am i locked in to the airport extreme?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by bursty, Feb 9, 2004.

1. bursty macrumors 6502a

bursty

i just ordered my new 15" PB :D and was just making sure about the network settings. I currently have a Linksys 802.11g wireless network running my 3 PCs, and was just making sure the PB will work flawlessly on that network. Theres no need for me to get an Airport Extreme righ?.....hopefully?

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

You'll need an airport extreme card to go in your powerbook but you won't need an airport extreme base station to serve the wireless internet.

3. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

Did you order an Airport Extreme card for the PB? If you didn't, then get one and install it, and you'll have no problem using it with your Linksys or other third party router.

I'm currently typing this most on my iBook which is connected wirlessly to a Linksys 802.11G router.

4. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

AirPort is just Apple's term for 802.11x wireless networking.

5. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Question...

the 2599 version has airport extreme built in. There is another option for wireless networking, you can install a pci card in the slot.
    But don't. Buy an airport extreme, it will work fine with any wireless network.

6. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Re: am i locked in to the airport extreme?

I have the Linksys WRT54G (802.11g and 10/100BaseT router) at home, and it works just fine.

7. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

another

I have a d-link. The airport extreme base stations are nice for high-security, better reception type needs, but in my apartment, my cheap lil wireless router does the job just fine.

8. niter macrumors 6502

Re: am i locked in to the airport extreme?

The new PB comes with airport extreme in it already. If this is the 15" you purchased, then you do not have to get an additional airport extreme card.

9. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

it should work. however, keep in mind that if you want to enjoy extreme speeds you will have to make sure there are not any non-extreme wireless devices in your network.

for example a wifi printer or a wifi lcd projector; those are generally made according to B-spec (the regular airport). most of the time one non-extreme member drops the extreme from everyone. that should depend on the wireless router's capabilities, though.

just don't expect too much from the wireless link...

10. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Re: Re: am i locked in to the airport extreme?

The 1.25Ghz 15" comes with the card, you have to add it to the 1GHz.

11. Santiago macrumors regular

I assume you're using x to stand as a variable that can take on the values of b and g, but 802.11x is, I believe, a separate security standard that can be used in conjunction with some implementations of the 802.11b, 802.11g, and 802.11a communications protocols. (They need to get some better names...)

12. bursty thread starter macrumors 6502a

bursty

the PB i ordered has the Airport Extreme built in.....now, will i be able to network my other PCs with my PB? Are PCs and Macs networkable? for file sharing and such?

13. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

yes and yes

Just turn on windows sharing in sys prefs.

14. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

yes

15. bursty thread starter macrumors 6502a

bursty

awesome, i was pretty worried....wanted to make sure i could still transfer mp3s and videos and stuff back and forth :D