Am I vulnerable to a virus now I have Parallels?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by davekaye101, Jan 31, 2007.

1. davekaye101 macrumors newbie

Dumb question probably, but I have just booted up Parallels on my Mac Book Pro and it's asking after all the virus update software. My question is...

Do I need to start worrying about viruses now and do I need to download all the protection? Can they effect my mac or only the virtual PC running within it?

Thanks!

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Yes, there is a certain chance you can get viruses onto your virtual machine, especially if you use Windows for browsing, IMing and/or mail. Get a (free) virus scanner and you should be fine. I got myself a free years trial of eTrust® EZ Antivirus from CA just to stop XP nagging me... ;)

The chances of any virus messing with the rest of your Mac is very small, it should be contained to the disk image, but you should be a bit careful with shared folders (I've seen people mentioning sharing their entire OS X home folder, and I wouldn't recommend that).

3. HugMnster macrumors member

you can get avg for free or buy the paid version. I have put on avg for a few clients that had nortons anti virus software. I had put on some adaptived software that had problems with norton stuff an avg works pretty good.

jack

4. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Yes. It is possible for a virus to wrack a lot of havoc on your Mac.

After all the contents of your Mac's hard drive(s) are visible from a shared folder link, and IIRC applications running in the virtualised PC have almost total access on the contents of the host Mac. Meaning a virus or rogue program can just be run and completely wipe the contents of your home drive.

Even better, it doesn't even need to be a virus with signatures that scanners can detect. Any application can do it.