Amazon Launches App For College Students

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 15, 2011.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Amazon is targeting college students with a new iPhone app, aptly named "Amazon Student".

The app ties together a number of features in a package specifically for students. Users can compare prices, buy or sell textbooks, and sell other items they don't need (like video games or DVD's that are no longer needed) as well. The app includes Amazon's barcode scanning software too. The idea is a student can go to the campus bookstore, scan the barcodes of their textbooks and see if Amazon can supply them cheaper.

[​IMG]

As an added perk, "Amazon Students" get 6 months of free two-day shipping via Amazon Prime.

Amazon Students is available for iPhone and iPod Touch, free on the App Store [iTunes].

Article Link: Amazon Launches App For College Students

2. appleguy123, Aug 15, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2011

macrumors 603

appleguy123

If anyone is looking for textbooks, I have a code for $25 off $100 in textbooks at Amazon. I'm going to give it away for free, just please make sure you're going to use it if you take it.

Message me.

Edit: gave away

Ask in this thread if you still want one. Everyone with a special offer kindle can redeem a code for you.

3. macrumors regular

Amazon Prime Down from 12 months

Interesting, when I signed up for Amazon Student last year, they were giving away 12 months of Amazon Prime, now they are only doing 6 months.

Either way, the 2-day shipping or 3.99/item for 1-day shipping is really nice. It made Christmas shopping so much easier this past year!

Nabby

4. macrumors 6502a

I noticed that too. Seems that with this app launch, Amazon took the opportunity to reduce the free trial period.

5. macrumors 6502

I'd like the textbook discount

I'm a student entering college this year (Umich) and I would love to save money off of textbooks, I promise to use it on my studies. Please message me a discount coupon!

6. macrumors 603

appleguy123

Look at the other thread I linked to. Every special offers kindle owner only has one.

7. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's neat to see how iOS and the app store have changed the dynamics of software writing -- it used to be murder just to get anyone to write an app for any Apple platform, and now there's an app specifically for the iPhone not only for Amazon (multiple, actually), but even an app for the subset of iPhone using Amazon shoppers who are students. Not that this stuff won't appear on Android or everywhere else, but I like that it's frequently the Apple users who are getting it first.

8. macrumors member

It's funny how the more mainstream certain aspects of computers get, the more they have to get dumbed down.

9. macrumors 6502

Justinf79

In an ironic twist of fate, this app isn't available on Amazon's own Android app store. :rolleyes:

Unless it's under a different name?

10. macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Here's a dumb question I haven't checked yet but do the "trial" prime members get the ondemand video service like other prime users.

11. macrumors newbie

Jealous of guys staying in the america.

You guys are so lucky. I have to swollen a wind every year when the time comes that I need to textbooks, yes it is bloody expensive, and virtually no other options.

12. macrumors regular

There was nothing to indicate in my 1 year Prime membership that it did not receive all the same benefits...HOWEVER, when they announced the streaming video service, I tried and did not get the free services like "regular" Prime memberships.

My Amazon Student Prime membership expired in July, and I received an offer to purchase it for 1/2 price (around $35). I did purchase it this year and the video on-demand IS included for this.

Nabby

13. macrumors demi-god

Shrink

Is simplifying for the non-techie user the same as dumbing down? :rolleyes:;)

14. macrumors regular

Haven't checked recently but I know that when onDemand was released they excluded "trial" prime members and when I checked it didn't work.

Sucks that they shortened it to 6 months I was hoping to get through all four years with a student prime :(

Will be downloading this app, school starts in two weeks! Need to get on these books.

15. macrumors newbie

16. macrumors 6502

Hmmmm…I'll have to do price comparisons for some of my textbooks that I'll need for college this year, my only concern is that I won't always want to be tied to a electronic device for my studying needs using a textbook.