Amazon.com hacked?

Discussion in 'Community' started by shadowfax, Oct 2, 2003.

1. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

this afternoon, i sent a friend of mine to get some track lists for an album off amazon. he told me promptly to go to amazon.com. clicking on it, i found that it went to a blank white page that said "FOO." i got this message on my computer here in Oklahoma, and my friend was getting it at UT. another friend of mine in Illinois also had it load up with FOO.

after about 30 minutes, the normal amazon.com came back up. anyone else have this happen?

2. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

Nope, but I am sitting out a DoS attack at one of my clients offices right now. :rolleyes: I am about to move the server to the backup internet to see if the attack is on my IP and if it will stop..... <sigh> Some days I do not like my job. :( (Cuz this client will think this is somehow my fault... Lawyers... :rolleyes: )

3. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Could it just have been an unscheduled backup or upgrade? As far as I know this has never happened to my wife!

4. shadowfax thread starter macrumors 603

shadowfax

how? why would they post a page that said

FOO

on it?

5. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

FOO is a programming thing. It's sorta reserved for files that don't exist for examples and stuff I believe.

P-Worm

6. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Err, or maybe it was down for Maintenance...

Or maybe it was hacked...

Either way -- does anyone have a picture?

7. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Anyone know what kind of server system they were running?

8. Wardofsky macrumors 65816

Well, initially I thought I could find out through ~/Apps/Utils/Network Utility and doing a Lookup would find out the info.

But for some reason, it could not find the host "amazon.com", pinging amazon.com comes up with no reply.

Can't find anything on it...

9. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

Your ISP could be running a transparent web caching proxy and it could have been broken... A possibility. If your were using a windows machine, I would blame it on the new windows virus that changes your dns servers... Hackers could use it to snoop on all your http traffic.