Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bueller1

Suspended
Jun 13, 2012
Looking forward to getting one (waiting for the Skylake revision though as I'm not in any rush).
The one massive thing that really bugs me about this laptop is the lack of a second USB-C on the other side. There is room for it, it would mean easy charging from either direction, it would mean if the only source of power and connection failed, you atleast have a second you can still use, not too mention being able to charge while also connected to something else. I really feel it is a design flaw, I don't expect them to rectify it but it would have made the difference between the perfect laptop and an almost perfect laptop.
Performance should be fine once Skylake arrives (nothing major I know but enough of an improvement) that it will be pretty much perfect for my needs.

I agree. I keep finding myself looking for a new adapter to go on sale that fixes my need for charging and using more than one USB-A at a time. I have the ridiculously priced $80 HDMI, USB-C, USB-A adapter but it looks dated, clunky and white.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
I agree. I keep finding myself looking for a new adapter to go on sale that fixes my need for charging and using more than one USB-A at a time. I have the ridiculously priced $80 HDMI, USB-C, USB-A adapter but it looks dated, clunky and white.

Try the Juiced Systems MBA-02SG 12" Macbook 5-in-1 Adapter v2 (with USB -C Charging Port) - got it on Amazon for $35 a week back. Works really well.

Update: This little baby gets really hot if used extensively or pushed (the adapter). Not good.

Last edited:

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
Wonderful that you love your new rMB - It's an awesome little machine, and the best laptop I've had so far... Love the portability, the battery life and so far, it's been as speedy and snappy as anything I've used yet (not a massive power-intensive user though)

Reactions: Jetcat3 and dk001

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Just had mine for a week now and will say I am impressed.
I use this a few hours a day and haven't charged it till today (about 40%). Battery has been very good. Setup is pretty close to stock at the moment.
Not using this as a power machine and it is working really well. Between trying not to use any connectors and learning new stuff (just came from a Surface Pro) I am having fun.
btw - the keyboard was extremely easy to get used to. I'm finding it better for long term typing (writing white papers) than my stock Lenovo.

Reactions: Jetcat3

Bioshock.Rocks

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2016
I got mine for about $400 off some guy that didn't know a lick about macs with power adapter + cord and a USB - USB-c adapter.

I'm thinking about getting rid of my 2011 i7 Macbook Pro and keeping this bad boy as my daily machine. I LOVE this macbook :)

The ONLY thing that might be an issue is the battery is already down to like 94% battery capacity and the battery is only 7 months old!

Reactions: dk001

MacGurl111

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2010
Seattle
Odd question, for those who purchase off craigslist or offerup, when you meet the person do you ask to open the item? I'm always scared to just buy it and not open. So many people could have opened it, put a brick in it and resealed the box. lol

Last edited:
Reactions: tonedrums

Bioshock.Rocks

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2016
Odd question, for those who purchase off craigslist or offerup, when you meet the person do you ask to open the item? I'm always scared to just buy and no open. So many people could have opened it, put a brick in it and resealed the box. lol
I would deff open the box... lol even if its sealed. There are some scammy people out there. Even if you open and see that everything is included.. I would double check that there is no Firmware password on. If theres a padlock on it when you press the alt options during power on, DO NOT buy it.

osnola ibax

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2014
I didn't get quite as a good a deal as some of the people here but `i bought used base model for €1,000. It retails for €1500 here new but when I opened this up, I saw it had 4 battery cycles used and is pristine so it really is as good as new. Delighted with it, wondering what to do with the 13" MBP sitting in my chest of drawers now as this is becoming my daily driver.

Bioshock.Rocks

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2016
I didn't get quite as a good a deal as some of the people here but `i bought used base model for €1,000. It retails for €1500 here new but when I opened this up, I saw it had 4 battery cycles used and is pristine so it really is as good as new. Delighted with it, wondering what to do with the 13" MBP sitting in my chest of drawers now as this is becoming my daily driver.
NICE!

I have a 15" MBP that is just sitting around (used to be my main laptop) - I decided to sell it on eBay :D The rMB met my needs. Except in the gaming area but I'll buy a 'gaming' laptop with my MBP money I get when sold.

osnola ibax

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2014
Im a bit more disappointed today now, had 2 libre office docs open, 2 PDF's, spotify and a safari browser with three tabs in full screen and the UI was very choppy. Must be the CPU, it was still manageable.

bnmcj1

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2014
For me the 12 inch MacBook has too much lag. Most may not sense it, but even a windows drag is too much for the MacBook to handle. It is definitely not for me.

djlukass

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2016
After initial excitement can you guys give honest feedback? Is that notebook can handle anything else than browsing web? Can it handle Logic, Photoshop etc?

osnola ibax

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2014
After initial excitement can you guys give honest feedback? Is that notebook can handle anything else than browsing web? Can it handle Logic, Photoshop etc?

To be totally honest, if you are going to be using logic or photoshop regularly, get the macbook pro. Even the extra screen space is worth it for that. But you are also going to need the ports and the extra power.

The macbook is more for media consumption, office documents, some development (as in coding html / javascript etc). Its extremely portable and light. They are the main selling points.

JD2015

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
I finally bought this sweet little macbook retina after lusting after it since release. Originally, I thought I'd wait for version 2, given perceived limitations on ports and processor. SO glad I didn't. This machine is what i've always wanted in a laptop: gorgeous screen, light weight, and great battery life. Love the keyboard as well actually.

I was lucky to buy it off craigslist for only $950! The seller got it as a gift and doesn't like Macs. He advertised it as the entry 256, 1.1, but when I got it home I realized it's the 1.2, 512gb!!

We're talking an almost new, almost $1700 machine (with taxes) for $950!

I think I'll be keeping this baby for a long, long time.
Have recently purchased one and love it. Previously had a mid 2011 macbook air. I love that there is no fan as that drives me mad when it kicked off in the macbook air, especially when you trying to say watch a video or do some focused work on a project. The screen quality is great and I really like the new keyboard. Performance wise is good enough for my needs and not seen any major performance issues. This along with my IPP are great. I do not have a printer but if did need one would only ever have a wi-fi one or just print off anything i require at work, or the library. Have ordered a USB c adapter as will need to connect it up to a projector from time to time. Just looking for a case or two to add protection when I am out and about and carrying them in my bag. Will be interesting to see the next steps with macbook range as think this the design line going forward but 3 usb c/thunderbolt ports for the macbook pro instead of the 1 seen with macbook 12.
[doublepost=1455578651][/doublepost]
I had a quick go with final cut pro X on macbook in apple store and it did okay with performance. Many reviews have said it copes fine with short projects or smaller sized files. It however starts to throttle if it is anymore than this. So basically shouldn't be used as a main machine for these purposes but is adequate for those on the go and who want to do some short bursts of editing. I am running several desktops as I speak with no lag, though not very intensive apps are in operation - word, ulysses, safari, outlook. Performance is good overall. Only downsides I have noticed is it takes longer to install large apps or open large files. I also notice when scrolling in Word or safari there is some lag but nothing that is greatly noticeable. Still a great laptop/notebook and so light to carry about.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Have recently purchased one and love it. Previously had a mid 2011 macbook air. I love that there is no fan as that drives me mad when it kicked off in the macbook air, especially when you trying to say watch a video or do some focused work on a project. The screen quality is great and I really like the new keyboard. Performance wise is good enough for my needs and not seen any major performance issues. This along with my IPP are great. I do not have a printer but if did need one would only ever have a wi-fi one or just print off anything i require at work, or the library. Have ordered a USB c adapter as will need to connect it up to a projector from time to time. Just looking for a case or two to add protection when I am out and about and carrying them in my bag. Will be interesting to see the next steps with macbook range as think this the design line going forward but 3 usb c/thunderbolt ports for the macbook pro instead of the 1 seen with macbook 12.

I have the mid-2011 11" MBA with the 1.8 GHz Core i7 and am considering the Macbook because of its display and light weight. Which Macbook Air (processor) did you have and how does your new Macbook compare to it as far as performance is concerned?

JD2015

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
I have the mid-2011 11" MBA with the 1.8 GHz Core i7 and am considering the Macbook because of its display and light weight. Which Macbook Air (processor) did you have and how does your new Macbook compare to it as far as performance is concerned?
I had i5, 1.6CHz, 4GB RAM. mid-2011 11" MBA. Performance wise is the same for me though not specifically tested this as now sold the MBA. However, anecdotal evidence suggests it is as good. Though, I do not do have photo/video editing on either of the devices. I do though use it a lot for documents creation/maintenance (Microsoft office, ulysses, mindmapping, project management, research) and accessing remote work server via citrix. I also operate 3 desktops on it with no issues seen as of this post. I wouldn't hesitate to do some short pieces of video editing or design work on it. Any bottling of performance is same as seen on MBA though for my needs don't see that much of any at all. You also get more storage if wanting to store lots of media on it and of course airdrop works with iOS devices really well out of the box. Haven't tried out USB C for anything except charging it with the supplied power source so cannot comment on connecting it to a separate screen or a projector yet didn't do this with MBA.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
I had i5, 1.6CHz, 4GB RAM. mid-2011 11" MBA. Performance wise is the same for me though not specifically tested this as now sold the MBA. However, anecdotal evidence suggests it is as good. Though, I do not do have photo/video editing on either of the devices. I do though use it a lot for documents creation/maintenance (Microsoft office, ulysses, mindmapping, project management, research) and accessing remote work server via citrix. I also operate 3 desktops on it with no issues seen as of this post. I wouldn't hesitate to do some short pieces of video editing or design work on it. Any bottling of performance is same as seen on MBA though for my needs don't see that much of any at all. You also get more storage if wanting to store lots of media on it and of course airdrop works with iOS devices really well out of the box. Haven't tried out USB C for anything except charging it with the supplied power source so cannot comment on connecting it to a separate screen or a projector yet didn't do this with MBA.

Thank you. That helps. Your use case is very similar to mine. I'll probably buy a MB after the next refresh unless Apple updates the MBA with Retina displays, which would surprise me.

macsation

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 7, 2009
Washington, DC
Just picked up an iPad Pro! Awesome companion to my MacBook. I use it as a 2nd monitor at home and on the road. Movies, books, photos. Gorgeous piece of tech has well!

Ovedius

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2012
Norway
Just picked up an iPad Pro! Awesome companion to my MacBook. I use it as a 2nd monitor at home and on the road. Movies, books, photos. Gorgeous piece of tech has well!

This is a bit of a tangent, really. But here goes.

I'm really pleasantly surprised by the Smart Keyboard for the Pro.
I don't have one myself, I recently went to a retailer and spent some quality time with the iPad Pro and the Retina MacBook and I liked the Smart Keyboard WAY more than the keys on the Retina MacBook.
Just miles better in my opinion.

I find the spacing between the keys on the Smart Keyboard really help with the typing.
Unlike the close set, fat keys on the Retina MacBook.
But I'm sure the MacBook keys work great once you get used to them.
-underlined to deter those who are about to valiantly leap to the defence of the Retina MacBook keyboard ;)

macsation

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 7, 2009
Washington, DC
This is a bit of a tangent, really. But here goes.

I'm really pleasantly surprised by the Smart Keyboard for the Pro.
I don't have one myself, I recently went to a retailer and spent some quality time with the iPad Pro and the Retina MacBook and I liked the Smart Keyboard WAY more than the keys on the Retina MacBook.
Just miles better in my opinion.

I find the spacing between the keys on the Smart Keyboard really help with the typing.
Unlike the close set, fat keys on the Retina MacBook.
But I'm sure the MacBook keys work great once you get used to them.
-underlined to deter those who are about to valiantly leap to the defence of the Retina MacBook keyboard ;)

Hmm, yea, not sure. I didn't buy the iPad Pro keyboard. Instead I use the new
apple Magic keyboard for both Macbook at home and IPP on the road. If I'm doing stuff that requires a lot of typing locally, I just take the macbook.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.