Amazon Black Macbook Core Duo Advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by spacecadet610, Nov 8, 2006.

1. spacecadet610 macrumors 6502

Mar 11, 2006
    For a while I had been planning on buying the new Macbook when the Core 2 Duo came out. I've had the older black macbook ($1499) in my shopping cart on Amazon just for the heck of it.

Well today when the new macbooks came out, the old black macbook in my amazon shopping cart showed a price of $1199.99 with a ship date of 2-3 weeks (not currently in stock). I thought it was such a good deal i went ahead and ordered it. I assume i'll also get the $100 rebate.

Now what the heck is going on? Will i get the new Macbook instead? (since i doubt amazon will be getting more of the older black macbooks) $1099.99 AR for a brand new black macbook is too good for me to pass up. Hopefully i'll get the new one.

Has any one in the past ordered an out-of-stock Amazon mac laptop right when the laptop was updated, and gotten the newer one? I'm tempted to place a pre-order for the newer macbook since i want to get it ASAP.
  2. walleyealx macrumors member

Oct 22, 2006
    Amazon is quite shady,

You will either get the old macbook, or nothing.

have fun!
  3. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

May 3, 2005
    Washington, DC

Wow, you're high. I've NEVER had a problem with anything I've ordered from GO for it, they're totally legit.
  4. spacecadet610 thread starter macrumors 6502

Mar 11, 2006
    Ok so then my question to everyine is would you rather have the old black macbook for $1099.99 AR or the new black macbook for $1499 (minus possible $100 rebate?).

I don't do any hardcore processing or gaming so i suppose the Core 2 Duo will not give me all that much. Extra hard drive space is moot since i store all big files (music, movies, TV) on an NAS. And i was planning on buying an extra 2 gb ram elsewhere so the extra RAM doesn't help.

Am i missing anything? The cheaper option is best for me, right?
  5. Ugg macrumors 68000

Apr 7, 2003
    If money is tight, then you're doing the right thing. The pros will be better of with the C2D but for average user won't gain much if anything.
  6. matticus008 macrumors 68040

Jan 16, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    They won't upgrade you to the new one with your pending order like the Apple store does. They may yet get more of the Core Duo models in stock and ship that to you. If they don't, they will simply not fill the order and after some period of time, they will inform you that your order is not available. You won't be charged, and you'll be given the opportunity to buy the Core 2 Duo model if you so choose (for the normal Amazon price and not $1199).

I think the Core Duo model at $1199 is a steal.