Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
This might come off as an Android vs iOS sort of thing, but I completely don't intend for it to be.

I just don't find myself being able to stick with any Android phones. I keep going back to them on the basis that "come on, they're awesome". It could be the screen or the size or the camera, but I keep thinking that this next time I'm going to stick with it. And every time I try for a few days, or maybe a month or two, and then it's back to the iPhone.

Android just ... doesn't excite me as much as iOS does. To me, there's something about an experience that is finely tuned from the hardware to software that makes me giggle like a little school girl. And I can't say I've felt that when I used either the Galaxy S6 or the Nexus 6. Is there something different about me that makes me incapable of sticking with Android, despite the fact that it fascinates me on a deeper level?

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
This might come off as an Android vs iOS sort of thing, but I completely don't intend for it to be.

I just don't find myself being able to stick with any Android phones. I keep going back to them on the basis that "come on, they're awesome". It could be the screen or the size or the camera, but I keep thinking that this next time I'm going to stick with it. And every time I try for a few days, or maybe a month or two, and then it's back to the iPhone.

Android just ... doesn't excite me as much as iOS does. To me, there's something about an experience that is finely tuned from the hardware to software that makes me giggle like a little school girl. And I can't say I've felt that when I used either the Galaxy S6 or the Nexus 6. Is there something different about me that makes me incapable of sticking with Android, despite the fact that it fascinates me on a deeper level?
There is nothing wrong with not liking Android or any phones running it. It just means you prefer IOS and the iPhone.
Stick with what "makes you giggle like a little school girl" :) I do think Apple does a great job blending hardware and software. Just enjoy your iphone and be happy!

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
There is nothing wrong with not liking Android or any phones running it. It just means you prefer IOS and the iPhone.
Stick with what "makes you giggle like a little school girl" :) I do think Apple does a great job blending hardware and software. Just enjoy your iphone and be happy!

I guess that's my biggest problem right there, I never know how to just be happy.

Also, maybe I read too much MacRumors. I mean, I was just reading a thread where the question of the value proposition came up repeatedly. Maybe I'm putting too much stock in what I read around here (this board in general, not this forum specifically).

Thank you.

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
Android to me is like owning a car you built yourself like a hot rod. You can customise it, stick in a super powerful engine with the best specs.

But in the end it doesn't feel as good to drive day to day like an off the assembly line sedan. Not as comfortable. I feel that iOS and iPhones are that curated experience of an off the line fully assembled car that you don't need to stress about, it just works and works well and you don't have to tinker with it.

Reactions: Skoal and HiDEF

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I guess that's my biggest problem right there, I never know how to just be happy.

Also, maybe I read too much MacRumors. I mean, I was just reading a thread where the question of the value proposition came up repeatedly. Maybe I'm putting too much stock in what I read around here (this board in general, not this forum specifically).

Thank you.
Just keep in mind when you are reading about other phones..." I prefer IOS and iPhone". They might be great phones but they are not for me! lol :)

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
Just keep in mind when you are reading about other phones..." I prefer IOS and iPhone". They might be great phones but they are not for me! lol :)

Obviously I don't want to tell anyone what phone to use and enjoy. I really hope everyone here finds the phone that they enjoy the most. There is not one thing that is for everyone, no matter how much some people with there was.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Obviously I don't want to tell anyone what phone to use and enjoy. I really hope everyone here finds the phone that they enjoy the most. There is not one thing that is for everyone, no matter how much some people with there was.
For me I switch back and forth between the 6+, N4 and S6 so I not one to talk. I can't make up my mind which phone I like best. I use the 6+ for while then miss the N4...then miss the S6 and then rinse and repeat!

Reactions: HiDEF

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
The problem with the iPhone for me, is that it just doesn't feel new. The software and hardware design is essentially the same. You can say the same for Android phones, but iPhone is the least dramatic when it comes to evolution. Besides the obvious differences, using an iPhone 6 feels the same as using an iPhone 4S.

Samsung has been very good at keeping my interest. From always upgraded screens, evolving touchwiz, tons of features that are useful or gimmicks, and competitive specs. Android itself for it's openness.

