Am I safe from Msn hackers?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by joelovesapple, Feb 22, 2007.

1. joelovesapple macrumors 6502a

joelovesapple

I know this seems a somewhat stupid question but thought I'd ask anyway just to be sure. First of all I am using a 24" iMac with 10.4.8, a majority of ports closed, firewall on and in stealth mode. I also have a hardware firewall built into the router (some kind of Speedtouch version). I have all latest security updates installed (and quite fanatical about it) and of course don't reveal anything about my computers' IP address to anybody at all.

For the majority of instant messaging I am using Adium which was recently updated. Plus I use the msn segment within it. I would love to use ichat AV more often but nobody I know really has a Mac apart from 2 people. Shame how everyone has Msn these days (well in my friendship group anyway).

I have got the security settings in Safari (the only browser I use to a high, but functional setting and its great - loads up pages quickly and never had a single popup.

However I am just curious about these Msn hackers you hear of. This Mac is networked with a Windows machine and that is obviously on the same router, plus it has an AV firewall on it plus the XP SP2 firewall turned on.

Thanks for listening. I still like to be vigilant.;) :apple:

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

MSN hackers generally target the official MSN client itself (which is known to be full of security holes) instead of third-party clients like Adium. The chances of you being attacked are low to begin with, and extremely low if you add in your security setup. I think you're about 99.9% safe, which is excellent considering that 100% safety is impossible.

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Don't have two firewalls enabled on the PC they can interfere and the XP SP2 one is rubbish, so I'd disable it ;).

4. joelovesapple thread starter macrumors 6502a

joelovesapple

Ok, thanks Eraserhead;) And thanks wrldwzard89:)

For some reason I was slightly worried, but why should I be? I'm using OS X! (without getting too complacent:cool: ):D :apple: :apple: