Am I the only one that would hate a built-in iSight?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by stoid, Oct 13, 2005.

1. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I think that the coolest thing about my iSight web-cam is it's being able to point in in any direction from it's stand. If it was built into my PowerBook, I would have to sit in one exact spot. This would work for a one-on-one business conference, but not for a family. When I video chat with my family, they can just adjust the camera side to side or whatever, and I can see the other family members, the dog, someone's new toy, whatever. If the iSight was attached to the computer, it'd be much harder.

2. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

Well you have a point.........but I DO NOT hate it...I like it but you have a valid pint and therefore apple makes the PM and the iShight ;)

3. iGary Guest

iGary

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It certainly doesn't add anything to the iMac's beauty. :(

5. mkaake macrumors 65816

I can't help but wonder if there will be tilt/pan controls in software that can physically move the isight inside of the display...

guess those sort of questions will be answered in a few days, huh?

6. iGary Guest

iGary

I think it is a pretty ugly implementation, personally - they should have made it with rounded edges or round. Since when does Apple make sqaure without rounded edges?

I also like the old vertical I/O lineup better and the remote just looks retarded magnetically clicked on the side.

*shrug*

They'll sell tons of them.

7. fayans macrumors 6502a

fayans

I wouldn't complain since it is built-in and not sold separately. Though I am going to lose some sort of flexibility.

8. Brother Michael macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

Exactly how often are you video conferencing and not in front of your computer?

9. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

As much as the updates are pretty mundane, I still think that the iMacs do offer great value for money. Although you don't have a great deal of flexibility with the built in iSight, it's just another feature that makes the iMac seem (and it is) even better value.

10. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

If pointing the camera is such a big deal, you can always go buy a "real" iSight camera just like you could before. Considering they haven't raised the iMac price point, you are essentially getting the built-in camera for free anyways. No different than buying a second hard drive or stereo speakers -- even though your computer already has them built-in.

11. oingoboingo macrumors 6502a

oingoboingo

Additionally, I'd like to suggest a square black plastic bezel where the Apple logo currently is, housing one of those multiple format flash RAM readers. That would rock so hard.

12. cube macrumors G4

A hacker/malware can enable it again. You have to cover it.

13. stoid thread starter macrumors 601

stoid

No, I supose I shouldn't use the word 'hate'. That's too strong a word. I think that it detracts from the usability of the camera, and I would rather that Apple dropped the prices by another $100. And I use a PowerBook to videochat, and so it's very much like the chat is coming to me than me going to the chat. If I was using it with a desktop machine and already had to take myself to the chat rather than chat from anywhere within range of my base station, I guess the ability to adjust the camera would be a more moot point. You've already got tilt to some extent, since the whole computer can tilt, but no easy pan motion.

Now combine the iSight idea with the old lamp iMac. You've got yourself a winner!

14. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

You can attach the iMac to a tilt and swivel arm if you like. It has this standard attachment thing, hasn't it?

15. PharmD macrumors 6502

I had a brand new iSight still in the shrinkwrap when the new iMac's were announced. I debated whether or not I should sell my current iMac and get the new one but the fixated iSight was a negative for me. I wanted to be able to move it around when showing my family our son, apartment, etc. Plus, why get this one when an intel version will come out in 6-8 months.

16. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

the all in one design is very appealing to me. having the camera in a machine that cost 100 bucks less is a plus for me. although i would put a sticker in front of it when i'm not using it ;) . right now torn i'm between getting a mid range PM and a 20" imac.
    and i want a g5 based machine. i go intel when the rev. c intel machines are out and the software is stable. for now i like my software and i don't want to buy updates ( i don't trust rosetta ).

17. Brother Michael macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

I think a small manual privacy shutter would be something of value myself.

18. hansen macrumors regular

19. dcv macrumors G3

It is a nice bonus to have the camera built-in... saves you the extra expense if you were going to buy an iSight anyway, but personally I don't like the look of the camera at the top and the first thing I thought when I saw it was 'how the hell do you adjust it?'

Sony built cameras into some of their Vaio sub-notebook lines (e.g. the TR series) a couple of years ago. The camera was located just above the display on a sort of rotating bezel thing (not sure of the correct name for this!) next to the catch, so you could at least tilt/adjust it by a few degrees.

Perhaps this is something that Apple might introduce in future notebook updates? Not sure if they have enough room around the display with the current form factor though.

20. Mac_Freak macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple integrated the camera in the consumer level hardware, while keeping to pro line with out them. I would actually prefer it that way. Power....... line owners care for performance not gimmicks like biuld in camera.

21. slu macrumors 68000

slu

I can't believe there is so much complaining about a new feature that you do not have to use. Get over it. The bulit in iSight is a great idea I think. I do not have an iSight, and I am not likely to get one as I don't know anyone else with a Mac and an iSight, so the more Macs that have it bulit in means there will be many more people that I could do a video chat with; and then it might make it worthwhile for me to get one.

For example, my Dad wants a new Mac. If he gets an iMac (which he probably will), he will automatically get the iSight so now it might be worth it for me to get one...and as more and more people have them, they become even more attactive to have and actually use.

22. iriejedi macrumors 6502a

iriejedi

that depends

It might depending on your culture! :p A Happy Marriage between user and his iMac!

Also - now Steve Jobs can log into the net and see the emotions of users on the sly and judge how he is doing - the built in camera is one of the greatest spyware marketing tools ever!

"I'm sorry Dave - I'm afraid I can't do that!"

Hello Apple iHAL2000!

23. roadapple macrumors regular

Yeah, talk about spyware :eek:

24. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Oh god no...

No, it would be rather flaccid. I am stoked that Apple has not included this, it seems so much simpler to use the cord that came with your camera...

25. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

I won't be buying an iMac for the iSight - inc. Superdrive alone is a good deal compared to the original entry level iMac (for me at least).

I'm assuming you could still plug in an external webcam (for the freedom of movement) and use that instead?