Am I The Only Person Who Doesn't Like The iPod?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Abstract, Jul 14, 2004.

1. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Am I the only person who would never consider buying the iPod for as long as it retains similar characteristics to current models? By that, I mean size, battery life, features, etc.

I would never buy any player where I couldn't get over 8 hours of battery life. And most people don't even get 8 hours because like many people, they skip tracks once in a while and use the menu's, meaning they only get 6 hours of battery life.

And try justifying such a purchase if you go on camping or hiking trips and the like. Poor battery life strikes again. Its also not a smart purchase for anybody who does any physical activity (jogging with an HDD player!!?), and yet people buy it anyway because its cool to have one. Its like they aim their products at lazy people who will never be away from home for over 6-8 hours.
    A combination of a lack of features that many people seem to demand (ie: anything that would integrate it with APExpress better) and poor battery life makes me wonder if the iPod is overrated and hyped up a bit too much.

On the other hand, its the best looking player and is quite easy to use, but does anyone else think that this is not enough?

2. jenniff macrumors member

What are you doing that you need longer than that? Every road trip I take, I bring my cigarette lighter adapter, my nice Belkin one that give me a pure line out from the dock connecter... no need to even worry about battery life.

Why isn't it a smart purchase? I go jogging, biking, walking with my iPod, and I don't have any problems. I dun't understand!! Why am I stupid? It works fine!

My main reason for liking the iPod is that I have my whole collection of 400+ CDs on it, in a device that comfortably fits in the palm of my hand. Competing players with similar size capacity just don't cut it for me.

Another reason is that I use it as a Firewire HD, helpful for when I need to transfer large files between my office and my brother's — cable here has a 15k upload cap, way too much waiting! Easier to put it on the iPod, and drive over to his house.

Too, the plethora of iTMS songs that I have downloaded work only on the iPod. I recognize that I could ghetto-rig it, burning them to a CD and reripping them as MP3, but I really don't feel like putting that time. That's a lot of CDs I would have to rerip, and I would have to keep up with my evergrowing collection.. an annoyance. That's not the main reason why I'd buy an iPod, but it is a definite plus.

Yea, I do admit, that is one reason why I have it. It's really freakin awesome.

3. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

You may not be the only one, but still pretty rare species..

4. Abstract thread starter macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Have you ever been on a camping trip where you're not always by your car? I'm not always near a car. I was on a train from Sydney to Melbourne the other day....an 11 hour ride. It wouldn't even have been good for THAT situation, and its not like its a weird situation that nobody would ever find themselves in. Heck, I've X-mas shopped for longer than 6 hours. It wouldn't even last me through the shopping mall.

Also, the HDD's have been known to muck up while jogging and such. Apple used to say it was "perfect for jogging", but I'm not sure if they're allowed to anymore. I know that some of you will come here to say that you jog with one, but that doesn't mean that people haven't had their HDD's replaced because their's get damaged. I guess that's why solid state flash memory mp3 players are still being made, but what I'm saying about the iPod is that its not perfect for everyone, and it seems that tech writers don't take this into account.

Also the iPods have a 7 minute anti-skip buffer, but its not continuously refreshing every 10 seconds or so like on a portable CD player. Once the 7 minutes is over.....its over.

5. Whigga Spitta macrumors 6502

There are OTHER mp3 players available, so if the iPod isn't the perfect fit, maybe something else is. For me (and others who have bought iPods not just because they are the "thing to have"), the iPod is a godsend, and it's not that more battery life wouldn't be appreciated, but in the grand scheme of things, I've never run out of battery in a situation where it could have been prevented. Plus, having 40GB of music in the palm of my hand is pretty cool, regardless if you like it or not.

6. jenniff macrumors member

I've taken it on ten hour plane flights. I have the Belkin Battery Backup — 4 double A's holds it for around 20 hours. It is bulky, but while in transit, you don't need it to be as sleek and light as normal.

Why are you listening to your iPod while camping anyway? You antisocial bum, you ;)
    (kidding, kidding).

I don't really listen to music while shopping. I mainly use mine while exercising, while in the car, walking across campus, while at work, and at home I plug it into my inMotion Speakers, which are plugged into the wall, charging the iPod.

That's wild, that you would listen to it that long in one stretch of time, shopping. Wild.

7. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Given that there are players out there that have much longer battery life. But I bought mine because it was the most versatile for all situations and it suited my needs to a T. It works with everything I need it to and does everything for me, I have it so trained that it even tells me stuff that I forgot months ago that I have to do. The operating system itself was one of the largest selling points, and yes I have tried others. I am usally in the city or at least near a power outlet so I never had much of a concern with battery life. So if it doesn't suit your needs and you can find something that works out better for you than go for it.

8. Abstract thread starter macrumors Penryn

Abstract

My music is on all the time. I can't even be in my dorm room without music being on. ;)

While I understand that the iPod probably isn't the player for me, and that's what you'll all tell me, I only started this thread to ask if anyone else thinks that the iPod is a bit overrated in its current form, not whether its spot-on perfect for myself. Surely someone else is thinking, or has thought of buying an iPod, but decided not to despite all the good things writers say about it.

People always have great things to say about here, but surely some people look at other offerings and ask themselves why the iPod is rated so much better when its lacking in so many areas? That's what I think sometimes. I read about a new player (forgot the make and model), and they said that its easy to use, "almost" as pleasant to use as an iPod, has better features and double the battery life, and yet nothing is cooler than their iPod. I wonder if its just the hype or something.

9. Whigga Spitta macrumors 6502

I see what you mean that something could be "almost" as pleasant, easy to use, etc. as the iPod. BUT, you would be hard pressed to find a device like this that isn't "almost" an iPod. Look at other portable music options, nearly each one has a layout somewhat based on the iPod, heck, the latest Creative one I've seen looks like an iPod clone. Maybe the iPod's appeal is its ability to lead a pack of imitators...

10. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Show me another music player like the iPod. With great menus, great syncing via computers, small, lightweight, etc. If you are going hiking, do you want to carry one of those huge Nomads around?

Seems to me like you are in awkward situations. Hell, if battery life is that big of a deal, buy the Belkin thing that extends the battery life, and get 4 AA rechargables. That way you never waste a battery. 20 hours is quite a good battery life time.

11. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

Me. After getting 90+ hours w/ a single AA battery in SP mode for my MD player, I just can't imagine having anything less. I live in the stone age when it comes to music equipment. My CD deck, a NAD C542 only plays red book and HDCD. I dub CD to MD 1:1 using the NAD and a MD recorder's optical line. But hey, that's just me. I wanna just pop a MD in and start enjoying my music instead of going through a crap load of options.

12. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

The only think I don't like about iPod is the battary, that could be better. So I agree with you there.

However regarding the size and features....I'm not sure what you don't like about that, I think iPod's size is reasonable and the features are very handy:

1. Plays music
    2. Doubles as a portable hard drive (very handy, at least for me)
    3. Holds and syncs info with Address Book and iCal (Contact and Calenders)
    4. Games
    5. Super easy and fast syning with iTunes

iPod has a lot of handy features that I really like and use, especially the HD feature. :)

13. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Yet your complaints are specific to your use of said player???

I use mine everyday at work, and yep I plug it in. No battery life worries here. When im in the car, guess what? DC adapter!

Lack of features? you must be on some serious crack. No need to repeat everything you can do with an iPod.

Integration with AE would be nice, but no player integrates currently - so why the complaint?

14. destroyboredom macrumors 6502

While the battery life isn't the greatest of what is on the market, it's always been fine for me. Obviously there might be those situations where your battery is going to die but these things happen, I don't find the battery life to be a good enough reason not to buy one.

Even if I was on an 11 hour flight or shopping for 6 hours, surely it probably wouldn't last me the whole time but I would get a good 5 hours out of it for sure. (maybe more)

It's also nice in my car, why spend money on a cd-changer when you can fit roughly 250 CDs on a 15GB ipod? It's also easy to store in the glove box when you park in an unsafe area (a large city, the mall) where thieves might be looking in your car to see if it's worth breaking into, where as a cd case can't be hidden as easliy.

All I'm trying to say is i think and have found for myself the good far outweigh the bad, and I think there are a few million people that agree with me. :)

15. jenniff macrumors member

Hehehe, I like that. V. nice.

Mos def, regardless of the hype, the sales do speak for something. The hype had to start from something.

I don't think the necessity of the iPod is quite understood until you've had one. Like a laptop. And a cell phone. There are cons to everything. But, like destroyboredom said, the good far outweigh the bad, and Apple banks on that.

16. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

The iPod is an amazing MP3 player. Aside from the strange button lay out, the thing is golden. The dock connector streamlines the whole package. No bulky port to thicken it up. The iPod also has the most accessories available to it for any MP3 player Ive ever seen; I dare you to find me one that has more.

All in all, compared with other players, the iPod is superior in most every category except for battery life stand alone and $/MB, but the latter is worth it anyway.

17. lord_flash macrumors regular

Yeah, but the white headphones can still be worn as obviously as possible even if no music is coming out, so the real purpose of the iPod – letting everyone else know you have one – is still easily achieved, even without any battery. Even after the battery has outlived it's useful life just outside the waranty period...

18. lord_flash macrumors regular

I forget to mention that, aside from not being able to afford one, and having grave doubts about Apple's build quality (My PowerBook is a pile of crap and the PSU blew up yesterday, not helping) the reason I won't be buying an iPod is Steve Jobbs comments about market share:

As a large crowd of people I can only assume to be total morons – or bribed by Apple to behave like it – cheer loudly, Steve struts on stage telling them that Apple have a decent chunk of the MP3 player market but, and this is the bit that pisses me off "an even larger share of the revenue". That's right, he tells the crowd that Apple are raking in more profit from them, creaming more off the top than anyone else in the market, and they cheer him for it.

"Yeay, Steve, you're ripping us off and you know it and we love you for it"?

Mental.

Also it goes against the philosophy of trying to broaden penetration once the R&D costs are paid off. Apple will continue to sell to an elite, the elite will tire of the iPod and there will be another trend then the sales will slump. Bring the prices down, however, now you've already flogged one to the entire Madison Avenue brigade - make less on each and sell more?

Nah, Steve doesnt' think like that (NeXT cube, anyone...?)

I am in a foul mood today, eh? Still, the bitterness of the tone doesn't make the point less valid.

19. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

The iPod was one of the things that I thought I'd never own. I always loved it's styling, and it's functionality, but I never really thought that I would use it enough to justify spending the money to try it out. Afterall, I am a college student, and money is tight. When I purchased a PowerBook recently, I was able to pick up a 15GB iPod for only $70. $70! I have to say that it is an amazing piece of equipment. I really hope that I can get enough use out of it to justify the money, still. But it is amazing: size/capacity/ease of use/integration/extras etc. It's a true modern marvel, and also, a true marketing marvel.

I love mine. If the pricepoint was lower, you'd have one, and you'd love yours too! ;)

20. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

To justify 70$ for an iPod!!!! :D Its a loot. If I had just waited fr my pb :rolleyes:

21. paulypants macrumors 6502a

paulypants

I've never had a problem with battery life...

22. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

I actually get a good 7-8 hours with my ipod! I'm using Shure E5 earphones as well, not the standard ipod ones.

23. webmatthijs macrumors member

um

I agree with you on the battery life, it could be much better! but then again, for me the ipod is just a thing to have and not use. well i still use it but anyway.

the features of the ipod are more then enough... i cant think of more for now.

but you will never buy an ipod??? tough life m8! ;)

24. NeoDevIL macrumors newbie

NeoDevIL

atm i have a creative Zen 20GB wich is almost dead.
    im thinking in buying a mini-ipod since, even with 40GB Ipod i couldnt fit half my mp3 collection, so might as well go for the smaller one!

But i remember that when i bought my zen, ipod was a complete rip off! for 700$ u could get a 10GB ipod, for 600$ u could get a 20GB Zen! :rolleyes:

25. jimjiminyjim macrumors 6502

Until iPod becomes a more versatile tool - and I don't mean it needs to play video - I'm not keen on it. That it's cool, I cannot deny. To see one is to droll. To buy one is an entirely different story. I have a Samsung Yepp! Player. One hour of music, have to use classic to get songs onto it, but the sound couldn't be better. When iPod becomes a portable USB and Firewire "Home," I'll begin to consider it. For now though, it's a no purchase.