Am I the only one who washes their hands after using the Bathroom??

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by todd2000, Aug 15, 2006.

?

Do you wash your hands after using the Bathroom?

1. Yes

73.1%
  2. No

12.0%
  3. Just Rinse (No Soap)

15.0%
  1. todd2000 macrumors 68000

What is with this. I notice that the majority of the time when im in a public restroom everyone just leaves after the've done their business, and doesn't wash their hands. Now im not OC or anything, but I think it's just kinda disgusting. Then theres the poeple who just rinse them off, which is better then nothing, but I like soap. I don't wash my hands every 2 min, but I do try to wash them if I touch anything dirty, and especially after using the BR. Am I the only one who does? Does eveyone here wash their hands?

2. iHotu macrumors regular

I wash, then try like hell not to touch the door handle when leaving.

I find most people at least rinse, unless they are drunk, then who cares.

3. opik macrumors member

i always wash my hands and then even use a paper towel to use the door handle..many ppl are just disgusting

many times i even caught the store employees not washing their hands :eek: eeew!

4. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I use a hybrid rule.

If I am in my condo, I don't necessarily wash my hands.

If I am anywhere else, I do.

5. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

6. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah I use my shirt to open the door, so I don't have to touch the handle :)

7. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Home and I just a rinse.

Anywhere else and I scrub like nobody's bidness.

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Haha yea, cuz my germs aren't gonna hurt me! And vouching for my germs....they wont bother you either lol

Have any of you heard seinfeld's take on the spring loaded faucets at airports? It's so funny. Just thought I'd bring it up

9. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i'm not much of a fan of public restrooms so ya... but at home... i just rinse :eek:

10. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

LOL Great CD :)

11. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Home- rinse.
    Elsewhere- soap...

Tips for minimizing the after-washing-contamination?

If paper towels come out of a dispenser that requires you to touch some sort of lever, do so before you start to wash. Wash, towel dry, then use that towel to hold open the door.

There's almost always a trash bin by the door you can toss the used paper towel into. :)

12. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Very good advise.

Also, if you are in a populated bathroom (i.e. if you dispense the paper towels prior to washing someone else will take them) you can usually use the side of your arm to pull the lever. Having a dirty arm isn't nearly as bad as having a dirty hand.

13. iShane macrumors 6502a

Ahh. I always always always wash my hands. I accidently voted no because i thought the question was "Am I the only one who washes thier hands after using the bathroom" and that would be a no because I do. Oh well.

14. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

My hands don't touch "down there" and if they do, it's not necessarily any more dangerous than a public door knob.

Of course, if you're a cook or service person, than yeah, it be mandatory to wash after using the washroom.

15. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Mm hmm. *vigorous nodding* We could be hand-washing buddies! Haha, what else works is if you use the arm-part of a jacket or something to open the door.

Plus, I try to always have a hand sanitizer bottle handy in case a bathroom doesn't have soap or whatever. :eek:

16. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I always wash my hands, and I thought everyone else did? Whoever doesn't is really gross. Someone of you seriously only rinse after you poop? Ew.

17. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I do that also.

Another trick for opening the door is if it opens out, use your back (this will seem painfully obvious to some, but others still use their hands when they don't have to).

...but here's my favorite: Let someone else do it! :D

Yes, another must! :)

18. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

I wash with soap. I have a thing about my hands... if I touch anything within 10 square feet of a toilet, I have to wash them.

I wash with soap and then lotion my hands.. otherwise they dry out. No one will hire a hand model with dry skin. :)

19. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

;) I'll one up you... I use my feet! I'll slowly ease the door open in case someone else is standing outside. :p

20. Tanglewood macrumors 6502a

Tanglewood

Same here

21. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

I always wash - and I use a paper towel to open the door and turn off the faucet, as well.

22. ToddW macrumors 6502a

i wash sometimes before and always after, regardless of where I am.

23. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

OK, you win. (That's a great idea BTW) ...Only I'll probably kick the door open; I don't care about other people. :eek: :D

I absolutely love the bathroom at my airport. Everything is automatic; the toilets, the faucets, and even the soap and paper towel dispensers. Plus, like most large restrooms there isn't a door, just a long, winding entrance so people outside can't see in. After washing my hands at that place I feel ready to perform surgery. :D

24. emw macrumors G4

emw

I just wait until somebody else opens the door so I don't have to risk contamination. I just have to make sure I'm not the last one in the bathroom.

Oh, and I wash with soap at home as well, especially to set a good example for the kids.

25. dbhays macrumors regular

dbhays

Always wash with soap. I do the door things too - jacket, paper towel, foot, and back - depending on the circumstances. What I hate are the restrooms that have no papertowels on only an air dryer that you have to pull the lever to get started. Sometimes even the elbow won't do it. In those cases, I just leave with wet hands and dry them off on my pants or find a napkin somewhere.