I'm still waiting for the day when an iPhone release feels like a shiny new device, cause shiny new things keep my interest. And the iPhone at present just doesn't give me that feeling. It actually makes me feel like buying a previous model back is a better deal.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
Android to me is like owning a car you built yourself like a hot rod. You can customise it, stick in a super powerful engine with the best specs.

But in the end it doesn't feel as good to drive day to day like an off the assembly line sedan. Not as comfortable. I feel that iOS and iPhones are that curated experience of an off the line fully assembled car that you don't need to stress about, it just works and works well and you don't have to tinker with it.

I disagree about the car thing if I built it it will be better in every aspect because I built it and did so for a reason.

===

I don't love either iOS or Android and will not own a phone powered by either ever again

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
Android and iOS have different strengths and weaknesses. As someone who likes to tinker with their electrical devices I obviously prefer Android because I can do just about anything I want with it. But other people prefer the iOS approach of everything just working out of the box and not having to tinker to get what you want to work.

As a developer I like the fact that I can do whatever I want in Android where as Apple are much more restrictive about what you can do on iOS. But that's just me. If you like iOS by all means keep using it.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I disagree about the car thing if I built it it will be better in every aspect because I built it and did so for a reason.

===

I don't love either iOS or Android and will not own a phone powered by either ever again
Windows phones or Ubuntu phones or dare I say BB?

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007

I just feel like with Android you're almost obligated to tinker. I prefer the stock experience of iOS.

This really is only a two horse race.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
The Ubuntu phone interests me. I wouldn't mind trying one...but only if it would work on Verizon.

Are they coming to the states? I haven't been watching because I'm still a couple years from having to go back.

I just feel like with Android you're almost obligated to tinker. I prefer the stock experience of iOS.

I don't tinker with either of my Android phones all I've done is remove widgets and take away the stock 4 screens. The phone world is a two horse race if OMG you gotta have an app for that and ya know gamez. I don't need apps for that and don't play games, as long as I can whatapp my wife check my mail and surf I'm good.

jeffe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008

I've stopped tinkering myself since going Nexus. The only changes I make are to my wallpaper and adding one app to my homescreen.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
The Ubuntu phone interests me. I wouldn't mind trying one...but only if it would work on Verizon.

I've been playing around with Ubuntu Touch on my Nexus 7. Installed easily using MultiROM manager and doesn't delete your main ROM.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I can't comment - I jump around like a schizophrenic nun on a trampoline.

I do agree with iOS (and to an extent windows phone) there is always a consistency - one that generally isn't there in android.

Battery life, stability, general coherence aesthetically in software and GUI that can often be elusive in Android.

Even my Nexus 6 is inconsistent battery wise with one day getting great, the next meh. At least with stock android and lollipop there is a now a consistency in gui aesthetics though compared to OEM Skins where there is still at times major inconsistency in quality / aesthetics.

That being said I do like flitting between devices and having the option to try something different.

Because I don't really settle down I do tend to purchase phones with resell in mind from the outset knowing that some devices will not get as good a resale value as others. The fact I do this from the outset in indicative that I don't expect the device to temper my interest in other devices.

As long as you can afford to do so - are not putting other things in your life at risk by doing so - then there is no harm done. Enjoy your flittering.

Maybe one day you will find the near perfect device and stop flittering, but until then flitter and be free ;)

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I don't have the money to jump around too much, but after trying android for awhile I'm ready to go back to iOS whenever I buy my next phone.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
How do you like it?

It's not as great as everyone thinks. It's not bad either.

The gestures remind me of when I had the BB Playbook. There is basically a gesture at every direction. Then there is long swipe gestures.

I like the pull down. Well thought out tab style. Which keeps you from constantly going into the settings.

The app store is decent for an OS that barely released. I would put it on Windows Phone level.

It also has a weird split screen multitasking that I haven't fully figured out yet. Basically some apps like to attach to the side of what the pull down menu space is. It's convenient.

