Am I missing something? (Safari vs Firefox)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by pcpacker, Nov 10, 2004.

1. pcpacker macrumors member

I have used both Safari and Firefox, and I can't figure out why people are trashing Safari. They seem very similar to me (tabs, bookmarks, etc.). What is it about Firefox that makes it better?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

3. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

I think it's best to have both. Firefox is better at handling certain types of websites that Safari pukes all over...but I use Safari 99.9% of the time.

4. Inkmonkey macrumors 6502

Great Orange Orangutans! I'm pretty much exclusive to Safari now. Haven't had any problems with websites "puking."

5. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

I am all Safari on my Mac and all FireFox on my (or anybody's, thanks to running it off the thumbdrive) PC

6. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

Welp, most of the time it's not a full-on puke, but more of a hitch. ;)

For instance, if you travel to http://www.vw.com/ and try to click on any of the active menus with Safari, it goes nowhere (I mean the "VW Models" "VW Etc" "VW the company" menus). Firefox doesn't have this problem. I know it VW's crappy website, but I keep Firefox on board for just those instances.

7. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

I use and like both Safari and Firefox. I use Safari as my primary browser, but my online banking site works better with Firefox for example. I certainly believe that the two can co-exist peacefully together and I haven't heard anyone really praising one and trashing the other that I can think of.

8. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I like em both a lot. I would use firefox all the time except that it doesn't spell check as you type. :eek:

9. russed macrumors 68000

russed

i like both of them and i have used both of them for my primary browser (along with camino) for a few months each. i like them all very much but while i was at home over summer and only being able to use a dial up connection i found that safari was the slowest of the lot so i have not gone back to it of late. maybe i will when 1.3 comes out soon (i say hoping they have speeded things up a bit!)

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I use Firefox most of the time and it works much better than anything else for me. I find Safari useful only when the website doesn't work well with Firefox. The speed and ease of use with Firefox just seems to fit me better. It seems to support the Macintosh philosophy better than anything else, including Safari.

11. pcpacker thread starter macrumors member

I meant literally deleting safari and using firefox. There was a long thread on it when I did a search.

12. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

One should not need multiple web browsers to view pages on the same internet.

13. coconn06 macrumors regular

It's funny because I have the opposite opinion. Maybe it has something to do with the speed of the computer. I have a 3.5 year old iBook, and Safari runs noticeable faster than Firefox. Perhaps when I get my PowerMac, Firefox will become a more attractive option.

Has anyone else had the same experience?

14. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Has anyone tried the "PowerMac G5 optimized verison of FireFox "??

I installed this version on an iMac G5, but haven't noticed any difference with the "normal" version... :confused:

15. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

So with Firefox and Safari, I can remove Internet Exploder ?

16. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

Not recomended. There are a lot of IE only sites out there.

17. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Yes. And they are to be avoided :D

18. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

You have to access a 64-bit website to see the difference. Duh! :D :p :rolleyes:

Not sure that a browser really needs the whole G5 optimiztion, though I could be wrong.

19. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

nice browser, faster than camino, right now and IMO... but it's taking 14% CPU when idle :confused:

20. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Hmmm...maybe it's designed to devote one processor to each tab. As long as you run only two tabs. Just think of what it'll be like when macosrumors' quad-core PM's come out! *decides to shut up now* :p

21. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

What is idle, really? Turn off your animated .gif files. :D Thunderbird uses a lot of the same base code and takes around 2 percent, as does Firefox when it's not displaying animation.

22. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Have you tried it?

I don't get it either. MacBidouille (HardMac.com) , have mentioned the "G5 optimized" version since RC1.
    is this a hoax, or am I missing something here...??? :confused: :rolleyes:

23. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I used Internet Exploder to renew my driver's licence because nothing else was compatible.

24. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Eh... past tense?

25. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

September would be past, so past tense is required. No, the state of Floriduh (or is that confusion?) has not updated to something else.