Amazon Launches Game Center Competitor for Kindle Fire, Testing 4-5 Inch Smartphone Displays

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 11, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Amazon today announced the launch of its new "GameCircle" feature for the Kindle Fire tablet, a set of tools similar to Apple's Game Center that will allow users to chart achievements, compete with others via leaderboards, and sync game progress across devices via the cloud.
    [​IMG]

Amazon's GameCircle appears to lack the social aspects in Game Center such as specifying groups of friends and initiating head-to-head gameplay, but its core features are otherwise very similar to what is offered in Game Center while folding in cross-device syncing that some iOS developers have embraced via iCloud.

Meanwhile, MarketWatch provides a bit more color on Amazon's rumored smartphone project, noting that the company is currently testing prototypes with displays in the range of four to five inches.
    As screen sizes on Android phones have increased to beyond four inches, Apple is also said to be planning a boost for the iPhone's screen that has measured 3.5 inches diagonally since the device's launch in 2007. The next-generation iPhone is said to include a screen of approximately 4 inches, with rumors suggesting that Apple will increase the height of the screen while maintain the current width.

Article Link: Amazon Launches Game Center Competitor for Kindle Fire, Testing 4-5 Inch Smartphone Displays

2. macrumors 6502a

miniroll32

Hmm... to be in a circle, or not to be...

Too late - Apple have filed a patent dispute already!

3. macrumors 6502a

Laughable. Bring it on. I've played with a Kindle Fire before. It's terrible.

4. macrumors 68040

tigres

Why does Amazon what to be in the phone business?
    I just find this curious.

5. macrumors 604

bushido

i wish GameCenter would store game scores in the cloud, so annoying to use a backup if u only want your game scores back

btw i dont think ive opened GameCenter since iOS 4.0 ^^

6. macrumors member

Jonathansm

I think amazon just needs to stay at what there are best at being a retailer. Next thing we know eBay will release a OS.

7. macrumors 6502a

3N16MA

8. macrumors 603

they are in the digital media business. music and other media is going digital. if amazon doesn't adapt to keep on being able to sell digital media they lose revenue

9. macrumors 6502a

guess well just have to quote the things we don't like and just write down vote until we get out button back?? wth did they get rid of that for??:mad: we gotta make it so messy they bring it back... REBEL!!!

10. macrumors Core

Dagless

The tone here is humorous.

Where do you think GameCenter comes from? Have a look at Steam, Xbox Live, PSN.

11. macrumors newbie

All for the money involved.

12. macrumors 6502

great... now people can show off how much time they have wasted playing some idiotic videogame on either an iOS Toy tablet and now an Android Toy tablet.

the competition for Mickey Mouse OS feature of the year is heating up :rolleyes:

13. macrumors regular

That's an extremely ugly interface, like not one I would think would be out even in the mid 90s as a Windows app. I'm wondering if it's Amazon's attempt to avoid a lawsuit by making it look as different as possible.

14. macrumors 68000

Hastings101

Awesome. Bring it on. I've played with a Kindle Fire before and it was great.

15. AngerDanger, Jul 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2012

macrumors 68000

AngerDanger

I wonder if they considered other names besides Game Cent—Circle, like GameMiddle or GameCentral but then realized that they sounded too much like Game Center. :rolleyes:

16. macrumors member

Blomkvist

My thoughts exactly...Apple applied an already established service to their own platform.

Back to the story: I have no problem with Amazon getting into the phone space. I'm not an Android user, I don't think I ever will be. But competition is good for the marketplace...and Apple/Google/MS/others need competition to fuel innovation. Bring it.

17. macrumors 601

Icaras

Yes, but at least Apple didn't name it iOS Live or iOS Network.

18. macrumors 68040

Whats your point? Amazon didnt either...

19. macrumors 6502a

davidgnomo

Plus it's good to have as much challengers as possible on the market, just to let people know that there's more choice and competition (which is always good for the customer)

20. macrumors 603

i'm cutting cable next month and amazon has MUCH LOWER PRICES than itunes for digital media. it was beyond awesome when amazon came to the x-box. i'll still buy an apple TV next month, but only for my wife

21. macrumors 6502a

In a few years from now there are going to be studies on how technology created zombies out of people and they are going to show that promotional videos. Just turn down the volume and all you will see are zombies.

22. macrumors G4

Small White Car

The future will be ecosystems owned top to bottom.

Android phones, Apple phones, and Microsoft phones will serve up media in their own stores. Few will take the time to seek out an Android app and those that do will be constrained by the rules the phone-maker puts on them. (Look at how you can't buy books within Amazon's iOS app.)

Amazon will find they have fewer and fewer customers over time unless they build their own phones.

In the future a company will either own a complete phone ecosystem or they will just own an app that does a specific thing. There is no in-between...no content provider that serves up all types of media but is not in control of everything.

Amazon wants to be an all-content provider, not just an app like, say, Netflix or the NY Times. They want more than that and the only way to get more is to make your own phone.

(This is also why you should bet money on a Facebook phone sometime soon.)

23. macrumors 6502a

Did they really need to waste time creating a video aimed at developers to tell them wha amazing "features" there are in their service that is identical to virtually every other platforms.

I'm sure game developers already have experience in offing achievements and leader boards from the myriad of other platforms services already.

This is already available with iCloud. For some reason developers either haven't implemented it or do so in a convoluted way. I'd actually like to see it made a requirement for submitting games to the app store just to get the ball rolling.

24. macrumors 6502a

clukas

this actually sounds pretty cool, I hate that when I restore my iPhone (without a backup) all my games go back to their starting position. Its discouraging and unnecessary. A perfect thing iCloud could fix ;).

25. macrumors 68020

daveL

Really?

Game scores and competitions considered "achievements"!? And people wonder why the world is in the state it's in.