Am I just not getting Mission Control?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Tydog07, Jul 28, 2011.

1. macrumors 6502

I recently upgraded to Lion and I thought the purpose of Mission Control was to seamlessly swipe between all your open apps. When I use the trackpad and I have more than one app open, and I swipe 4 fingers up, I get the Mission Control screen, but it only shows my desktop and dashboard. If I use 3 fingers to swipe either way, it only goes between safari (desktop) and dashboard.

For example right now I have safari and bit torrent open, if I swipe either way, I only get dashboard. How do I set it up so that I can scroll through all my open apps/windows? Am I just not getting the purpose of this feature?

2. macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

In your case, with apps open all on the same desktop (a.k.a. a Spaces space in 10.6-speak), Mission Control is no different than Exposé. If you want to swipe left/right to move from app to app you need to open each app on a separate desktop (or open capable apps to full-screen mode).

3. thread starter macrumors 6502

That sounds interesting, how do I open a new desktop?

4. macrumors regular

Mrguidogenio

Enter Mission Control, then move your mouse to the top right corner. A new desktop should appear there. Click it to add it next to your current desktop.

5. macrumors newbie

Open Mission Control and move your cursor to the top right of the screen. You'll see an option to create a new desktop. You can drag an app to it from Mission Control and have it setup there. Alternatively, you can simply make an app full screen, and it will create a new desktop for that app. You can then switch between that app (in full screen) and your "regular" desktop.

6. macrumors 68030

Setting an app to full screen mode will make it live in its own desktop, which is swipeable...I've been using that a lot.

7. thread starter macrumors 6502

Dude, you guys are amazing, that is so cool! That will definitely increase productivity!