Am I the only one dissapointed that Fantasia won American Idol?

Discussion in 'Community' started by scem0, Jun 7, 2004.

1. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

At the beginning of the season I like Jasmine Trias, but she progressively got worse, so by the time she got voted off I didn't like her all that much any more.

But as quickly as Jasmine got worse, Diana Degarmo got better. Her voice improved a lot, and by the end I was rooting for her. Plus, even though her vocals weren't completely flawless, she still has a lot of maturing to do, vocally.

Fantasia, on the other hand, annoyed me from the beginning. Yes, I believe that an eccentric personality is a good thing. But she was annoyingly different, kind of like...... hmmmmm........ Macy Gray. 5 minutes of watching Fantasia - slightly entertaining. 1 hour of watching fantasia - increadibly frustrating.

Diana Degarmo, however, is a sweet, but mature 16 year old with a power-house voice. Her falsetto is kind of shaky, but her full voice is clear as a bell, and extremely powerful. She has a beautiful, yet different tone. I really loved her rendition of "don't cry out loud".

But, I'm sure that Diana has a bright future ahead of her. As Clay demonstrated, second can be first :).

scem0

2. windowsblowsass macrumors 6502a

3. Calvinatir macrumors 6502

Calvinatir

I second that...

4. dopefiend macrumors 6502

I dont know, I kinda liked Fantasia. She seemed pretty good to me and deserving.

windowsblowsass and Calvinatir:

How about yall delete your posts because aren't needed here. ;) If you don't care, then don't post.

5. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

I would never listen to any song that comes from an American Idol. But to make you feel better, I would rather listen to ANY other American Idol over and over for 24 hours then listen to that Fantasia girl, her voice is whiny and annoying. I would imagine that they would play her music over and over again in hell, she is that annoying to me.

But . . . they all are pretty annoying if you ask me :rolleyes:

6. windowsblowsass macrumors 6502a

so would you third my post

7. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    i was incredibly happy to see Fantasia win. the two of them have completely different styles so i guess it's all what you're into but i'd pick Fantasia over Diana any day. Sure Diana got better but she still couldn't come close to competing against Fantasia in my opinion. :D

8. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

No I wouldn't third your post, becuase you stated that no one cares, and that is clearly not the case. But, I happen to not really care.

9. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Who? What? Is that like Objetivo Fama in English? :D

10. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

I couldn't disagree more. Not only do I agree that Fantasia has a gravely/breathy voice reminiscent of Macy Gray (whom i can't stand), she was also rather arrogant. In addition I am sick of listening to "diva's" who think its musically cool to warble around a not, going up and down and all around rather than hitting the note solid and being able to hold it (as I heard Diana do).

Sure Diana had her mistakes, but nothing showed me the blatant and outright unproffesionalism of the judges, especially Randy and Paula, than the final show. On her first song Fantasia was awful, and instead of being honest they told her it was the arrangers fault? (Simon had the deceny to actually criticize her). Yet latter when Diana faltered alittle on the last song, but recovered and finished strong, they couldn't help but jump over themselves pointing out her failure. I gaurentee you if it had been Fantasia they would have congratulated her on finishing strong and not letting the mistake get to her, etc etc etc.

11. Aeolius macrumors 6502a

I suppose living near High Point, NC makes me somewhat biased. "Fantasia-mania" helps my local economy. My 10-year old son is also somewhat smitten with her and, through an unusual series of events, got to speak with her briefly on the phone. Yes, we will be going to see the American Idol tour in a few months.

12. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

the top 4, at least, now have recording contracts. So Its not like
    you'll never hear from diana, lotoya, or jasmine again. But after
    lotoya left, fantasia was the clear winner. Jasmine was great in
    the beginning but seemed to crack under the pressure.

BTW, did anyone notice the voice/music mix was bad consistently.
    The singers voice was always just tad under the music. Isn't it
    supposed to be the other way around?

13. g30ffr3y macrumors 6502a

g30ffr3y

i h8'd fantasia... that would be hate hate hate hated her...

oh well... ive moved on from american idol to for love or money...

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I didn't like any of them, but Fantasia clearly was the best singer of the lot. Diana was no match at all.

15. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    all you Diana lovers can rejoyce anyhow cause i think i heard on the radio that she's releasing a single soon anyhow. :p i hear the Macy Gray in Fantasias voice but there's not too much, and there is so much other classy smoothness in there as well.... good stuff is all i gotta say.

16. scem0 thread starter macrumors 604

scem0

Yeah, Diana is releasing a single pretty soon (June 22).

scem0

17. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

I only caught the last bit of each week's American Idol in order to be watching when 24 started (since they start the show off right away with no commercial break, and only a little of "last week on 24..."), but I have to say that I found Fantasia's voice to have a grating tone to it, and an underlying shrillness. There's a lot to be said for a singer who doesn't sound just like every other singer out there, but not if said singer reminds one of nails being scraped across a blackboard.

Diana, on the other hand, had not only a good strong voice, but hers was full and clear and mellow, and she could hold a note for what seemed like forever. The unfortunate thing was that her voice wasn't distinctive....it was just your standard, run-of-the-mill, diva-singer quality voice.

Still, if I was in hell and had to listen to one of them all day, I'd have picked Diana. Hands down.

18. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I think season 2 of Idol was a lot better as a whole than season 3, Diana was a better singer with a better range. She has a stronger voice as Fantasia's whinny high pitch squeals didn't do anything for me. But they are both pop stars and pop stars in general suck. Give me some Led Zeppelin any-day. :cool:

19. amin macrumors 6502a

amin

I agree with Simon that Fantasia is the best contestant on any "Idol" contestant in any of their various international contests ever. She is a unique talent. Diana, Latoya, Clay, Ruben, Kelly, and the rest are fairly generic. Only Fantasia had a unique style and took risks.

20. [Beta Code] macrumors newbie

[Beta Code]

Just my thought, but I think they're both as bad as each other.

21. upperblue79 macrumors regular

upperblue79

This was the first Idol season I have watched and I watched from episode 1 untill JPL was voted off, I had no interest in it anymore after that.

22. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I finally saw/heard Fantasia last week and I was quite surprised that she went so far with that voice. She may have range and be able to hit the notes well, but it was as pleasant as listening to a fire alarm. Mind you, I listen a lot to Patti LaBelle and she can make some notes and sounds that are off-putting at times but that's her style. I don't think that Fantasia can help it. If she thinks it sounds good, she's deluding herself.

23. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

It sounded like she had an average smoker's voice, but that is just because I don't like women who sing with a scratchy voice like that of a man, even though it is an octave or two higher.

24. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist