Am I the only one who thinks .Mac SUCKS?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MacVault, Jan 17, 2007.

1. MacVault macrumors 65816

Does anyone else share my feeling that .Mac totally SUCKS? Why does Apple neglect it so much? What was it really meant to be or do? Does Steve Jobs realize how much .Mac sucks? Do you think Apple will do something about it some day? If Apple meant for .Mac to take on Microsoft's .Net someone better tell Apple .Mac and .Net are two totally different things.

2. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I tend to agree. I don't even really get what it is - it just doesn't seem particularly useful at all. They should either do something great with it or just forget about it.

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

4. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

tyr2

Heh cool. I've been wondering for a while how easy it would be to build an OSS .Mac replacement. iDisk is just webdav at the end of the day. And the publishing stuff is just a public front end to that really.

5. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

.mac is aimed to be simple, apple have never said you couldnt get many of its services for free elsewhere, its aimed at new/average users, prob not the sort of people posting in here, but people who dont wanna spend hours finding and setting up lots of different services that may or maynot be compatable, its simple and easy to use with good integration, and good for fmailies to keep in touch, plus you get access to tutorials for noobs to learn to uise a mac and other freebees.

6. funaifdd macrumors newbie

.NET is an applications development framework, like JDK for Java.

How is it in any way comparable to .Mac?

7. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

if you have more than one computer it's really nice to have "hands-free" syncing of all your email, contacts, calendars and bookmarks. the iDisk storage is cool too but you can't do a whole lot with 1GB. the price is a bit steep for the current features. if they beefed it up a bit it would be more worth it. i've been using it since years ago when it was called "iTools" and was promised to be "free for life" on stage by Steve Jobs himself. :rolleyes: of course you could get all these things free on the web from various places but the simplicity and hands-free functionality is great.

8. wozzlewoozle macrumors regular

I like the idea of .mac and the features. However, the price is currently a little high for the small amount of space provided. For half of current price it could be enticing to many more people....

9. MacVault thread starter macrumors 65816

Exactly! That's basically what I said too. But back when .Mac was released Steve sortof pitched it like, "Microsoft has .Net, now Apple has .Mac".

10. aristobrat macrumors G4

Well, it let my partners mom (who has zero computer experience) get pictures up on the web with less than 5 minutes of coaching.

http://web.mac.com/debbie.rico

There's no way in heck she'd be able to research and setup her own hosting account, design a webpage, save it to her disk, and ftp it up to her hosting account by herself.

Isn't Microsoft's .Net an "overall name" for a bunch of different programming frameworks and technologies? There's no "service" from Microsoft called .Net that you can logon to and do anything with, right?

11. aLoC macrumors 6502a

It definitely has a different feel to most of Apple's products. It is slow running and it takes them ages to release enhancements. I suspect it is not developed in house, but rather by some 3rd party contractor.

12. aristobrat macrumors G4

I wonder if they have any .Mac enhancements in store for the Leopard release?

13. ecksmen macrumors member

.NET passport is where poeple are getting confused, basically if you signed into msn messenger, when you go to sites like ebay it would automatically log you in. I beleive it was dropped by places like ebay and then Microsoft just forgot about it.

14. aristobrat macrumors G4

Ohohohohoh, that thing. Isn't it called "Windows Live login" nowadays? :D

15. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Yes, they do (one being the ability to sync dashboards between computers).

16. hikeNM macrumors 6502a

I agree. Every time this type of thread comes around(which does about every month, or so it seems), I always point the above out to people, and ask the detractors to give me alteratives and prices that will do all the above. Trust me, I'd love to not spend $69 a year on Amazon to get the same results that .mac gives me.

So here it is again. Somebody tell me a service that will sync email, contacts, bookmarks, calendars, and make my iWeb publishing one touch, from any of my three computers. I'll even take all these things things as seperate services, as long as the total of seperate services isn't more than $69 of course!

Come on people give me some options to these services if .mac sucks so much.

Oh, and don't give me any of this crap about, "why would you pay so much just for syncing!" Alot of people may not pay $69 a year for all of the above, but I will. With hundreds of bookmarks, contacts, emails, and publishing from multiple computers constantly, its definitely worth it.

Of course, I'd gladly pay less if some of the ".mac sucks" people have the spine to pony up and give some constructive advice.

Rant over(but, seriously anybody got an alternative?)

17. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

I remember when .Mac was iTools when I had my first iMac. It was brilliant, had a nifty little e-mail address with the @mac.com, free online storage so I could access files in school and at home - it was brilliant.

Then they have a name changed and a hike-up from free to (whatever it is..) the £80 mark.

Stoopid people.