Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With Apple expected to introduce its "iPad mini" next month, observers are closely watching what other companies are doing in the smaller tablet space, and a media event today Amazon has shown its hand with a new line of Kindle products headlined by a new 8.9-inch Kindle Fire HD tablet with 1920x1200 display.

As noted by The Verge, the Android-based Kindle Fire HD includes stereo speakers with Dolby Digital Plus support, dual Wi-Fi antennas for better performance The Kindle Fire software has also been enhanced with new Whispersync technology for saving and syncing game and audiobook progress, as well as new parental controls, third-party apps such as Facebook and Skype, and an IMDB partnership for displaying cast and production info on movies as they're being shown.

The standard 8.9-inch Kindle Fire HD is priced at $299 with 16 GB, but Amazon is also offering a $499 Kindle Fire HD with 4G LTE model that bumps storage to 32 GB. The LTE model comes with a data package costing $49.99 per year that offers 250 MB per month of data, 20 GB of cloud storage, and a $10 Amazon Appstore credit. Both models ship on November 20. Amazon is also introducing a 7-inch 16 GB Kindle Fire HD for $199 that begins shipping on September 14, but details on differences from the 8.9-inch model such as screen resolution are not yet clear.

bezos_fire_hd_fire.jpg

Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos introducing new Kindle Fire lineup
Amazon has also introduced an updated original Kindle Fire. The Verge notes that the 7-inch Android tablet has been updated with a new processor, more RAM, and increased battery life. The updates also come with a significant price drop to $159, down from the current $199. The new Kindle Fire begins shipping on September 14.

Finally, Amazon offered updates to its more traditional Kindle lineup, dropping the entry-level Kindle price to just $69 while introducing its new Kindle Paperwhite, as detailed by TechCrunch. The Kindle Paperwhite, which will be available October 1 at $119 for the standard model and $179 for the 3G model with free cellular access, includes frontlighting while still boasting an 8-week battery life.

Update 12:58 PM: Amazon's Kindle Fire HD press release clarifies that the resolution on the 7-inch model is 1280x800.

Article Link: Amazon Introduces 8.9-Inch and 7-Inch Kindle Fire HD at $299 and $199, Updated Kindle Fire Drops to $159

MasterHowl

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
North of England
Wow, that looks pretty impressive!

Apple have got their work cut out now getting the price down on the "iPad mini" to beat this... but then again, competition can only be a good thing!

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
competition! i can't wait to test one. probably still go with an iPad mini, though. but still! you rock, Amazon. :D

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
I wouldn't mind if the Fire HD hit Europe before Christmas myself. If the Android development community jump on it it'll make it an even more attractive purchase.

Amazon easily had the best announcements compared to Nokia and Motorola this week. Roll on the 12th to see the next phase of announcements from Apple.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
It's freakin awesome that all these tablet/smartphone makers are trying to one up each other. I personally love the competition in the tablet market especially. The dominance of the iPad is causing other makers to do drastic things which in turn results in amazing (and many times different) tech at various prices.

The Fire HD looks pretty sweet. If Gizmodo's drooling on their liveblog was any indication, it'll probably add to its total marketshare barring something REALLY crazy from the iPad mini.

mariocapo

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2009
Las Vegas
Gotta give Amazon a lot of credit. They took a lot of great pages out of the Apple playbook when it comes to ecosystem, hardware/software integration and product presentations. The Fire HD with 4G, 32GB internal storage, 200GB cloud storage and $50/year data plan is pretty mind-blowing for $499. Wow! I should add, while still putting their own innovative twists on their products in both hardware and software. Nice to see some companies can compete without cloning.

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
Hmm. Might have to upgrade the Ol' $79 Kindle to the new frontlit one. Then I can really use it anywhere.

Definitely don't see a new Fire replacing my iPad 3 ever. But I wonder how it compares to the Nexus 7. Just got my mom one last week so that we can Skype since I've moved. Didn't see it while skimming - either Fire have a front camera? If not, there goes that comparison.

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2003
Washington
I'm glad to see some other solid players in the tablet market. It's yet to be seen whether the quality is on par with the iPad, or if they will sell, but from the tech specs and what we known of the old ones it looks like it should make Apple just nervous enough to try harder. And trying harder on the iPad is great for me :)

Rizzm

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2012
Apple seems to be seriously falling behind in hardware offerings on mobile products. They need to pick things up and/or drop prices for sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.