Am I the only one who thinks iTunes 7 is painfully slow?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jihad the movie, Dec 1, 2006.

1. jihad the movie macrumors regular

Alright, so here is my setup.

Dual 1.8ghz G5
    3gb Ram (6x 512)
    200gb Internal SATA HD dedicated to music.

I have 138gb of music files, organized on the music HD by iTunes.

Now I know I have a lot of music, but iTunes 4,5,6 never had a problem with the size of my library. It took about two or three bounces, iTunes would open, and my library would be there, instantly. Now, iTunes 7 opens up with a dialog saying it is loading my library and takes about 20 seconds before the iTunes window will appear. Granted, nearly all my files have album art, but I don't browse using any of the new iTunes 7 features, just plain list view. I can understand the size of my library being a problem on my 12" Powerbook, but not my G5. I only keep two or three applications open at once, so low system resources should not be an issue.

Has anybody else experienced increased loading times as I have? (Especially those with moderately equipped systems like mine) Or better yet, is there anything I can do to speed iTunes 7 up a little? This is kind of frustrating for me, as I just upgraded a few weeks ago, and I am wishing I had just kept with iTunes 6.

Thanks in advance.

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

my mini got 1.5 g core solo, with 1.25g memory, i got 13000 songs, 50gb, and my library file is 22mb. iTunes7 takes <5 sec to "load library".....

3. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

No problems with iTunes 7 on my 2GHz MacBook Pro (but my music library is much smaller than yours is). :)

4. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

iTunes 7 takes about twice as long to load on my iBook as iTunes 6 did. It's not painfully slow, but it is definitely annoying.

5. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

I haven't noticed any difference, atleast with the windows version. I have a 80gig library on a somewhat old PC and it is about the same.

With your system you could probably get away with never closing iTunes...problem solved?

Might also check Activity Monitor while iTunes is opening, see if it is a RAM thing or a processor thing, but like you said that shouldn't be an issue with your system.

6. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

Definitely slower. I now get a "loading iTunes library" message/progress bar which I never used to get.

AppleMatt

7. aLoC macrumors 6502a

It's not slow on my 24" iMac, but definitely feels like it is bigger and heavier than it needs to be to just play songs. Using iTunes feels like using a sledgehammer to crack an egg. It's a really icky feeling.

8. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

If you haven't restarted in a while you could try that. Is there any reason that you just can't leave the application open?

9. Meatball macrumors regular

O/S: XP *Runs*
    iTunes Version: 7.2
    Library: 2762
    Coverflow with all 600X600 iTunes album art

PC:
    AMD 3800+
    2GB Ram
    nVidia 7900GT

Performance is fine with me :confused:

10. iJawn108 macrumors 65816

iJawn108

it wont do audio play back on my pc, but my pc is also heading on 7 years old now. :rolleyes:

11. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

12. jihad the movie thread starter macrumors regular

I could keep it on, but I usually share my iTunes over the network at my apartment, so over time, I have to open/close iTunes so my friends can log on. I generally restart my computer every 1-2 weeks, just to keep things tidy. Actually, the first time iTunes opens is the slowest, the second or third time it opens it usually takes about 10-15 seconds.

Hmmm.

13. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Well... I have iTunes on -
    Dell Precision 690's Xeon quad 3Ghz 8Gb & 2Gb (XP)
    Dell Precision 490 Xeon quad 3Ghz 4Gb (XP)
    Dell XPS 700 C2D Extreme dual 2.93Ghz 2Gb (XP)
    Dell XPS M1710 C2DG dual 2.33Ghz 2Gb (XP)
    Dell Latitude D520 CD dual 1.83Ghz 2Gb (XP)
    Dell Latitude D620 C2D dual 2.16Ghz 2Gb (XP)
    Sony SZ2VP CD dual 2.16Ghz 2Gb (XP)
    Mac Pro Xeon quad 3Ghz 4Gb (OS X)
    Macbook Pro CD dual 2.16Ghz 2Gb (OS X).

(I ought to say that not all of these are at home!)

~20,000 tracks.

Fine for me. But then, I guess it would be :p

However I can confirm it's definitely taken on far more of a resourcehoggishness than iTunes 6.

14. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

My library is 5210 songs, 19.24GB running 7.2 on XP. It is noticeably slower and sometimes i've noticed that iTunes "Loses" my library and i must select it from my menu (just clicking the library.xml file does the trick) but it isn't extremely long time. Though due to the size difference between your and my libraries i would see a long wait time as realistic, but personally have never encountered it.

15. lexus macrumors 68000

lexus

16. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Dang, that is a lot of computing power Sesshi! :eek: :D :)