Am I taking care of my Powerbook's battery correctly?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by dferigmu, May 1, 2005.

1. dferigmu macrumors 6502

I have a 15" 1.5Ghz G4 PB that I keep on my desk. Before, I was told that to keep the battery going, since I always have the PB plugged in, I should run the battery to empty about once a month and then recharge it.

I am about to buy an iPod mini and I just read that it’s bad to completely deplete the iPod AND PB's battery. The difference between the iPod and PB is, my PB stays plugged in and the iPod mini's battery would constantly be in use.

So am I still doing the right thing with the PB battery?

2. andrewfee macrumors 6502

It's not going to kill the battery, but it's recommended to only do a full discharge once a month or so to keep it calibrated.

I doubt you'd use a full charge in a day with the iPod (unless you have it on the entire time) so just top it up each night.

3. dferigmu thread starter macrumors 6502

By "top it up," do you mean charge it? I'll probably only run the iPod mini a couple hours a day and I heard it was bad to constantly recharge it. Since the battery lasts 18+ hours, I probably only charge it about once a week.

4. wide macrumors 6502a

does is actually make a difference, whether you drain your laptops battery once a month? the battery installed in your powerbook could easily be a year older than your powerbook, if it was sitting in the factories a long time. i would stop discharging your powerbook's battery every month just so you save some time.

5. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Some info from Apple regarding notebook battery maintenance, and some mroe here regarding iPod batteries :)