1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Amazon buying Audible.com

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Jan 31, 2008.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors Core

i do wonder how this will pan out for iTunes.

3. macrumors 68020

LizKat

Yeh well Amazon actually wonders how it will pan out for Amazon. It's not like Audible hasn't been struggling for years to stay afloat. This seems like golden parachute time for the Audible honchos and a potential writeoff for Amazon if it doesn't work well for them. If it does work then all it does is sop up some of the losses Amazon takes from not having tweaked their free shipping parameters out of the red ink factory yet. Letting a FedEx truck make a 130 mile round trip to drop off some cookware at my place out in the sticks, ai ai ai... nice for me, nice for FedEx (maybe), but Amazon should invest in petrol stocks.

4. macrumors 68000

spazzcat

I hope they don't mess Audible up! I don't want to go back to getting my audio books from the library.

5. macrumors 6502a

yoman

Exclusive no more...

It would be safe to assume that the iTunes Audible exclusive agreement will no longer exist. The question is will there be any agreement at all.

6. macrumors Core

my thoughts exactly. depends on what Amazon will do with it.

7. macrumors 68000

mklos

I think this is something Apple should have done. They have $18.5 Billion in the bank and is doing absolutely nothing with it. They could have done great things with Audible.

8. macrumors 6502

That depends on what the contract is, doesn't it? My understanding is that contracts are not voided by acquisition. I have no idea what their contract is like, and it might be worth the money to pay the penalty and escape...