizon, the court ruling, LTE.

I have read conflicting post , about Verizon not being aloud to charge extra to tether LTE, but that only applies to apps that allow tethering not the built in hotspot.

8. macrumors 601

9. macrumors 68030

From A Buick 8

Thanks, I read through it and it does seem that I would be aloud to use an app that creates a hotspot to share my unlimited LTE ( unless I'm reading it wrong). Not sure if it applies to the built in hotspot in iOS

10. macrumors 65816

reclusive46

I suppose you could argue Settings is an app :p

11. macrumors 68040

KdParker

12. macrumors 68030

From A Buick 8

So are any of you using it?