Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wellander

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
Huntington Beach Ca
Hi,
Am I the only one that does not want apple to get rid of the PPC chip?
Am I the only one that is upset about the intel move?
Yes I really want to the PPC chip to be in macs for years to come.
If anyone can comment that will be great.
Thanks.

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Jan 24, 2006
Hmm... they're moving whether you like it or not. In another 2 years, you won't even be able to tell the difference outside of the speed increase + Windows capability, so just shhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
It's over with...everyone has gotten over it and accepted it so its over.....:)

If you want a PPC mac then just get a G5/PB/ibook and you are good to go...they will live on for years to come.

Bless

bbrosemer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2006
IBM simply didnt care about producing PPC chips, Intel is clearly happy to have Apple as a customer, IBM was all about producing gaming and Server chips becasue that is where they figured they would do best so until IBM started caring that they were supposed to be turning out chips for apple, which they never did. So what did apple do bitch slap IBM and basically saying after trashing Intel for all these years were dumping these power hungry chips and switching to something that could allow us to become a major factor in computer sales. Granted the PPC chip did finally reach 3. GHz the new Xeon are going to be blazing and the real question is will you be able to stick them in a mac pro, and if you can... wow...

MACDRIVE

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
Clovis, California
I'm with you Wellander. :) I have a PB G4 with the PPC chip, and I'm glad I got it. The new laptops should probably have the name Fisher-Price instead of MacBook. :)

Jiddick ExRex

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2006
Roskilde, DK
MACDRIVE said:
I'm with you Wellander. :) I have a PB G4 with the PPC chip, and I'm glad I got it. The new laptops should probably have the name Fisher-Price instead of MacBook. :)

Fisher-Price because of:

Looks?
Performance?
What?

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Jiddick ExRex said:
Yes nothing basically works but that's why it's called a 'transition'.
I know you disagree with the OP, but can you elaborate on "nothing basically works".

I've had such a good experience with my Core Duo iMac that I do 95% of my software dev work using Mac OS X and do the last 5% in a Linux VM in Parallels. I bought a MacBook for my wife so I can get rid of the last vestiges of Windows from my house (ok, I do run XP in a VM, but only for Civ II)

Almost everything I've tried works, except for flipformac. And I couldn't get Hamachi working, but didn't work too much on it since I didn't need it in the end.

celebrian23

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2006
Under the sun
Well the imac has avoided many of the problems associated with the laptop line. Rev. A's are always risky, and even with PPC the rev. A powerbooks had some issues. It's not as if PPC computers are obsolete- you can either accept the change or don't. It's happening and that's all there is to it.

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Jan 24, 2006
Aye mateys. The Intel switch is a good one, and will only get better with time.

However, my powerbook is going to be my friend for years to come.

Rspaight

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2006
Depends on the reason. If it's because you've got some specific software that will never be supported on Intel Macs (Classic or G5-only stuff that's been abandoned by the publisher), then I understand your disappointment -- but, well, change happens.

If it's because you think there will be any real difference in using a Intel Mac and a PPC Mac once all the major software is Universal (other than the Intel being faster and supporting other x86 OSes at native or near-native speed), then I think you're worried about nothing.

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
Nobody cares what you think...it's all about Jobs. Why anyone would want to run a dead-end processor for the next several years is beyond me. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.