Am I good at killing cars or what?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by davefan6435, Dec 20, 2005.

1. davefan6435 macrumors regular

Well some of you may remember that I killed my parents minivan about a month ago so we had to get a new one. Well this morning I was doing my paper route in the car and the thing just up and died on me and it wouldn't start. So we got it towed and the mechanic today said the engine is dead. Apparently i'm just amazing at killing cars even though its not my fault I swear to god. BTW were looking into buying a toyota camry or a honda accord. Any recommendations would be appreciated. The car that died today was a 1993 Ford Taurus.

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

When the red light on the dashboard flashes, pull over and add oil. ;)

Otherwise check the oil every now and then, but it won't help solve the head gasket leak problem on the Taurus anyhow.

3. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

Have you had other mechanics look at it?? I'm not saying the one you took it to was lieing but sometimes they exaggerate things.

Just recently my truck died (i dont even drive the truck anymore) and my dad took it to a mechanic to look at it. You must know that my dad works at an AutoZone store and pretty much knew what had happened. Well, the mechanic made up some BS and told us that it would cost about twice what my dad knew it would.

I think the problem in our situation was the distributor fried and that had to be replaced. So there was no spark to the engine and it made it completely stop running, would not start or move or anything.

As for the cars you are looking at i dont really know. One of my aunts has a honda accord and likes it. But seeing as you are in WI you might want to look at some sort of all-wheel-drive or 4x4 vehicle.

4. davefan6435 thread starter macrumors regular

Well I'm not worried about the mechanic lying to us because weve been going to the same place for the last 20 years or so and our last van that was an 89 lasted till 2003 before it died and started smoking. Basically they do a good job where we go and they know us rather well. We all figured it was gonna die soon it was afterall almost 13 years old.

5. g^3 macrumors member

I'd go for a honda. I had a 93 accord that i sold at 200,000 miles, it ran great. I would have kept it but the mechanics in my area would over exaggerate the problems and it became a pain to get routein maintenance done without getting ripped off, so i opted for a newer car with a warranty. Goodluck on your search for a new car.

6. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

That's gotta suck! I hope your parents aren't being too hard on you. I'd go for the Honda Accord. Awesome cars, reliable, very difficult to break.

7. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Both the Accord and Camry are good, I've had an 88 Camry (burned up in a fire, I swear it wasn't my fault. Have your mechanic check the Camry for cracked fuel filler pipe....) and an older Legend, which was an Accord. Got some body rot in the Legend, and the top end had gotten rattly, but its going on 20 years old now and has 175Km + and we bought it used for $7K. IIRC the only really weak spot on the 88 Camry was the exhaust system, tended to rot out every 2 - 3 years -- would have been worth the extra for the lifetime guaranteed exhaust that Toyota offered.

Parents have a 2003 Camry and it is sweet to drive. We're probably replacing the Legend with a Yaris.

8. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I would have to recommend a Honda Accord as a good replacement car.

That was my first model of car and it served me very well. :)

9. davefan6435 thread starter macrumors regular

Well my dad gave me a hard time for the first one cause I had snuck out at the time but this one he already said it wasn't my fault. The second my dad said he wanted to either get an accord or a camry I immediately wanted an accord because one of my friends has like a green 2000 accord I think and ive always liked them a lot. I'm just glad hes not going for like a civic or corolla just because I like the space of the accord. Hopefully thats what we'll end up with but ill keep you posted after we go shopping this weekend and hopefully buy a new one.

10. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

well the honda engines just keep going -- i'm hitting 172000 on my CRV and no problems other then maintenance and repairs and replacements due to wair and tear ... well .. .and the two accidents i had -- LOL

11. corywoolf macrumors 65816

corywoolf

Go for a Subaru WRX with all wheel drive or go for a honda civic. I have a civic and like it a lot. It's a '98 DX manual transmission. It has a tape deck that works perfect with my ipod. Do research on the model and year that you are looking to get and always get used cars looked over by another mechanic. Don't let the salesmen pressure you into a sale (obvious).

Good luck!

12. davefan6435 thread starter macrumors regular

We have no problems dealing with salespeople and we screw them everytime jusat about because we pay cash for all our cars. When we were buying our van one dealership has a price that was 2,000 more than another place. The saleman talked to his manager and proceeded to drop the price 2,000 right there :p Though I must say we are kinda pressured to buy a car very shortly considering its winter break almost and both of my brother s are home so we have 5 people driving one car which just sucks.

13. todd2000 macrumors 68000

Its a Ford what did you expect?

Don't worry its not your fault I had a 1994 Taurus, it was the biggest POC I've ever drove :) Kept stalling, had to have the Heads, and the Gasket replaced and even then everytime I stopped at a light the oil light would flicker spastically, and the car would shake. It was fine while driving. I had the oil pump replaced still did it. Finally I just junked it and bought a Jetta :)