Am I the only person who can't rename files after 10.4.1 update?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Abstract, May 24, 2005.

1. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Since I installed 10.4.1, I haven't been able to rename any file or folder. These aren't locked files or anything, and I do have permission to read and write, but I can't seem to rename anything. Even when I create a new folder, I cannot name it. It stays as "Untitled Folder."

If I single click on the name of a named file, it usually lets me edit it. It does let me get to the name, but when I hit delete, or fn + delete, nothing happens. And if I right-click on the mouse and try to find the "rename" option, its not there.

What the heck? I may want to name or rename some files in the future. Any suggestions? Is there a .plist file or system file that I can delete and have it repair itself? Will I need to do an Archive and Install to fix this? It's rather important. :rolleyes:

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Seems very odd and you may be the only one; I can't recall reading about it anywhere else... and mine works as normal.

Have you restarted to see if it's ongoing?

3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Sounds like a permissions thing. If the above suggested simple restart doesn't do the trick: Have you repaired permissions (universal wonderdrug™) and maybe ran periodicals?

4. Abstract thread starter macrumors Penryn

Abstract

UPDATE:

I tried to restart, and after getting to the grey bootup screen with the Apple logo, a warning came up and told me that I had to restart by holding down the power button. I tried again......over 5 times!! In other words, now I can't even BOOT into Mac OSX. :eek: :eek:

I got my Tiger disk out, started the computer again, held "C" down as it was booting up and got onto the TIger disk. From there, I repaired permissions, repaired disk, tried to boot from the DVD itself, and I also tried to restart and boot up using the TechTools CD (that came with AppleCare), but even when holding down "C", I couldn't use the TechTools CD. I don't know why this is, either, since holding "C" on my keyboard is how I'm supposed to use it (it says so right on the CD itself), and it did work with the Tiger CD.

What now? I'll check this thread (whenever I can find a computer :( ).

5. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    There's a thread on the discussion forum at Apple about not being able to boot into 10.4.1

It's here

I'll summarise here in case your computer access is limited. One guy has posted what Apple support talked him through before he gave up and ended up doing an Erase & Install... - not anything wildly unexpected but worth a go...

6. Abstract thread starter macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Okay, after last night, I got up this morning, went to do a presentation, came back, and now it booted up fine.

Once.

I haven't tried rebooting, since I'm now moving important files over to the iPod ( :cool: ). However, its piss slow (slower than usual), and the 2 new songs on my computer can't be moved over to my iPod when iTunes starts up to update my iPod!!

Its not safe. Its not stable. I'm not shutting down AGAIN!

(But now I can rename files!!) :p

7. Abstract thread starter macrumors Penryn

Abstract

UPDATE: I archived and reinstalled. We'll see what happens.

The problems may have had something to do with installing iScroll 2 on my computer, which gives you the 2 finger scroll ability on any iBook or Powerbook. :rolleyes: