Amazon Optimizes MP3 Store for Mobile Safari to Attract iOS Device Users

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 17, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Amazon today announced that it has optimized its MP3 music store for Safari on iOS devices, marking yet another step in the company's effort to eat into the iTunes Store's dominant position in the digital music market.
    Amazon's move to optimize its MP3 store for iOS devices comes over five years after the store debuted, but seems to be part of a renewed effort by Amazon to challenge the iTunes Store. The company has invested significantly in its Cloud Player services as a competitor to iTunes Match, and Amazon has just launched its new AutoRip feature to provide free digital versions of tracks purchased on CD, including for many orders dating as far back as 1998.

Article Link: Amazon Optimizes MP3 Store for Mobile Safari to Attract iOS Device Users

2. macrumors 6502a

STiNG Operation

It takes a lot to get people to switch from what they like/know. People that have been using itunes since the beginning are used to the way it's done. Take att's exclusive contract with the iPhone, most people just stayed with att even though another carrier might be better.

3. macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I wish Apple would allow downloading MP3s from websites/apps to integrate into iOS's Music app.

I buy music from Amazon all the time and I can't put it into my Music app without using my Mac. How can I use an iPad as a computer replacement if it can't even do that!

4. macrumors 603

notjustjay

US only :( No help to the rest of us in other parts of the world.

5. macrumors 6502

"The Amazon MP3 mobile website for iPhone and iPod touches is built on HTML5"

Bleh. I hate HTML-based "apps". They always feel so clunky compared to native apps.

6. macrumors member

adamryan1983

This.

7. macrumors regular

Amazon often has better prices and deal compared to iTunes (in my experience). It works seamlessly as well. You just buy, download, and there is an option to automatically add the music to iTunes. If you buy on your phone, you can just use the Amazon mp3 app to play your purchased music. Saves money and isn't a huge hassle. Its a win in my book.

8. macrumors 68000

Tankmaze

US only? Hmm, itunes just launch to other 50 countries last december. Try to expand the market amazon!

9. macrumors 65816

Agreed, Amazon has always been my my main goto source for music, especially since they was the first to offer the higher bit rate. Now that itunes has matched it its now a toss up. Is songs in itunes still protected, and limited to certain devices?

10. macrumors regular

AppleGuesser

I use Amazon Cloud Player on my iPhone and purchased music from Amazon all the time. Awesome! I look forward to one day having an Amazon MP3 store dedicated app to send my music I buy to my cloud app :)

11. macrumors 6502

They are DRM free Higher Quality AAC files

I use Amazon for the free music, then match in iTunes to get the higher quality iTunes version

12. macrumors regular

I know what you mean. If I could integrate them with the songs already on my phone then this would actually be useful to me. I only use iTunes because of the consistency across all of my devices.

13. macrumors 603

notjustjay

Yep. I'm no Apple apologist or fanboy. If someone else can give me the same music for cheaper, or a better selection, I'm all for it! The problem is iTunes is pretty much the biggest player -- possibly the only player -- in many countries outside of the US.

14. macrumors 601

LagunaSol

Switch to AAC, Amazon, and we'll talk.

MP3 is so 1999.

15. macrumors G5

Given that MP3 is usable in far more devices, I'm not sure they would switch. Perhaps offer a choice.

16. macrumors 68030

Only a matter of time since Amazon just opened up that possibility iTunes will have to do the same to match that user convenience.

17. macrumors regular

I believe the iTunes app is not completely native as well

Besides HTML5 inside a web browser is the only way to go

18. macrumors 65816

ah ok thanks, I just started getting songs from itunes recently and wasn't really sure about this..

19. macrumors regular

Good for them for deciding to add this feature for supporting MP3 downloads on iOS devices.

20. macrumors 6502a

Jetson

You can't buy music from Amazon through it's cloud player yet.

Apple will not allow such in-app purchases unless Apple get's it's 30% "protection money" :D

Therefore you have to buy songs from Amazon through the web browser.

21. macrumors 601

Yvan256

That was true until a few years ago, but most of today's devices are also compatible with AAC. Heck, a Nintendo DSi can play AAC but cannot play MP3.

22. macrumors G5

Do people really listen to music on their Nintendo DSi? I ask sincerely. I'm not a gamer so I don't have those type of devices.

23. macrumors 6502

What devices are a large number of people using that don't support AAC?

Agreed though, having a choice of MP3 or AAC would be nice.

24. macrumors 601

gotluck

Another reason to jailbreak :eek:

...if one was available for iOS 6

Bridge allows importing into the music app.

25. macrumors 6502a

Jetson

When Amazon released its Auto-Rip feature this week, I was thrilled. Now I have access to much of the music that I purchased, yet cannot play on my iOS devices.

Why can't I play those songs on my iOS devices?

Because Apple has limited the storage size for years now, with 64GBs being the largest you can get on your iPod or iPad. So I had to make choices about what I carry on my iOS device, and that means chopping down severely on the video and music.

I remember the iPod Classic had a 256GB capacity, but those days seem to be long gone. Apple just doesn't seem interested in giving us more storage, instead wanting to encourage iCloud storage it seems. Well I don't always have access to a Wi-Fi signal and certainly don't want to use expensive cellular access for downloading music, so downloading/streaming isn't always practical.

Apple, give us more storage capacity!!!