Am I the only one...

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by ohcrap, Aug 13, 2005.

1. ohcrap macrumors 6502a

...who is EXTREMELY put off by the thought of Mac OS ever being available in a PC-compatible version?

I am new to the world of Mac, but I hate the thought of the Mac and PC world integrating, even to the point where it bugs me that Apple is planning to produce Macs with Intel processors. One of the most attractive things about Macintosh, to me, is that they make the computers, they make the OS, and as far as I know (maybe I'm wrong about this last one) don't they also manufacture PowerPC processors? Maybe they don't, I'm not positive so someone let me know, but I like that they have that secluded feeling, it makes them unique. You all know what I'm saying.

2. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Apple gets thrie G5 processors from IBM and their G4 Processors from Motorrola.

3. iGary Guest

iGary

The thought of it makes me throw up in my mouth a little bit.

You should have seen me after the Intel announcement.

4. ohcrap thread starter macrumors 6502a

Good to know! :D

I feel your pain.

BTW, I'm Gary, too. :p

5. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

The Intel switch is a good thing for Apple. We've been over and over this. It will give mac users better products. Apple will still make the OS and the Computers, only the processor will be different. Apple will still be Apple.

You would've thought the world was ending after the way people reacted to the announcement on these boards. It was pandemonium.

I kept my cool :cool: ;)

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I'm perfectly fine with them using whatever processor, even Intel, although I would rather they had chosen AMD processors instead.

However, I would rather that they still run on Apple-controlled hardware. Whether than means clone makers or Apple being the only one, either is fine. I just don't want someone with XYZ brand of junk complaining that it doesn't run right for the same reason that's he's complaining now about Windows. When you use junk parts, you should expect poor/unpredictable performance or limited durability.

7. iGary Guest

iGary

Damn, you not only drank the Kool Aid™, you jumped right into the Reality Distortion Field™, too. :p

8. ohcrap thread starter macrumors 6502a

You've been over and over this, I'm new. :D

I'd be much happier with AMD in my Mac than Intel, definitely.

9. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

By we I meant the people here at macrumors. But no worries, dude. I didn't mean that in a negative way.

Wait until you see the processors in Intel's pipeline. They have to be awesome.

10. ohcrap thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wasn't taken that way at all. :)

I just mean that this is the first I've really gotten to talk about it, most users at the PC forums are like huh? :rolleyes:

11. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Considering what I've seen of Intel's first born mistakes, I hope that Apple doesn't get the first few thousand.

12. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

macintosh will never be windows. that intel intergration doesn't change the OS (thank goodness) - i think they did this to aid in the development of the G5 powerbook. [wink wink]
    i am not overly worried about this little apple change-over, at first i was pissed but i see it now as a relatively smart move.
    hey at least apple gives credit where it is due instead of stealing the technology and making it crappy and calling it their own ;)

13. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Ah, but you're not iGary -- he's one of a kind (and don't we know it here! ;) )

(Gently now) It might be a good idea to get friendly with the Search button on the site, and to cruise the forums for some of the more heavily populated threads -- you'll get gently mocked by other members by opening new threads on previously discussed-to-death topics.

:)

By the way: Welcome to MacRumors ! We are by turns informational, irrelevant, compassionate, sarcastic, serious, occasionally side-splitting funny, political and passionate about our pet subjects.

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com

14. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...like has been said already...the sky is not falling. Apple will still control the hardware that OS X will run on - at least *officially.* People keep confusing/comparing the "developer boxes" that Apple leased out with what might be a final shipping product...it is most likely that the two will not have that much in common. I believe that Apple *will* limit the hardware that the OS X Intel software will run on and while there may be hackers out there to defeat the limits it will be made abundantly clear that it is *not* Apple's responsibility to support these "pirates" (as it were).

I would hope that by now people here would have realized that S Jobs is not stupid...he (and his team) knows where the money comes from, he knows the roadmaps...it is not a decision they made in 5 minutes over latte's...there is a plan folks.....oh yeah!

15. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

He talked about it as soon as he returned to Apple, even before there was a Mac OS X.

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

We'll still get Mac OSX on these Intel Macs, so no worries. I also think this was a smart move by Apple in certain ways. I mean, the laptop market is bigger than the desktop market and will outsell desktops if they don't already.

However, Mac OSX will somehow be put on HPs and Gateway computers, and although I realize that this has already been done, we don't know what Apple has up it's sleeves in terms of security and protecting Mac OSX. However, I think that someone will crack it quickly and we'll be seeing a lot of PCs with Mac OSX on it next summer, no matter what Apple does to try to protect it's OS.

17. The_Man macrumors 6502

The_Man

The reason I dont like the switch to intel, is because I think that OS X is going to be out for PC faster than we think. After that point, there will be no reason to stay with Mac hardware besides aesthetics. There are other companies that wont make us wait for updates and torture us like apple does.
    I think OS X is going to scream on intel processors, and once Pc's get Os X, i think apple will have trouble keeping up there hardware line.

18. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Of course there's the fact that Apple design their own hardware, thus making it perform more seamlessly together with the OS since they know exactly how the beast works. :)

19. ajampam macrumors regular

ajampam

I wnet into compusa for buying some heat dissipation stuff for my PB, chanced upon some of the "screaming fast PC laptops".....darn, before I could say anything my fiancee' was like, gosh...look at those monstroisties!!!! In aesthetics, none can aspire to be near macs....but thencan we always seperate hardware from aesthetics? Is not the thinner, better performing, heat issues taken care of hardware which make it also look aesthetic? My older vaio used to feel like an oven after a while of use...my mac gets hot too.....but AFTER using it for a really long time and for heavy computational stuff....

As far as the prcessor deal goes, I dont care much as long as we get mac os....and hey, we waited for a PB update for how long? If Steve Jobs thinks Intel will allow us to get newer stuff faster, then why not.....

20. MacTruck macrumors 65816

MacTruck

Alls I need to know is one thing... WHERE THEY ARE!

oh and if I can use a PC video card in them dang intelimacs.

Yeah, I'm calling them INTELIMACS.

21. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

People relax.. I was ticked at first too. IBM make PPC, and they put them in pc's, intel make pentiums, and they put them in pc's... Nothing muh is really changing.
    Watch WWDC... Intel can go faster, and run a bit cooler than PPC, though the quality is debatable...

I think I'll wait for REV B intel comps at least :)

22. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Yes, it works, but remember. These dev kits are 10.4.1 only at the moment. As soon as you get an update, they'll probably stop working, due to Apple no doubt improving binaries for a number of things, and these things will need to be patched and replaced (again). Sure, people'll just do it again, but keeping up to date with X on a standard PC is gonna be a tough job

23. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

And if you aren't convinced yet, stay tuned, Steve will have you believing it whether it's true or not! :p

24. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Sounds too much like Microsoft's Intellimouse.

25. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Yes, it was something to see at the time ... but it did not rise to the level of outrage that many would have experienced had some prestigious university bestowed upon President Bush an honorary doctorate in linguistics. Some things are clearly over the top and cannot be tolerated. :)

Chaos is usually ready to move in when reasoned thought takes an unscheduled vacation. This may all work out reasonably well in the end. As a multi-billion dollar company, I do not see Apple just vanishing into the ether due to a change in chip manufacturing.