Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bzen

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2008
Hello 10.7!!!

Well, after swearing I would not take the time to downgrade, I was finally fed up! I'm now listening to music on 10.7. (This is the first time I have ever wanted/needed to downgrade an Apple application) . . .

The only difficulty I ran into was my playlists; I have lost all of them (or, I can't figure out where they might be stored). I did downgrade an empty library and then added my media file back into the downgraded empty library. I'm suspecting that this is where something went amiss. I just didn't want to loose the library with some mishap during the downgrade, so the library is fine but the playlists are not. Loss of the playlists is somewhat a pain, but nothing compared to dealing with 11.0.1. Good chance to go back through my music!

Thanks to all of you who posted how to get back to 10.7. :)

--Immy

psg2000

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2008
UK
Awful

It is
Slow
Buggy
Counter-intuitive
Freezes
Has the look and feel of 2006 software

I moved from Windows, a few years ago, to mac and one of the first improvements I noticed was the speed and response of iTunes.

I suppose the old adage of when you on the top of your game there's only one way to go: downhill...

SprSynJn

Sep 15, 2011
Japan
You people must be using some other software I'm not using. Half the complaints here seem to be pulled out of yer arses.

netdog

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
London
Well I can echo almost all of PSG's complaints. With a large library, this software really is annoyingly slow on a 2010 Mini being used as a server and that shouldn't be the case.

gwelmarten

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2011
England!
iTunes 11 may be easier to see what to click on and how to use, but actually using it is just incredibly slower than in previous iterations.

SprSynJn

Sep 15, 2011
Japan
So we can safely say that on the other half of the complaints you agree?

The other half I've read I cannot comment on because I don't use them. For me it's been nothing but an improvement. I'm mainly a casual Mac user though who only uses it for music and apps on iOS devices.

jesseluke

macrumors newbie
iTunes 11 is THE WORST !!!

I have now either called or written Apple customer support about things I use to be able to do with iTunes - there are now 8 - count them EIGHT things that they said I can not do any more.

WTF?!?!?!?!

I have purchased $1,000's of $$$ worth of music, videos, and content from Apple, yet I can not enjoy them the way I want.

THIS SUCKS !!!!!

I am a bartender and professional musician - i use iTunes all the time.

I AM PISSED BEYOND EXPLANATION!!!!!

globalist

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2009
I have now either called or written Apple customer support about things I use to be able to do with iTunes - there are now 8 - count them EIGHT things that they said I can not do any more.

WTF?!?!?!?!

I have purchased $1,000's of $$$ worth of music, videos, and content from Apple, yet I can not enjoy them the way I want.

THIS SUCKS !!!!!

I am a bartender and professional musician - i use iTunes all the time.

I AM PISSED BEYOND EXPLANATION!!!!!

Yeah but they like, completely re-designed it, dude! Aren't you grateful? :D

jesseluke

macrumors newbie
Yeah but they like, completely re-designed it, dude! Aren't you grateful? :D

thanks for the laugh Globalist. I've been pulling my hair out for almost an hour trying to do yet another important feature that I used when I bartended. now - it's GONE !!!!!

time to give up on this.

These new Apple software upgrades are making it as redidiculous as a PC.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
Sounds like you might as well downgrade. Though it'd be interesting to hear what you can no longer do.

BretJ

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2013
These new Apple software upgrades are making it as redidiculous as a PC.

We are certainly getting there... with every new version there is no improvement, more like the opposite. I wonder where it will end up, but they do make new design for each version, isn't it great?:D

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2004
I like the clean interface. I haven't had a problem with it and I have a fairly large library.

The center part where it shows the track length seems a little wierd, and out of place graphically. A few things here and there I needed to Google, but besides that I like 11.

I always leave it in "songs" view, which is pretty much like the old version. I never used cover flow.

globalist

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2009
I always leave it in "songs" view, which is pretty much like the old version. I never used cover flow.

