Am I the only one that likes the Brushed metal look?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by adamb100, Jan 19, 2006.

?

Do you like the Brushed Metal Look?

1. Yes

49 vote(s)
    52.7%
  2. No

44 vote(s)
    47.3%
  1. adamb100 macrumors regular

I like the Brushed Metal look that is seen in the Finder and elsewhere. Why doesn't anyone else like it? :)

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Because it is hideous. UI elements should not mimic real-life materials. It's tacky and in bad taste, and people who like it are tacky themselves. Granted, I'm not saying you are tacky and have bad tastes, but take it as you wish.
    Here's to the Crazy Ones [​IMG]

3. risc macrumors 68030

risc

At the moment I think Tiger looks a bit dodgy, some metal here, some grey plastic looking stuff there, some white plastic over there, and some stripey white plastic looking stuff at the back. Apple settle on 1 look! Also if we must have the grey and white plastic look (whatever they are called) can they at least look the same? The different sized corners make it look a bit weird.

BRING ON LEOPARD!

4. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

I like it. My PowerBook is made of metal, so the brushed metal GUI elements match quite nicely, I think.

I see why iBook/iMac owners would disagree though...

5. el_grapadora macrumors newbie

el_grapadora

I do like brushed metal. It has a certain elegance, and it's not as obnoxious as, say, those wood grain finish backgrounds. (I believe there are some skins for Mozilla along those lines. But what I would like more than brushed metal would just be unity across the OS. If you're going to make an app plastic, make them ALL plastic, fer Steve's sake*.

Yes, I do have Metallifizer, but it doesn't get to all apps. And Safari looks downright ugly when it's plastic-ized.

*I'm hoping this saying will catch on. ;)

edit: I left the comp in the middle of posting, and didn't realize someone had made my point already. C'est la vie.

6. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

I don't mind the brushed metal but much prefer the "unified" look.

7. musicalmcs8706 macrumors regular

You aren't the only one

I like the brushed metal look, but I, like many others it seems, would like a more consistent look.

8. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

When iTunes went "plastic," I thought that I hated the new look. I really wanted my brushed metal back. So much so that I considered reverting to an old version of iTunes. But I'm lazy so I kept it, and I have to say that it has really grown on me! Now the brushed metal looks slightly silly in comparison.

Ha, I'll comply.

9. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

I don't mind the brushed metal look.

I just hate inconsistancy....

Back in the system 7 - 8 - 9 days, it would drive me up the wall. Mac OS 8 had this new look (Platinum), but many apps like Quark and Photoshop still had those old-looking black & white menus.
    Kaleidescope came to the rescue!! :cool:

Now we have pretty much alot of inconsistancy:
    Brushed metal (Safari, Finder winows), Aqua blue (many apps like Office), plastic (Tiger mail) and "new" plastic (iTunes 6, iPhoto '06 etc.)

I assume Leopard will get the "new" plastic look, which I find nice :)

10. maya macrumors 68040

maya

I like the "pro" application UI, I am not a fan of BM any more, used to like it when it was released however it's getting old.

Use the PRO UI more in 10.5 Apple. :)

11. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

I prefer the "plastic" look that iTunes now has over brushed metal... and like others have stated, I would love it if Apple would be more consistent with the user interface.

In pre-OS X days, Apple was very adamant about have a consistent user interface across apps - but now it seems Apple is one of the worst offenders of breaking it's own guidelines. :(

12. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I don't like the brushed metal look, but it doesn't bother me much... ;)

Prefer the looks of Firefox, Mail, and Cyberduck and even the new dark plastic of iTunes and the pinstripes in TextWrangler... :)

13. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I know I'm way in the minority on this point, but I not only like brushed metal, I like having apps with different skins. Safari is brushed, Mail is white, etc. It helps me differentiate quickly between programs, especially since I usually have 6-10 open at once. Just one more way to make my life easier.

jW

14. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

Now that I look at it again, I'd prefer a grey "plastic" interface that is halfway between the dark plastic of iTunes and the light plastic of Firefox. :D

15. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I wholeheartedly agree... :)

Now, have you voted No! in the "Do you want a unified OS X look?"-poll? ;)

16. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I don't mind it, but it really doesn't go with the Unified look of Mail and iTunes IMO. It goes well with most other styles though. :)

17. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

jadekitty24

I like the brushed metal look. It just matches.

18. Whigga Spitta macrumors 6502

when i first switched to mac (circa june 2004), i found the brushed metal to be a welcome change from xp. now, what with all the inconsistencies, i much prefer to use Uno to unify my windows. that being said, when i use someone's machine that is not unified, i'm abhorred.

i agree with those who hope 10.5 sees a more unified look, but as long as there are hacks, i'm not going to be too concerned with it.

19. Halsey12 macrumors regular

20. geese macrumors 6502a

geese

The BM looks OK on Safari as there isnt very much of it and it contrasts nicely with the web-page contents. A good figure-ground relationship between content and browser.

But i remember when the Quicktime player first had it on OS 8.5- god it looked terrible, especially with the crappy volume control. They've improved it somewhat since then, namly by making it smaller.

Yes, Apples UI inconsistancy is a little annoying. Stick one! but not BM. if you've used Mellel you'll know how bad it can look!

Next UI look- everything transparent make it really confusing and vomit inducing, but flash. MS will copy it in 3 years time for Windows Alps (or whatever ski resort they fancy). Alot of Windows users will have epeleptic fits and MS will get a bad rep and shut down!

21. radiantm3 macrumors 65816

radiantm3

[sarcasm]

Forget woodgrain. Apple needs to make the leap to Carbon Fiber.

Imagine our apps being wrapped in this:
    [​IMG]

[/sarcasm]

22. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I have no problem with it but i'm glad its not everywhere in OSX because it would suck.

Bless

23. MacRumoron macrumors 6502

24. kewpid macrumors regular

Brushed Metal looks OK when used sparingly like in Safari or Newsfire.
    This however is just a bit much and distracting:
    [​IMG]

25. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

I used to like it on the odd app here and there, but I now think that it is getting a little tired.

I also find that it sometimes overwhelms what is actually in the window, particularly if there are large expanses of it, which for me is bad design. I prefer the new white/grey plastic look as it is subtle and doesn't interfere with the content.