Amazon - GUARANTEED delivery tomorrow (& cheaper)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ontheuptick, Jan 24, 2006.

1. ontheuptick macrumors member

I have a Core Due 17 iMac ordered, I placed the order over a week ago, and it still hasn't shipped. Amazon says that they will guarantee shipping next day for only 33 bucks, or I can get it in 2 days for 20 bucks. Should I cancel my order at apple and get it at amazon?

Has anyone bought and received their amazon computer yet?

2. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

I'm planning on buying mine from Amazon as the rebate and no tax makes it well worth it. Shipping is really up to you, really how soon do you want it :p
    The $20 would be nice to have it within two days but if you have waited this long...why pay for it then :cool:

3. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

the advantage with apple online is BTO. If you just want a basic off-the-shelf mac, then amazon might be a good deal. But, if you update video card, hdd, etc. and u don't like to open up your machine (like me), then apple is the better value. I have not ordered computers from amazon so i don't know what to expect.

4. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

Having it sooner now sounds great. However, in a week you'll feel different about it. Try to resist the temptation to spend more money just to get it a couple of days earlier! (however hard that may be)

You can do it! :D

5. ontheuptick thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I added 1 GB memory to my order on apple store, so I'd like to just keep it there and not have to put memory in myself. But I don't want to have to wait another week, when I could get it cheaper and sooner with Amazon, and then put the memory in myself.

Who here has bought the Intelmac from amazon and has a report? Did everything go smoothly?

6. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I haven't ordered this particular from Amazon yet, but I'm sure your order will go smoothly. Amazon has some of the best customer service on the planet, and I have ordered computers from them plus my cinema display. They are top notch.

Also, try to see if they offer you a *trial* of Amazon Prime during checkout. If they do, you can get 1-day shipping for $3.99. I'm an Amazon Prime member myself. $79 a year is really worth it for free 2-day on everything. I calculated I saved $1000 in shipping during 2005.

As far as memory, just order some and put it in yourself. You're going to save a lot buying from Amazon, with the rebate. I may order from Amazon today myself.

7. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

I placed my order for a iMac 20" Duo on Amazon yesterday and I wanted to get it before the weekend. Well, they said it is 2-3 days to ship so I did overnight and it was going to cost $30. Like the previous poster said, Amazon has a trial membership to Amazon prime which allows you to get free 2nd day shipping and $3.99 overnight shipping. I opted for overnight and now I am supposed to get my iMac on the 26th or 27th (*crosses fingers*). I bought a Mushkin stick of 1GB PC5300 DDR2 SO-DIMM from Fry's today for $108 after tax so I am just waiting on my fun new toy to arrive.

I was going to order from Apple to get the upgraded VRAM and 1GB of RAM but I couldn't pass up the Amazon deal.

Apple BTO w/ edu discount:
    Base - $1599
    VRAM - $68
    Mem - $90
    Subtotal - $1757
    Free Shipping (slow) - $0
    Total after Tax - $1867

Amazon:
    Base - $1695
    Shipping - $4
    Tax - $0
    Memory from Fry's - $108
    Mail in rebate - ($150)
    Total after rebate - $1657

So with Amazon, I get it faster, get 512MB more RAM and spend $200 less and all I miss out on is 128MB of VRAM.

8. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

Maybe it's just me but my ordered wasn't shipped slow from Apple at all. I got it 2 days after it left China with standard shipping. The build time did take three days for a total of 5 but I think the extra day or two was worth the upgraded VRAM and RAM.

9. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Well, I bit the bullet and ordered my iMac Core Duo. In a way, I wanted to wait, for future announcements to see what happens to Mac Mini and if there would be a smaller MacBook Pro. However, I felt this was a well-rounded machine, and I could always sell it, in the future, if need be.

The Amazon price was great after rebate, plus $20 more off with A9 reward, plus I had some gift certificates, and I paid $4 for overnight shipping. It should be here tomorrow (January 25).

I got the 17 inch because I wanted to keep my 20-inch ACD, so I will connect it to the iMac. I'm keeping my Powerbook to use around the house and for travel. I love my Powerbook, and it is hard to say it will no longer be my #1 Mac. However, I'm thinking I might even use my Powerbook more around the house now. With it has my main machine I have to disconnect display, USB connections, Firewire connections, audio out, power, etc. whenever i want to take it somewhere else in the house. However, now that it will only be connected to power, its just one plug to have a mobile mac ready to go. Nice.

I'm going to order memory tonight or tomorrow. I don't know, if I should get a 512 stick, so that it will match the other stick, or gig a 1 gig stick. I might get a 512 stick for now, to save money. I think 1 gig of memory would be enough, for my needs.

On a side note, I wish this thing could boot Windows, so I could sell my PC. Maybe someone will figure it out.