Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lkrupp

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2004
Apple is really dropping the ball by not allowing third party apps on the AppleTV. The space is wide open, and Amazon offers a great product with Prime. If they capitalize on that with a cheap set top box that allows apps, they can really own the space.
Apple has a great opportunity to change the whole industry with an app-enabled ATV. Video games, channel-specific streaming, etc. there's huge demand for this, and while I'm sure they're working on it, they can't wait forever.

Baloney!

----------

"The box will compete with similar offerings like the Apple TV..."

What, like the Kindle "competes" with the iPad?

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
So is this going to be another Apple "killer" like the Kindle Fire was?

iamkarlp

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2008
Have no idea why there is so much hate for the ATV over at Apple, going for years calling it a hobby, etc.

There is no hate. It is a hobby. You gotta remember, no matter how vocal this crowd may sometimes be - this was (and in many ways still is) a very niche business. Typically a company like Apple wouldn't even be involved in such a product. The very fact that they have continued to even look at it, shows that they know there will be a market in the future.

Consider the aTV as a prospector laying claim. At the moment they are just keeping up appearances. Making sure that it has a story to tell (Integration with the rest of your Apple Products & Services more than anything)

Once they have found the appropriate interface to control a TV* in a living room setting, they will re-define what the aTV is and show the world what they have been working on.

When SJ says he cracked the TV, my guess is he was referring to the control mechanism; and that's fine if other people know that. They still have no idea what it may be.**

Karl P

* - I don't think that it exists yet, or at least in a useable form. Maybe for some reason it just can't exist yet

** - They may not even realize that what we currently have doesn't work well enough to be a player outside of a curious niche.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
So is this going to be another Apple "killer" like the Kindle Fire was?

Apples and oranges. How "smart" does a set top box have to be. If the Amazon box has a decent UI and accesses Amazon's movie/tv library - and it's "cheap" - that's all they need. They don't need to "kill" anything.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Is that a customer concern? Or a stockholder concern?

I suppose its both, if you're a customer that's some how invested in AMZN. It still blows my mind that Apple can make in one quarter more profit than Amazon has made in its entire existence.

2bikes

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
Actually - I wonder if they would offer the box free to prime members as an incentive to sign up

Good point! That would bring extra pressure on Netflix which I think is the real competition for Amazon Prime (at least for a while).

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
I am guessing everything is being devoted to the iPhone/iPad teams and products.

I agree 100% with your statement. This box could do so much more!!!

that really is quite pathetic considering apples size. and lets not fool ourselves into thinking that something revolutionary happens every year with the different sized touch device.

apple is so much on its heels its embarrassing

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Apple is really dropping the ball by not allowing third party apps on the AppleTV. The space is wide open, and Amazon offers a great product with Prime. If they capitalize on that with a cheap set top box that allows apps, they can really own the space.
Apple has a great opportunity to change the whole industry with an app-enabled ATV. Video games, channel-specific streaming, etc. there's huge demand for this, and while I'm sure they're working on it, they can't wait forever.

airplay, a feature that amazon instant video disables in their app

yano729

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2011
Apple should buy netflix and then take care of the live tv sports/news stuff and they will be golden. netflix is already experiencing a slight decline in its market as people just share their username and password with everyone. Apple is obviously better at preventing this then netflix and would make perfect sense with that mound of cash sitting in apples hand.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Apples and oranges. How "smart" does a set top box have to be. If the Amazon box has a decent UI and accesses Amazon's movie/tv library - and it's "cheap" - that's all they need. They don't need to "kill" anything.

Guess I should have used a /s tag. These days every product rumor from another company is called an Apple [insert product name here] killer. I mean no other reason for this to be front page news on MR is there?

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I suppose its both, if you're a customer that's some how invested in AMZN. It still blows my mind that Apple can make in one quarter more profit than Amazon has made in its entire existence.

If I'm a customer - I don't care whether or not Amazon is making a profit on a device they are selling me as long as the device I am buying works as promised and is worth what I am paying for it (value/bargain).

If I am a stockholder - of course I care about profit margins.

I'm just trying to understand the comment made. Was it snarky as a dig on Amazon's hardware model - or a genuine question. Because again - as a customer - I'm not sure why I would concern myself with Amazon's bottom line.

Whatever they will charge for the device won't really concern me with "lifetime" of usage. It's not like Amazon will release the box and then be out of business a few months later. Buying "into" their ecosystem isn't much of a risk.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009

if all it does is amazon instant video, then its a major fail

b_scott

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
also Roku competitor. Among many others. No one wants more set top boxes.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Guess I should have used a /s tag. These days every product rumor from another company is called an Apple [insert product name here] killer. I mean no other reason for this to be front page news on MR is there?

I would agree with that. There's a lot of link/post bait on this site - more than from what I remember a few years back. Then again - competition is greater.

if all it does is amazon instant video, then its a major fail

Never said that's all it would do. And if that IS all it did but was offered free with prime membership - I think it could still be successful as a means to stream movies/tv shows to a TV that isn't "connected" of which there are millions out there.

I guess we'll see what is released when it's released. Until then - I guess we'll read a lot of posts about "fail" or the like. Silly nonsense if you ask me.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Exactly. They make tiny little tweaks here and there, but it's not much different than when it first came out. I bet they're hesitant because of poor interface via remote, but everyone has a smartphone now, and if you integrate siri, you can eliminate a lot of typing/searching. Apple is giving everyone else a huge opening.

The good news is that is works with a bluetooth keyboard now, so makes navigation and searching waaayyyy better.

One of the main things I was looking for in a new tv was amazon instant video. Kind of works out that panasonic makes the best plasmas and has it built in.

iamkarlp

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2008

Give it a decade or so.

They are slowly killing their competition*

While I agree that Amazon has a crazy valuation, the reality is they are in the process of building a "legal monopoly" the likes of which we may have never seen before.

Once Amazon has built enough infrastructure and made enough deals (all while running on savagely thin margins) they will have legally suffocated* a good portion of the market. Once that happens they can get down the business of making money.

Lots. Of. Money.

With no effective competition and the cost of trying to compete coming with an astronomical** start up price to even take a (statistically dangerous) stab at it, Amazon will be able to charge what they or their shareholders want.

Not saying this will end up happening, but that's the long game - and the one which Wall St is very, highly interested in.

Karl P

* If not by shutting them down outright, then by using market pressure to force them to succumb to use amazon for payment processing, distribution or even their IT infrastructure.

** Billions upon Billions upon Billions

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.