Am I the only one who actually kind of likes the old Android tablet UI?

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by ravenvii, Sep 18, 2013.

1. macrumors 604

ravenvii

I have a Nexus 7 with Android 4.3. Until now that has the only Android UI I know of (status bar on top, back/home/multitasking buttons on bottom, and so forth).

Today I used an Asus Transformer running Android 4.0 (ICS). It has the older tablet UI that I didn't see before -- only one bar on the bottom.

And I actually kind of like it.

Any 'historians' here who know why Google abandoned this UI for tablets?

2. jman240, Sep 19, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2013

macrumors 6502a

Download a 3rd party launcher and switch your nexus 7 to the classic tablet ui. Its possible. I think apex works better on the nexus 7 than nova did for me afaik. I gave my nexus to my younger brother when I got my GS4 since the screen size was so close.

http://nexus7.wonderhowto.com/how-t...blet-ui-your-nexus-7-without-rooting-0148415/

3. thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

That's the modern (Jelly Bean) tablet UI.

I'm talking about the one in Ice Cream Sandwich and Honeycomb.

Screenshot:
    [​IMG]

4. macrumors 6502

I liked the old UI too. It was perfect for a tablet layout. Never understood why they changed to a phone layout on a tablet. I think the change was from 4.2.Previous versions had the tablet layout.

5. macrumors regular

I loved the layout with Honeycomb and ICS. I hate the JB layout for anything larger than the Nexus 7 in portrait