Overall it's fast and very simplistic. Seems like they designed it for the user to handle everything on the same screen with gestures rather than go into differ screens into settings and etc.

Hard to judge how well it would do on a smartphone. But on a tablet, it's just okay. Nothing I haven't seen before.

Reactions: jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
It's not as great as everyone thinks. It's not bad either.

The gestures remind me of when I had the BB Playbook. There is basically a gesture at every direction. Then there is long swipe gestures.

I like the pull down. Well thought out tab style. Which keeps you from constantly going into the settings.

The app store is decent for an OS that barely released. I would put it on Windows Phone level.

It also has a weird split screen multitasking that I haven't fully figured out yet. Basically some apps like to attach to the side of what the pull down menu space is. It's convenient.

Overall it's fast and very simplistic. Seems like they designed it for the user to handle everything on the same screen with gestures rather than go into differ screens into settings and etc.

Hard to judge how well it would do on a smartphone. But on a tablet, it's just okay. Nothing I haven't seen before.
Thanks for the info! :)

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
When it comes down to it, for me android is just easier to use. It does more and usually does it quicker.

When I use my iPhone I feel like I have to jump through loops to accomplish similar or the same tasks.

Also, the back button. Cannot not have a back button anymore. With that iPhone I feel like I have to look for the back button. It's not always in the same place on the screen. Drives me a little nuts.

But in any case, I dabble with both worlds too. Plus I use an iPad. It's fun to have both. :)

Reactions: HiDEF

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010

Different strokes for different folks.

I like more obscure brands.

When I had iPods, I was looking into AnythingbutiPod from pmp devices from Cowon (South Korea) and Creative (Singapore).

I am probably the biggest oddball here. Whatever praises of Apple's cohesive EXPERIENCE here and negatives for Android, I feel the opposite. I am an Android loyalist these days. I don't prefer proprietary hardware and software to lock me in using them exclusively for those products. It was the problem I have with Sony for years and they never got the software right like Motorola and Nokia . Samsung is innovative in hardware, but software is an area they are also lacking.

But I figured it out with Android that whatever OEM I get, I can have a fairly similar experiences with differences in hardware quality. It's cool if someone doesn't like Android. People don't believe in God, hate the Beatles, or some people I know think The Godfather movies are a bore. Anything can be overrated or just isn't their cup of tea. I am playing Persona 4 Golden on the PS Vita and I just can't get into it like Final Fantasy X. I am more familiar with the latter. P4G, it seems teenager-cheesy to me and I can't control the moves of the other characters. Chaotic and graphics don't appeal to me. Alot of video games after the 6th generation don't interest me. Online, micro transactions, 95% of mobile games on phones/tablets, social links, etc. I can't understand the addiction with Clash of Clans. But then I like PS Vita even if it isn't popular in sales because I feel it is my Sony PS2 handheld. Maybe I am just too old or it just doesn't flow with me. I missed out an entire generation of gaming and alot of the best reviewed and popular games play like crap to me. It is the same with pop music.

Lately, I haven't too much interest with too much 2015 smartphones so the mobile OS debate doesn't interest me much since I already am secure which platform I prefer. For wishy-washy, maybe it is dilemma like kids picking SEGA or Nintendo in the early-1990's or the same arguments picking Mac over Windows. No perfect platform or phone, so the debate will always rage on. Alot of these debates are time wasters like Candy Crush and almost feel hollow and meaningless if you really evaluate it. I have heard of almost every debate. Go to any GameFaqs forum, debates for everyone. It is what you get with almost any forum debating whether Charlie Chaplin vs Buster Keaton, MJ vs Kobe, Ali vs Tyson, or for tech nerds - Android vs iOS (or Google/Samsung vs Apple). Just pick what you like, have fun, and stop caring about the rest.

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
I have done the same thing, back and forth multiple times. I always come back to the iPhone and I have given up on going away from an iPhone fully in the future.

I have basically decided that when I have extra money and want to play I will possibly get a second phone just for fun. I also just bought a Nexus 9 to give my self an android experience somewhere. I don't use my iPad enough to miss it like I do when I switch away from iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.