Am I screwed?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by jwt, Jul 2, 2008.

1. jwt
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

I photostitched a panorama, at which time I realized that the tripod wasn't level. I really wanted to do a large print of this (it's 40 megapixels). Is there any way of salvaging this shot?

Attached Files:

2. LaJaca
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

LaJaca

'fraid so; you'd need to do some creative cropping, or split it in half. Screwed? No. Misfortunate? Sure. But still a great pic. What did you use for a lens?

Actually, I think I'm wrong. You may be able to clone the light blue sky in the upper left (someone else: please pitch in on how to get this done) to help square out that corner and allow a better cropping aspect.

3. Full of Win
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68030

Full of Win

Could you clone the mountain side on the right to the open gap on the bottom right corner? I'l admit its not an optimal fix.

4. r.j.s
    Expand Collapse
    Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

That is a lot of cloning, and making a really large print from it - You'd be able to tell, easily.

5. Abstract
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I say 1/3rd of the photo, starting from the very left, looks pretty good. I don't even care for the mountain because of how big the shadow is. I don't like the shadow on the left side either, but it's less distracting.

6. a104375
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

a104375

you could definitely salvage this but it would either take some innovative cropping or some master cloning of the sky and mountain and I mean master because if it is not almost perfect you will see it when its printed full size

7. javabear90
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

javabear90

just rotate the canvas like so. You might want to do a little bit of cloning, but nothing major.

-Ted

Attached Files:

8. jwt
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter macrumors 6502

I did that originally, but it's obvious that the mesas and the river aren't level.

Is it possible to skew the sky and have it come out looking naturally? Would I be better off shooting the sky again and slip it in behind the mountains in photoshop?

Canon EF 70-200 f/4L IS -- super sharp, highly detailed image, that I hate to throw away.

That's what I though, especially because there are a lot of trees in the lower right.

9. ChrisA
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors G4

You could always bend the image a little, so the horizon is not a straight line. But do that just a little and then, what I'd do is loose 14 to 1/3rd of the right side, clone the sky on the left side to make that corner taller and do the same on the bottom right but only a little and yo might doge the clone job on the right to make it dark and hard to see. I think you could salvage most of the image. I assume you have photoshop or elements.

10. jwt
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter macrumors 6502

Photoshop CS3. Thanks for the advice. I'll see what I can do.

11. LaJaca
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

LaJaca

Keep us posted on your result - would love to learn what you did, if it works out.