Amazon and Best Buy Out of Stock of MB Air 13" 256gb - A sign?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by shenan1982, Mar 28, 2012.

1. macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Kind of an interesting observation. Both Amazon and Best Buy are out of stock (Amazon.com and several local BBY stores) of the high 13" model. I contacted Amazon and they don't know when they're getting more in. This is very unusual for Amazon to be out of stock of a Mac unless there's a refresh. Hope it's true.

2. macrumors 65816

Unlikely. The dual core IB processors will be released later in the year after the SB dual core stock runs down. The quad core IB processors should be released around the start of summer. So you'll see the workstation laptops refreshed before the standard and travel laptops.

3. thread starter macrumors 68040

shenan1982

But they're releasing both at the same time... so it comes down to what Apple wants to do with the chips... and in the last year Air outsold Pro 3 to 1, so I'd imagine that's where Apple's going to focus their efforts. Notice now when you go into an apple store, the front tables are all Air... they have a couple MBP in the sides toward the back-middle of the stores. MacBookPro has become a dinosaur.

4. macrumors G3

Actually there are a couple of mobile IB chips being released at the end of April, they are good possibilities for the Pro. The IvyBridge chips that Apple will use for the Air are not scheduled to be released until early June.

5. thread starter macrumors 68040

shenan1982

"Actually" . . . (funny when people say that, it demonstrates insecurity and the need to feel self-assured that they're making a correction)

Right, and that was said last year and low and behold Apple released the Air with the new chips before the chip was even officially "released"

6. macrumors G3

Ahh, but I did not say when the Air would show up. I stated a know fact - that being Intel's announced schedule for chips. And it is true the Apple does sometimes get chips early from Apple, but not always.

The unknown in this could be a parts supply issue and not a new model coming out soon. It's a tough call as to the actual reason for the delay for stores getting shipments.

What makes it unlikely that the new Air is imminent is the lack of any other current rumors around it. Note that I did say unlikely and not impossible.

7. thread starter macrumors 68040

shenan1982

It's not expected to get a redesign, just a spec bump, and we generally don't see an influx of rumors prior to that type of thing. It just shows up in the Apple store. It's not an iPad 3 (err "The NEW iPad")... you're not going to see secret spy shots cause the next MB Air is expected to LOOK exactly the same.

8. macrumors 65816

9. macrumors regular

Actually, a lot of macrumorzens use that word in passive aggressive arguments and while I don't like seeing it used often here, I do enjoy using it in real life pompous conversations. And, actually, while us normal consumers won't know when the new MBA's come out, there is someone in this forum who knows when they'll be released, but they have no incentive to release that info.

Also, please don't "negative" this post because you'll end up in hell and no one wants to go to hell. :)

10. thread starter macrumors 68040

shenan1982

11. macrumors 65816

Except he is right. Look at my link above in my last post. Shows end of April for quads (i.e. MBP) and June time for duals (MBP 13/MBA).

12. thread starter macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Yeah congrats on reposting an Intel Press Release. Do you not read? last year they released a date, and that's when they released them to the "public" ... that is after Apple was given 1 month advance delivery, duhhhh!

13. macrumors 65816

One month would still put them in May, not April. Not to mention they may not have them in advance this year - there is nothing stating that they do. All we know is what is published, anything else is just guessing. The only published information from Intel says April for quad and June for dual.

You know, you also don't need to be rude about this stuff either.

14. thread starter macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Not rude. Using history as a guide for what will happen in the future is generally more accurate than pure speculation. Look what happened in Iraq, did we find any WMDs? heheh. Wasnt trying to be rude, sorry.

15. macrumors 6502a

You are being rude. Using history as a guide, Apple has gotten chips earlier than other vendors before, but seeing as the dual-core chips aren't due until June, it's highly unlikely Apple will get the chips 2 months early. The most we've seen is one or two weeks. Furthermore, Best Buy and Amazon frequently go out of stock just to replenish it again a few months later. It's not a big deal.

16. thread starter macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Ok. You are right. We should close down this site because anyone who brings anything up just gets told they're wrong. I'm bowing out of this conversation with one last comment...

