Amazing iPods

Discussion in 'iPod' started by DJ OJ, Aug 6, 2006.

1. DJ OJ macrumors regular

DJ OJ

Japan>Shibuya>My House. Unbelievable Ain't it!?
    How many people have accidently done something awful to their iPods, and then have them survive? Yes it may sound stupid, but...um...just read the story.

Long Story short. I was about to go to Australia. My iPod went in the washer and the dryer.It would only work connected to a wall outlet. I had an awful flight without my iPod. In australia it worked then broke. My cousin opened it up and tried to fix it. Instead it broke.We take it home. Leave in a bag 5 weeks. Connect it to my mac mini. IT WORKED!!!Happy me. It still works to this day!:) :) :) :) :) :) :)

2. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

3. DJ OJ thread starter macrumors regular

DJ OJ

Ya but...

Come on! It is still amazing! Don't you think????? Okay, whatever. Nothing worth getting upset over

4. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Maxiseller

I think it's amazing.

I recently spilled water all over my fourth Apple Keyboard and it still works. Just needed time to dry out.

It's if something burns and fries...then you have no chance. If you can turn whatever electronic item it is off before it short circuits, then you're ok. iPod is not unusual or special in this area.

5. DJ OJ thread starter macrumors regular

DJ OJ

Darn. :( Well, oh well. Won't stop anybody from sharing their stories. I hope.:p

6. JRM PowerPod macrumors 6502

I dropped my 40gb Photo (at the time practically new) on my treadmill whilst running at 18kph. I could feel the jerk on my headphones, then nothing. I see it drop and i'm like oh ^$%^, nearly fall off the treadmill myself. It hits the treadmill and goes full pelt skidding across the concrete of my garage, to be promptly stopped by the door. I contemplated just leaving it there thinking it would never work again. Went to pick it up the back had a huge dent in it, turn it over and the screen and face is scratched to death. Wouldnt turn on, did the reset and it worked fine. But i moved on to do some weights though. The treadmill had its fun for the day

7. chris200x9 macrumors 6502a

my friend was in the dark room and dropped his ipod mini into developing solution and it was still playing while submerged

8. DJ OJ thread starter macrumors regular

DJ OJ

Lol

I am sorry. Both stories are funny. Isn't it odd that iPods scratch so easily but it takes so much work to acutely destroy them:D lol

9. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Dropped my iPod mini in a swimming pool along with my B&O A8 headphones. Somebody in the pool chucked it back out (it was in for about 3 seconds), and I caught it. It was still playing when I put the headphones back in :D

It's now beginning to show it's age (battery losing masses of charge, random clickwheel changes and regular crashes), but it's worked fine between now and the incident....

10. DJ OJ thread starter macrumors regular

DJ OJ

About how long have you had your iPod? That will give me an idea of when to start saving up for a new one.

11. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Nearly 3 years I think. It might have been two though, I could be mistaken...

iPod minis are especially troublesome, or so it seems at my school...

12. DJ OJ thread starter macrumors regular

DJ OJ

Ah, OK.

13. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Why would you take an iPod to the swimming pool? :eek:

14. Moria macrumors regular

I read an article in the paper that said you should feel very last millenium if you go to the swimming pool without your iPod. :p

I think it was the Daily Mail (the only English paper I could find in Cyprus)

15. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

But how do you swim whilst dragging an iPod along behind you? It would disrupt your stroke. :D

16. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

i knocked half a glass of sprite on my TiBook. I pulled the battery out as qucik as i could, let it dry out, then pressed the button. I was relieved when it made the signature boonnnggg.....

My 3rd Gen iPod died recently. It has been dropped onto concrete from ~1 metre several times and punched in my jacket pocket (by a rough mate of mine). It was killed when that same person kicked me in the hip where my iPod was. It had a deep dent in it, and when i took it apart, i could swear i saw damage on the HDD.

17. DJ OJ thread starter macrumors regular

DJ OJ

What was he doing:confused: Take your iPod out of your pants before you play footy. :D

18. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

19. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

haha.. no... hes just fat. Hes a complete idiot, but thats a seperate topic form the one on hand. :p

ive heard stories about people who have left their iPod shuffles in the pocket of their jeans while they were put through the washing machine, and they still worked after.

20. savar macrumors 68000

savar

Water is surprisingly non-destructive to electronics. Most of these little devices are low voltage, and water (especially purified) has a pretty high resistance, so even if you short circuit something you won't get a lot of current pulled through. Of course, crossing all those signal lines can lead to data corruption...its kind of like your ipod on drugs.

21. DJ OJ thread starter macrumors regular

DJ OJ

Ya, Odd thing to. So, How about WWDC??? Ehhh?

22. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

my girlfriend placed my ipod on the top shelf of my closet on top of some clothes...i have no idea why...

so i went to go grab some shorts to wear...
    and down came my ipod, head (screen) first, CRACK i hear as it lands on the edge of my closet.

i pick it up to enjoy the pleasant view of liquid flowing through the screen....it still works but it's now useless.

in a fit of anger i smash the ipod against the wall and extract the hard drive.

23. rafifreak00 macrumors regular

rafifreak00

my ipod shuffle went through the washing and drying machine twice-

worked fine.. it was wrapped in three one dollar bills when it came out of the machine

24. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

yeah my cousin's iPod accidentally got completely submerged in a cup of beer at a party (don't know how it happened, all i know is that's what happened...) and for months it would only play what was on it currently, he couldn't update. He was bummed too cuz he had deleted a lot of songs on his iPod and was managing them manually so it was like the songs were trapped on his iPod. Then one day he just plugged it in for the hell of it and it works! Electronics are strange!

25. DJ OJ thread starter macrumors regular

DJ OJ