Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

canwe3

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
iPhone 5 has the same width so it types EXACTLY the same as previous models. The iPhone 5 and its enormous "extra .5in" screen offers more benefits than drawbacks. And even with small female hands then I find absolutely no difficulties in "holding" a product that is both thinner and lighter than its predecessor.

It's difficult to reach the top options without repositioning your hand. Even when you reposition it's extremely unconformable to reach the top and start typing again. Average male hand here and I know there's no way a small female hand can reach the top and start typing without repositioning your hand. When the iphone was 3.5inches you could easily reach the top, type and press anywhere on the screen using your thumb without reposition. Makes it easy to use and fast to type. Every application have top options and every time I reposition it makes it unpleasant experience.

What benefits does .5inch screen have if you don't watch movies or play games? You get more space but I don't mind scrolling a little bit more for applications and web browsing.

RayHollister

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
3.5" is the perfect size?

the 4inches is awkward to hold, annoying as hell. 3.5 was the PERFECT size to hold and type. Phones are not tablets, I want it small and portable. I have no need for that extra .5inches.

What apple should have done is create two model
iphone 5 witih 3.5inches and iphone 5 with 4.5 or bigger screen. I'll bet you that if iphone 5 had two choices 3.5inch screen would be the best seller. Only on the internet ppl want bigger screen. Most people are/were happy with previous iPhone.

Screen size is the only reason I went away from androids, you can't get a superfast smart phone on android unless it's 4.5+. SO ANNOYING!!!

Battery life on iphone 4 was amazing. I'm not even using 4g and iphone5 battery life sucks ass

I've never understood the "3.5 inch screen is the perfect size" concept. Then again, I have big hands but short thumbs. So, I almost always use two hands on my phone. I used to have a Palm Centro and a Palm Pre and Pixi and I still used two hands. I have an iPhone 4S now. I would love to have a larger screen iPhone, but I know others who would like to have a smaller iPhone than even the 4S! We got a call on our show from someone who felt the iPhone 4S was too big and wanted a smaller smartphone! Honestly, after using the Pre (3.1") and the Pixi (2.63") I could never go back to a smaller screen.

joshwithachance

macrumors 68010
Dec 11, 2009
Yes, yes you are. The 3.5" screen feels SO antiquated now, and nearly everyone agrees, online and in real life.

BrokeTechLover

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2012
You're not the only one,it's just the "popular" trend is the bigger screen. Personally? I hate big screens,it's not necessary to me & cause the iPhone 5 looks so long n awkward I'll probably never ever get it. I just hate the majority of high end phones are going towards larger screens :(
If apple follows suit from now on,then I think the 4S will be my last Apple phone:/

stoneland

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2012
I do miss the 3.5" from my iPhone 4. Every now and then I take it back out of the box and hold it :p It definitely feels better in my hand and I was really tempted to get the 4S but LTE won be over. My hands are kind of small and the 3.5 screen was the sweet spot that I felt didn't compromise on anything.

I'm used to the 4" screen now but it's still not as "fluid" when I handle it. I have to shift my hand a little when reaching certain parts but 99% of the time I don't even notice it. I do think the phone looks a little weird, being all stretched out...kind of wish that if Apple wanted to go bigger they should have made the width a little bigger too.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Here another who picked 3.5" 4s over I5, but we're in the minority it seems (or the bigger-is-better ppl are louder?). It's OK to me since I like the 4s' Glass+Chrome design better and OK to live with A5. At the end I want a small phone and if it has all these extra features great NOT having a media access device which happens to have a phone.

I wish I can always operate it with one hand but I think the phone wants the finger to touch at an almost perpendicular angle and with my small hand is not always successful.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Here another who picked 3.5" 4s over I5, but we're in the minority it seems (or the bigger-is-better ppl are louder?). It's OK to me since I like the 4s' Glass+Chrome design better and OK to live with A5. At the end I want a small phone and if it has all these extra features great NOT having a media access device which happens to have a phone.

I wish I can always operate it with one hand but I think the phone wants the finger to touch at an almost perpendicular angle and with my small hand is not always successful.

I agree with what you said. I think Apple should have bumped ip5 to the larger screen territory since the 4S is still around. Once the 4S is out of production come out with the iPhone mini, ouila, another hit. The current iPhone 5 size is pretty good, I like it but it's stupid - it was the wrong direction for the future.

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
In Ives' i-phone 5 intro video he says that the dimensions were designed to be the maximum but still allow one hand use. I think he is solving for the wrong problem. you want to biggest screen while still being able to unobtrusively fit one pocket. the galaxy S III is a better form factor.

Latley I have been spending a lot of time playing with the Galaxy S III and the Note 2.

Even though I like the larger screen of the Note 2, the S III just 'feels' better in my hands.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
I can one hand my galaxy nexus with no problem and I don't have large hands. I honestly think the iphone 5's screen is too small and theres way too much wasted space above and below the screen.

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
Reading these " i hate the small screen " and " i hate the large screen " threads has really brought one issue to the forefront.

No matter what screen we prefer, we all seem to agree that :apple: is making a mistake by not giving consumers a CHOICE !!!!!

FTR: I prefer a larger screen and the iPhone 4 may be my last iPhone until they come out with one I like. ( larger screen )

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
the 4inches is awkward to hold, annoying as hell. 3.5 was the PERFECT size to hold and type. Phones are not tablets, I want it small and portable. I have no need for that extra .5inches.

What apple should have done is create two model
iphone 5 witih 3.5inches and iphone 5 with 4.5 or bigger screen. I'll bet you that if iphone 5 had two choices 3.5inch screen would be the best seller. Only on the internet ppl want bigger screen. Most people are/were happy with previous iPhone.

Screen size is the only reason I went away from androids, you can't get a superfast smart phone on android unless it's 4.5+. SO ANNOYING!!!

Battery life on iphone 4 was amazing. I'm not even using 4g and iphone5 battery life sucks ass
I was one of those people that laughed when the announcement of iphone 5 came out. WHAT? just make it taller? that looks stupid! Once I started using it, it totally makes sense to me now.

my mom was showing me something on her iphone 4 and i looked at the screen and it looked tiny and smashed down....i couldn't believe I even used it for so long.

These are smartphones.....they do so much more than just talk that having a big screen nowadays makes sense. Of course note 2 etc. is overkill. But looking back now, i'm glad apple made the move to 4inch screen.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
I wanted the 3.5 in a smaller form factor.

I started a thread about Android to request a phone recommendation with a screen size under 4". Seems there isn't really anything compelling. So much for the Android "choice".

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
I only see people bragging about how big their **** are :cool:

(**** = screens)

People with little hands, like little screens.

People with little hands have little feet.

And you know what they say about people with little hands and little feet! :D

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Why should we have to wish for the iPhone to be any one size?

If Apple gave us some better options that ranged between 3.5 - 4.6" (or whatever) we wouldn't need to have this discussion.

----------

Yes, yes you are. The 3.5" screen feels SO antiquated now, and nearly everyone agrees, online and in real life.

It's interesting because there was once a time--not very long ago--where asking for anything other than 3.5 was sacrilegious.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.