Amazon.com Rebates on Apple Laptops

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by dotnina, Aug 31, 2004.

1. dotnina macrumors 6502a

I was browsing on Amazon.com today and noticed a number of Rev C iBooks and Powerbooks with $150 rebates.

Rebate Link

I have no idea why there are rebates, though ... maybe they're trying to compete with the Cram and Jam rebates? The only other time I've seen such discounts on Powerbooks / iBooks is right after a product upgrade.

Anyway, I'm not necessarily endorsing Amazon.com, just passing this along. It seems like a good deal if you're in one of the states where they don't charge tax.

2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

3. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

Does anybody know how long this rebate lasts? I am planning on buying a 12" PowerBook sometime around Christmas and I might as well buy it when I can get $150 off.

But then again I could buy refurbished, anybody know the pros and cons of buying a refurbished vs one from Amazon?

4. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

Well, if you click on the link above, it says that the current rebate is good for purchases made by September 26. However, after this rebate ends, there may be another right after. It looks like before this, there was another $150 rebate that expired on August 1. But, if you don't buy before September 26, there is a chance you will get no rebate, and Amazon is hoping that threat will get you to buy as soon as possible.

5. Joeytpg macrumors 6502

Joeytpg

ok so what's the deal with the rebate.........this means for example that if i buy an ibook that costs $1,200 and has the $150 rebate........i'll pay 1,200 and then i'll receive 150 dollars in my mail?..... how long after?.....can someone explain this to me?

i don't live in U.S. so i'm not familiarized with the rebates and other promotional stuff like this. :)

can someone explain?

6. dotnina thread starter macrumors 6502a

I didn't read the exact terms of this rebate (I already have a Powerbook :)) but rebates in general work like so:

You buy an item. You fill out a rebate form (name, address, basic info like that). You cut out the UPC from the box. You photocopy your receipt. You mail a copy of the UPC, receipt and rebate form to a particular address. Some weeks later (I've had as good as 3 and as bad as 10), you get a check in the mail for the rebate amount.

Exact rules vary; it depends on the particular terms of the rebate.