Am I the only one who wants to rent movies?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Stacc9, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Stacc9 macrumors newbie

I was disappointed today with Apple's movie announcement for only one reason, I want to rent movies, not buy them. Unlike songs which I listen to over and over I only want to see a movie once, maybe twice. That doesn't justify paying either the cost of a dvd or now a download from apple.

Does anyone else share this viewpoint and is disappointed as well?

2. amin macrumors 6502a

amin

3. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

If they offered rentals I would use it almost weekly. Instead i will be buying the occasional movie, but not nearly as often.

4. VanNess macrumors 6502a

VanNess

"Almost" DVD quality = game show buzzer, no matter what. Not interested, certainly not a these prices, and even if there were .99 cents each and thus disposible, not likely.

When I go to the theater, I watch a movie once, that's it. When I go to the video store, I rent movies, that's it. I rarely purchase a movie and there is nothing going on here to even remotely change that.

in Apple v. The Local Video Store, the Local Video Store wins in a heartbeat.

5. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

ImNoSuperMan

Rental or not I m completely dissatisfied with the current Movie offering. 75 titles(I know they`ll add more every day,but still), Just one movie house:eek:.

OK. OK. These numbers have the potential to improve pretty rapidly. But WTF is 640x480:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: . No widescreen content:confused: :confused: . I mean TV shows in SD was alright but Movies???

This definitely is a half hearted attempt from Apple IMHO. Instead of making it BIG they just added movies like they`d some new TV shows.

I guess we`ll see Apple doing more with movies next year. Hell I was guessing they might even provide 720p for select titles today and they couldn`t even get the 480p right.

But now come to the real facts. I live in India and there`s not even iTunes Music store available here. Forget bout Movies n TV shows. So it hardly matters to me really. But I`d definitely expect way more than this from Apple.

6. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Ya, Apple had an oppertunity to not only become a major playor in an exisiting industry (movie sales/rentals), but to really kick start a new one (movie downloads - I know there other players, but it's early in the game and no one is offering a killer service yet), as well as take an early lead in an emerging market (HD content)... but they failed.

They sell ONLY widescreen computers, but offer NO widescreen content... who's idea is this?

Anyways, rentals I can see where they couldn't compete: bandwidth costs money, and a rental would have to be pretty low priced... a $3 or 4 rental would be chewed up with bandwidth and server costs pretty quick.

Now, my theory is that the iTV will have a built in drive for buffering/storing a movie or couple shows (flash even?) and Apple could offer a subscription rental service with a BT based system in the box... that would cut bandwidth prices and server costs enough that it might work. They could do some limited HD at that point as well, which could be in time to get them into the game against HDDVD and BR as a dominant format. (Although the pics of the iTV look like there's not much room for HDD or optical drive and I would want it to be a DVD player as well :( )...

7. ZoomZoomZoom macrumors 6502a

ZoomZoomZoom

I would love to rent movies, and maybe have a buy option. But really, I'm happy just renting. I'm not the type that watches a movie, then watches it 20 times again over the next year. Only a couple movies are like that for me, but those would be the few that I buy.

8. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Count me in as another that wants to rent. I very rarely watch a movie more than once. I don't see myself ever buying movies from iTMS, but if there were rentals I would probably rent a movie at least once a week. Assuming a more extensive catalog in the future, I would probably also completely stop going to Blockbuster too.

9. mooncaine macrumors regular

I like the Netflix style of movie renting, and I sometimes keep a movie a long time if I'm really enjoying it or if the DVD has cool features and extra material ... but once I'm done with it, I want to send it back and get something new. Not much into buying DVDs.

10. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

ImNoSuperMan

I dont know what it actually mans but they claim all the movies to be wide screesin the iTMS:confused: :confused: