AMAZING slowdown with Diablo 2 and Tiger 10.4.2

Discussion in 'Games' started by Littleodie914, Aug 3, 2005.

1. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Hey guys, I don't know if this is just an issue I'm having or what, but I just installed Diablo 2 on my iBook and iMac under Tiger 10.4.2, and it runs amazingly slow. It ran fine under Panther, definitely playable in all situations. I was playing single player, and it was running alright until I got outside and started fighting stuff. It dropped to literally 2 or 3 frames per second. I don't know what the problem is, but I'm wondering if anyone else is having it. Could it be a OpenGL issue of some sort? I should also note that Diablo 2 is patched to 1.11. (Maybe there's something wrong with the new patch?) Sorry I don't have any speed references to Tiger 10.4 or 10.4.1 or any previous versions of Diablo 2, but I'm just wondering what happened :(

Edit: Hmm... Very strange, the problem was instantly solved when I switched from OpenGL to Software Rendering... Difference was like night and day. You'd think with a relatively new iBook (sig), OpenGL would be the better option? :confused:

2. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Actually, that depends on the version of Panther. With 10.3.5 (and earlier, I think), it ran in a way that sounds very similar to your problem, though not quite as bad (with software mode running smoother, etc.). Somewhere around 10.3.7, they fixed the problem. Maybe 10.4 un-fixes it? That would be annoying....

--Eric

3. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I'm not a whizzkid, how do I know if I'm running OpenGL? Because Diablo II LoD runs fine for me under Tiger, but of course, the last time I played it under Panther was on my PB not my iMac-- so that could have skewed things a bit.

4. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

It's been a bit of a while since I played D2 last, but I think if you hold down the option key as you launch it, you'll get the dialogue box that lets you decide whether to use openGL or not, etc.

5. Littleodie914 thread starter macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Yep, that's the way to do it. Just to update ya, I just installed it on our iMac G5, and there's no slowdown either way... So I'm not sure if the issue's only on my iBook, or if it's on both but the iMac's just so fast it runs okay anyways. Weird...

6. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

I know OpenGL rendering in D2 used to be majorly horked. For over a year I played it at pathetic frame rates, then one day read about OpenGL not working properly on Macs. I disabled OpenGL and used Software rendering mode and everything was suddenly silky-smooth. Software mode should be slower on a OpenGL capable computer, of course, but it was not in my case. Of course the last time I played D2 was on OS X 10.2.something, so it may well be different now.

7. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

It must be a bug like early versions of panther had; My 266MHz iMac ran D2:LoD without major issues so it certainly shouldn't be a performance problem!

8. Littleodie914 thread starter macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Hmm... Now whenever I play with my druid character in single player or multiplayer, I get a fatal internal error... My necromancer works fine, but any druid's I make (even completely new lvl 1 characters) cause that error just when the loading screen should change to the actual game. You guys all having this problem too? We're visiting a college right now and we're 12 hours away from home... (Michigan Tech University), so I can't do a re-install without my discs. I've got LOD saved as a mountable toast image but not the original discs and I can't figure out how to re-install just the expansion. Very strange... :confused: :(

9. TrenchMouth macrumors 6502

i had a similar slowdown issue with panther when i first installed it. my first solution was to just play the game in OS 9, it ran much faster than it ever did in X. my second solution was to stop playing diablo, it is like crack.