Amazing! A New eMac Photo, LOOK NOW

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by TiMacLover, May 21, 2002.

1. TiMacLover macrumors 6502

this is interesting I found it with google searching for a wallpaper...

really gives more detail to it and what it looks like.

Attached Files:

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Damn! That is a great pic! :D Wouldn't mind one myself.

3. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

I wish I could afford one, check out apples PR site http://www.apple.com/pr/ it has a tonne of hi res pictures of current products.

Ensign

4. iGav macrumors G3

It doesn't look that bad really does it...... clean and minimal....

Well it certainly wouldn't look out of place on 2001 Space Odessey.......

This would do my bro and mum just fine........ :D

5. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

17inch....that would look kinda big
    but It maybe different in person.....

6. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

the eMac is no bigger than the original iMac because its Flat Screen (CRT)

Ensign

7. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

considering the beast weighs in at 50lb, it's going to look big (and feel it, if you try moving it around).

I can't quite understand why they have both the emac and the original imac selling. Surely the emac should be the replacement for those with low-end requirements? Unless apple are going to drop the price on the crt imac to around $500, and make it real entry-level...

8. kansaigaijin macrumors 6502

iMac price

when they sold the 5 millionth iMac, Steve said he looked forward to the day when they had sold the 10millionth one, and I think he meant the original, as he compared it to the original VW beetle. As sales slow some more I think they will cut the price again. People keep saying the iBook is the last G3 product, really?

9. iGav macrumors G3

Re: iMac price

they won't sell another 5 million CRT iMacs.... unless they update it........ model changes are allowed though, I would say that Steve meant the iMac model, including the new iMac... the same way as the Beetle changed substantially over it's life, from the split in the 50's to the Super beetles 1302 and 1303 of the 70's........ they were both completely different cars...... to the original beetle, also the Toyota Corolla is the biggest selling car of all time, and that's had some changes over the years....... but all the different model changes still count towards the final tally....

I'd like them to do moderate increases on the CRT iMac, and drop it's price like a brick, and sell them as cheap as possible, there are people that would love one......

10. kansaigaijin macrumors 6502

allan key shell

anyone notice the allan keyed nuts on the side? looks like the back case would just slide right off leaving it standing on that cool looking (ahem) stand, all innards exposed, cool. Amazing design.

11. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

Re: allan key shell

I could be wrong, but it looks to me more like you're supposed to lie the eMac flat on its' face (on the monitor), and slide the back off it that way. Either way, it's another example of good design from apple, with a fantastic-looking computer.

12. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

SO cool!

I love the eMac, it is very cool looking. I wish my school would get some or get new iMacs. I really want G4 power for movie editing. Very nice pic!

13. macfreek57 macrumors 6502

does anyone know if i (as a non-education consumer) could buy one?

14. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Sure. Find somebody who is attached to a school in some way, give them the cash and have them buy you an eMac. Most people know someone.

15. boymerang macrumors member

eekMac

It amazes me that people like this beast. In real life they're as big as you're imagining they are. this is just another example of Apple's judicious use of flattering photography (who else was surprised to see how large the base of iMac was? in all their marketing it looks like a giant monitor floating gracefull above a baseball - instead of a bloody beachball.) I genuinely think they dropped the ball with the eMac...it looks like the little door in the front should open up, and out would pop Toast or a defrosted porkchop. i think they could have done something more engaging than just a cliff-face of flat white plastic, with a 747 nose cone grafted on the back. The base is hot though...but in some ways only serves to make the unit look even more ungainly. oh well - guess that's why it was rejected as the design of the new iMac...good decision Steve.

16. theranch macrumors 6502

Re: eekMac

If you understand why they designed it the way that they did you wouldn't mind the design. It will work very well for the intended user...students in a classroom setting. Pretty low profile compared to a crappy beige PeeCee monitor sitting on a desk with all it's wires and the big box that accompanies that peecee.

17. boymerang macrumors member

eekMac

it's really not hard to imagine why they did what they did. But this isn't an improvement on the form-factor of even the CRT iMac...Just because it's an improvement on a beige PC monitor atop a box (though i'm sure you'd be hard-pressed to find a Beige anything anymore) that doesn't justify it.

i think apple could have / should have come up with something with a little more panache than this...i get the impression it's intentionally underwhelming so that it doesn't overshadow the rest of the line...perhaps that's exactly it. maybe you're not SUPPOSED to like it.

18. katchow macrumors 6502

i think its beautiful...and in line with there other products...clean, elegant, understated-sophistiction...

i think some people just have no design sense...

i'll admit its still just a matter of taste...but in this case, i think i'm right :)

katchow

19. IndyGopher macrumors 6502a

IndyGopher

But people DO like it.. as has been said 10 or so times already in this thread alone. I'm deeply sorry that you don't care for the looks of the eMac, but here's a couple things to chew on:

It's an educational unit. It's not a retail or consumer machine, so the people intended to use it are not intended to have any say in what it looks like, nor are they supposed to care. It looks like a very plain, very sterile piece of equipment. No one can really complain that it's too *anything*.

No one product, from any company, ever, made everyone happy. I thought the original iMac was heinously ugly. Still do. Everytime someone brings in a Bondi iMac to be worked on I wonder what Apple was thinking. Same with the original iBooks. Aside from being a pain to work on (or in, to be more accurate) they just look really dumb to me.. but that doesn't mean they didn't sell a ton of them.. nor does it mean that they shouldn't have made them.. To each his/her own. The point here is that just because YOU don't find a machine (or person, or car, or whatever) appealing, doesn't mean that thousands or millions of others won't think you're wrong.

20. boymerang macrumors member

Naturally there's going to be people out there that like it (look at the popularity of the K-Car millions of years ago) and there are going to be people that don't like it (look at the derision towards the K-Car).

The point isn't that it comes down to a simple matter of taste, design and aesthetics CAN be debated from more than just an aribitrary position. If popularity with the public or with laymen was any indication of good design...then, well, Laz-y-boy would probably have a booth set-up at the Milan Furniture Fair every year. which, to the best of my knowledge, they don't have. sarcasm aside, you've got a pretty bleak view of what should be criticised aesthetically - "so the people intended to use it are not intended to have any say in what it looks like, nor are they supposed to care." that's precisely where you're wrong. everything should be well-designed, and educational settings are no different. but i digress.

Apple's doesn't, often, put out ugly, ungainly objects - they leave that up to compaq. so when Apple DOES put out something that looks - incomplete - it's a bit of a shock. yes it looks sterile. yes it looks 'utilitarian', but its undeserving of being lauded as elegant and sophisticated. clean...sure...i'll bet it's really clean. shiny, yup. bloated looking? yup. so if what you're after is a shiny, white, clean computer - this is perhaps your best bet. if what you're looking for is something that pushes the boundaries of industrial design beyond corian-countertop meets boeing nose-cone than you might have to look a little harder.

21. katchow macrumors 6502

yes, you can try to judge it by whatever aesthetics you find important...yup.

its still going to be a matter of taste...yup.

critics have wrestled with formulas for what makes good art/design for centuries...yup...to no avail...even critics w/ these so called "credentials" often disagree about very fundamental things...and you know, there is a reason why critics are not artists themselves...

i dont want to break it down to a physcological level but let's face it perception is individual...

i dont want to sound "new-age", but i get a good vibe from this design...

now i can see easy arguments for the utiltarian side of design, but debating the art/beauty side of the coin is just intellectual masterbation...

sorry for ranting...i think the design is superb...yup.

katchow

22. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I definitely like the looks of this thing...

and I qualify to purchase one...he he he...:D

just too bad I do not need one... :(

23. King Cobra macrumors 603

Being that the eMac, IMO, looks so futuristic, I still like my 0.5GHz Cube and LCD display.

But that picture does give us the sense of how similar the eMac and iMac are related. They both come with a built in monitor, white Pro Speakers, a white Pro Keyboard, and a white Pro Mouse. (That white seems to be the same white on the iPod and, I think, the iBook.)

As I previously rumored, I think that Apple will keep the iLine in a white-color fashion and their Pro models something else. I wonder if the eventual G4 iBook will be white.

Fear the King.

24. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

i like the specs of the eMac but if our school got any of them, they'dd set it so it logs into just mac os 9 lol...i dont think they like os X since the server (brand new mac 2) runs on mac os 9.2 n not OSX, n both of their laptops (one ibook n one G4 laptop) both are os9 n they install outdated software on the computers lol (ie: Claris Homepage, MS Office 98, AppleWorks 5 (they hate 6.0)) n they replaced both the secretary n the accounting/puter teachers mice with the old round mice

25. kansaigaijin macrumors 6502

open wide

somebody trolling the mac pages again?

where was the newbie when the CRT displays came out? Didn't notice them then? They were pretty much the same design as the eMac. I looked at one today in Sofmap, very nice smoke grey clearish "Boeing nose" enclosure, obviously the direct ancestor of the eMac. they were ugly too, huh, Boy?
    Seriously if you look at the design trends and what the CUSTOMER wanted, the eMac is a very elegant solution. Anybody thinks Apple shouldn't be proud of it can come up with something better and post a picture here, or . . .
    Britboy, I checked the unit on display, and it looked like if I took out all the little allen keyed screws, the case would slide off, no need to put it on its face. I would assume/hope Apple had streamlined the design, the stand it self looks more robust, as it would need to be.