Am I missing something?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by edwardk9, May 6, 2005.

1. macrumors member

edwardk9

I am looking to purchase and ibook from ebay and people are selling 3 year old laptops 500mhz for almost 650.00!!!! Why would ANYONE pay that much for something like that when for just a little more you could get a brand new laptop twice that speed?

Are they build different? Am I just missing something all together?

2. macrumors Core

All of Apple's computers retain their value pretty well, although that seems just a bit too high for those iBooks its not crazy pricing either

3. macrumors G3

What you'r emissing is the fact that very often these days EBay is no longer a good deal for general merchandise. Go to the Apple store and look at the refurbished iBooks. Those at least come with a 1 year warranty and you can purchase AppleCare for them.

4. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Bear is right. Unless you're hard core collector of some old Apples...I wouldn't buy a mac off ebay. I saw my exact powerbook listed for $100 over list price. Stupid.

I also wonder why people buy things like the new powerbooks and then sell them 3 months later. I presume many of them buy on credit and sell for cash and then never pay apple. some people could care less about their own credit.

5. macrumors 65816

topgunn

But thats the great thing about ebay. You buy a computer from Apple and use it for a few months until something better comes along and then you sell it on ebay for more than what you bought it for. How great is that. I have had top of the line computers for the last 3 years and it hasnt cost me a dime.