Am I the only one that likes mail 2.0?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jaseone, May 22, 2005.

1. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

Throughout the various "Tiger sucks" or "Tiger isn't ready posts" I've seen many people complain about Mail 2.0 but personally I'm actually feeling the Mail 2.0 love!

I like the cleaner interface and don't think the icons look out of place at all and in fact I wish Apple would have used the style in Mail 2.0 more consistently throughout Tiger, I like the smooth gradient look of the background and the curves of the icons. Is that a style that was around before Panther (when I switched) or is it something new?

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I don't mind it either. The interface is nothing mind blowing, but its a bit cleaner than Mail 1.0.

3. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

4. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I didnt like the new look at first, but its slowly growing on me. I will say it is nice to have all you folders on the left, not on some slide option. The cleaner style up top is nice as well. I like the Mail 2.0 better everyday. Haven't noticed any drastic changes other the looks though

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I like the search interface slightly better, and I think the junk mail filtering engine seems to have improved slightly, but other than that, yeah, to me, it's pretty close to being the same as Mail 1.x.

6. Brigrat macrumors member

I love it. no complaints at all.

Perfectly functional, with little flash...just like me!

7. gamestriker macrumors regular

Same here lol :)

8. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

I'm not exactly impressed with the new icons but they're easily changed, so no biggie in my eyes. My only dislike really is that they've gotten ridden of the status bar. I like getting feedback.

9. witness macrumors 6502

I've installed Tiger about 3 times now and every time it has been a real headache to get Mail 2 working. There seem to be some big bugs in the IMAP configuration, which mean that after updating the IMAP folder location I have to delete some of the configuration files to get it working.

But once it's configured it seems to run quite smoothly and I'm very happy with it. It's great to be able to use spotlight with IMAP email accounts.

10. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I definitely like the sidebar replacement for the drawer, which, quite honestly, didn't work very well in Mail. The buttons are OK. However, the biggest improvement for me in Mail 2 vs. Mail 1 is speed of message retrieval - it seems to grab the new messages 2-3 times faster than before.

11. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

i dunno... feels "quirky" to me... i never know if its checking my mail like it used to tell me in panther... interesting, when hit command + i it takes a screen pic of your current screen, opens mail, and sticks that pic in a new message... hrm... neto lol :eek:

EDIT: works when you have safari open, it takes a pic of the webpage...

12. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....I quite like the new look, even the icons...and I have had no trouble with using it with any of my mail accounts.....oh yeah!

13. russed macrumors 68000

russed

no, i like it. the layout took a while to get used to but in general i think i like it! much more user friendly and i lile the visual monitor to show how full my imap account it.

14. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I love both the look and feel of Mail 2. The only thing I really miss is the missing status bar. If they reintroduce that I don't think I could be any happier... :)

15. Dr.Gargoyle macrumors 65816

Dr.Gargoyle

I used entourage (please dont flame me :p ) in Panther. Mail 2 made me switch from entourage. I really like the new look of Mail 2, and I don't understand what people are complaining about. It might just be a matter of adjusting to the new look.

16. thequicksilver macrumors 6502a

thequicksilver

The lack of status bar is doing my head in. If it were there, I'd live with the grotesque UI.

As it stands, I'd switch back to Panther Mail in a second if I could.

17. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I never used this "status bar" in Panther Mail (or even knew it existed, assuming it's a UI feature that can be turned on or off and is off by default - if it doesn't fit that description, then I have used it).

If it's the bar that shows how many headers have been retrieved, I used it all the time in Panther, but don't miss it's absence in Tiger Mail.

18. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Hardly a substitute for the status bar but don't forget you can bring up mail's activity viewer (command-0) to get some feedback. Status bar aside I appreciate the new Connection Doctor (window/connection doctor)., has come in handy when trying to pinpoint problems.

19. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

20. Etrain macrumors 6502

Etrain

I love it. I come from Outlook though so ANYTHING is better! :)

21. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

I like Mail's UI much better. It is faster and is well indexed...

kyle

22. Sirus The Virus macrumors 6502a

Sirus The Virus

I like the new Mail 2.0 its much more professional looking than 1.0. BTW Tiger does not suck!

23. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

I prefer the old Mail interface. I've tried to change Tiger's Mail back to my liking, but I'm still missing the status. I can't believe Apple took that out.

[​IMG]

24. 36183 Guest

window > activity viewer

25. NaMo4184 macrumors member

two thumbs up from me

I like the interface. I don't miss the status bar because all the information it presented is still presented and less obstusive. The number of messages is in the toolbar and internet connection w/checking duration is in the side bar. I think that mail 2.0 is also easier to setup and figure out what is wrong because of the internet connection utility. And I love how the new buttons are grouped together. I look at the old mail buttons and it looks like a jumbled mess now.