EVERY spec bump in the past has been preceded by an inventory shortage. I didn't say it's the new processors, hell, Apple is known for being slow. For all we know they could refresh them TOMORROW (or Tuesday) with an SD slot on the 11", 8GB RAM, 128\256\512 base config SSD... YOU have no clue. You're so quick to jump and say not possible. Obviously you've forgotten how even after SB chips came out Apple released C2D MBPs! Apple is generally conservative with their releases, so stop saying they won't. You have ZERO evidence they won't.

I'm sorry I posted what is typically an indication of refresh. I'll just bite my tongue next time and let people post 400 threads with "should I wait or should I buy now?" which serve no purpose to the general population.

17. macrumors newbie

What's the big deal about it? They'll get released when they get released, sheesh! I just bought one last weekend and I love it. I don't see any reason why I'd have to replace it anytime soon, that's just me:p

18. macrumors 6502a

The problem with the situation wasn't your original post. Amazon and Best Buy shortages often do precede product refreshes, but they also often lead to nothing. The problem here was that as soon as someone contradicted you, you got defensive and rude.

Just like no one has evidence that they won't, you have no evidence that they will. It's pure speculation. Stop acting like being contradicted is an attack on your well-being.

19. thread starter macrumors 68040

shenan1982

What if this comes out tomorrow:

13" or 11"

i7 across the board
    128\256\512 for the same price scheme as 64\128\256
    8GB RAM Standard

So for the same price you wouldn't upgrade? I'd say that's a reason to replace it soon. It's not a question of IF the above is a reality, it's WHEN

----------

I don't take anything personal on here.

We know they will refresh, it's only a matter of time, and statistically it's going to happen sooner than later. But yeah, pure speculation, and generally speculation is initiated by people noticing product supply shortages like I noticed. Yeah, they run out of things, but it's EXTREMELY rare for a company like Amazon to suddenly DISCONTINUE (oh did I not mention that, they're not BACKORDER, they have completely REMOVED the item from the Ships\Sold by Amazon) an item like an Apple Macbook Air. But what do I know, I only shop Amazon.com every day and post my personal observations.

20. macrumors newbie

That would be an awesome deal indeed! Very tempting and I would probably upgrade if I had another $1,400 bucks to spend right away lol. Not because I think I have a crappy MBA, I'd do it for bragging rights and I would also have the latest! I guess is varies from person to person and their needs. I really hope they come out with specs similar to those, that would be awesome!:)

I get what your saying, actually (lmao) I was checking the Buyers Guide and debating whether I should buy my MBA or wait for the refresh. I just went ahead and bought it and it has been one of the best investments I've done recently.

21. macrumors 603

heisenberg123

HAHAHAAHAH 512 SSD for the same price as 256 HAHAHAHA apple pillage a rape people on RAM and Storage prices but now they will give them away

22. thread starter macrumors 68040

shenan1982

The prices have been almost the same since the MacBook Pro debuted almost 10 years ago, yet specs bump as technology bumps. To still have a 64GB as entry for a computer is very unlikely IMO, but that's guessing. The highest RAM always comes with a premium obviously. I think Standard config will be 128 base and 256 "better" and 512 CTO "ultimate"....

Everyone always looks to the stars to try and figure out the future. Apple has never been unpredictable with their computers, don't reinvent the wheel, the past guides the future when it comes to upgrades. I think it's highly likely we'll see a refresh with existing i5\i7 chips before the IB refresh. I would LOVE to be wrong, but probably won't be :-(

23. macrumors 603

heisenberg123

i dont care about the line up

if a MBA comes out tomorrow with a 512GB SSD and 8GB of RAM it will not be the same price as one today with 256 and 4

24. thread starter macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Nope, but if today's lineup is $999\$1199 on the 11's for 64\128, it's EXTREMELY probable that they'd go to 128\256 for the same price. And increasing the RAM is a given.

Anyhow...

25. macrumors 65816

The only two things that'll make me switch out of my current MBA 13":
    8GB RAM + HD 4000 iGPU.

The iGPU is a given, the RAM is not. I'm really hoping for that 4GB bump though.

Storage space isn't a big deal. I've been using a 256GB SSD for a couple years now with an external drive to store my music (moved to iCloud now), photos (50GB of travel photos aren't required day to day), and ISO images (MSDN member, saves me from downloading them again).

I use about half of my 256GB SSD for day to day work.