I take it you never used the hybrid view in the previous version? Anyway how is the "wall of songs" treating ya? :)

Trinity

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2005
Barcelona - CAT
I don't like iTunes 11 but today it has messed up my music library downloading a bunch of music from iCloud that was already in the computer. And the worst thing is that it doesn't allow me to delete the duplicates so… I have downgraded to 10

RSL

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2012
After using 11 over the holidays and getting back to my mac with 10.7 it kind of feels like going from a stripped down version to full-featured "Pro" software.

I don't think I'll ever upgrade unless iTunes DJ comes back.

DUCKofD3ATH

Suspended
Jun 6, 2005
Universe 0 Timeline
The other half I've read I cannot comment on because I don't use them. For me it's been nothing but an improvement. I'm mainly a casual Mac user though who only uses it for music and apps on iOS devices.

So you're admitting that your earlier comment was pulled from your arse. You don't know enough about iTunes to make such a sweeping assertion.

DUCKofD3ATH

Suspended
Jun 6, 2005
Universe 0 Timeline
Though it'd be interesting to hear what you can no longer do.

I haven't upgraded to 11, and here are the complaints from others that kept me from switching:

1. Can't use Cover Flow (I've got a large multimedia library and like browsing through it with CF).

2. Album art's missing in column view. Yet another aid to browsing that's gone.

3. Can't browse by column view when looking through Artists or Genres. I have more than 60,000 songs and don't want to waste time scrolling through a listing when it was much easier in 10.

4. Can't create multiple windows anymore.

And there are major problems with iTunes that DIDN'T get fixed:

1. Selecting movies and such for including on an iPod has always been a mess. I have 800 movies, but the default choice for adding to the iPod are based on how many are unwatched. I like to watch movies more than once, so why isn't "include checked" an option?

2. For podcasts, why doesn't the "Allow Auto Delete" option stick? It has to be selected continually or watched podcasts never get removed.

3. Why haven't they made it so the tags for movies and TV shows are fully editable? No Actors or Director or Short/Long descriptions fields. I have to use MetaZ to fill those in.

4. Why, after all these years!, has Apple STILL not fixed the ID3 tags so Classical music can be accommodated?

That's it for now....

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
So you're admitting that your earlier comment was pulled from your arse. You don't know enough about iTunes to make such a sweeping assertion.
So are a bunch of the complaints here. Not all, but a large percentage. Apple has also listened to the complaints, restoring Display Duplicates and the sidebar with iTunes 11.0.1, to name two obvious things.

I haven't upgraded to 11, and here are the complaints from others that kept me from switching:

1. Can't use Cover Flow (I've got a large multimedia library and like browsing through it with CF).
I hated Cover Flow. Odd they removed it, but perhaps that's the effect of Scott Forstall being gone.

2. Album art's missing in column view. Yet another aid to browsing that's gone.
Presumably they figure if you want to see Album Art you'll use the Album view. I occasionally used this in iTunes 10 and before but mostly I kept it off.

3. Can't browse by column view when looking through Artists or Genres. I have more than 60,000 songs and don't want to waste time scrolling through a listing when it was much easier in 10.
Then submit feedback to Apple requesting they add this back in.

4. Can't create multiple windows anymore.
Was this really useful? When Apple first introduced it I tried it a few times. Didn't much see the point, not with iTunes.

And there are major problems with iTunes that DIDN'T get fixed:

1. Selecting movies and such for including on an iPod has always been a mess. I have 800 movies, but the default choice for adding to the iPod are based on how many are unwatched. I like to watch movies more than once, so why isn't "include checked" an option?
It more or less is, if not overtly.

2. For podcasts, why doesn't the "Allow Auto Delete" option stick? It has to be selected continually or watched podcasts never get removed.
Works for me. No idea why it doesn't for you.

3. Why haven't they made it so the tags for movies and TV shows are fully editable? No Actors or Director or Short/Long descriptions fields. I have to use MetaZ to fill those in.
Couldn't say. Is this for imported video or what you've purchased from the iTunes Store?

4. Why, after all these years!, has Apple STILL not fixed the ID3 tags so Classical music can be accommodated?

That's it for now....
Classical music's already accommodated pretty well, what's your problem with it? I've got a large classical library and no complaints.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.