Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SHNXX

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2013
Unless apple brings live TV somehow, it's already game over for apple tv.

I have apple tv but the only thing it's useful for is airplay, which I don't really need since I can connect my devices (computers) to HDMI.

Between Roku3, Apple TV, WDTV Live, there is a niche for everything I suppose but the device I find most pleasant to use is Roku for sure.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
It seems you are not aware of the huge delays in bringing new Amazon products and services to Canada. It took almost a year before they made the Kindle Paperwhite available here.

No, I'm aware. And Amazon was aware too when it launched w/o the Canadian market. But it doesn't appear the Paperwhite was any worse off. The reality is media licensing is complex & companies have to launch product as the get licenses for a country or region. They can't hold back like a game of poker.

----------

Unless apple brings live TV somehow, it's already game over for apple tv.

Steve Balmer is that you? Let me get the lights on here. Oh, Michael Dell. What are you doing around these parts?

Seriously, ATV does have live TV for many sports. But other than that who has time to watch live TV? DVR and on-demand is the here and now and future.

vomhorizon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2013
No, I'm aware. And Amazon was aware too when it launched w/o the Canadian market. But it doesn't appear the Paperwhite was any worse off. The reality is media licensing is complex & companies have to launch product as the get licenses for a country or region. They can't hold back like a game of poker.

----------

Steve Balmer is that you? Let me get the lights on here. Oh, Michael Dell. What are you doing around these parts?

Seriously, ATV does have live TV for many sports. But other than that who has time to watch live TV? DVR and on-demand is the here and now and future.

Just look at the market share and lowering subscription rates of live cable tv vs DVR and Netflix (and like services) in the key demographics driving growth..

SHNXX

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2013
Amazon Planning March Launch for Apple TV Set-Top Box Competitor

----------

You seem confused.
Please take a look at the TV industry earnings and get back to me.

Actually don't.
Who has time to read your inane idiotic posts these days?

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
they banned my account with no warnings or notice and screwed over all my DIGITAL PURCHASES and bricked two kindles in the process. F them, even if you think your account would never get banned I want everyone to take note that they have the ability to mess you up real badly and what's worse screw over digital content that you supposedly OWN over issues that have no relationship to the digital purchases. Other than that, yeah, great idea, the market is screaming for yet another set top streaming media box.

How do you get banned from Amazon? This is the first time im hearing of someone getting banned from Amazon.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Actually don't.
Who has time to read your inane idiotic posts these days?

Clearly you do. :D

BTW better take a look at Apple TV sales. The curve is upward, not down, and very little live TV now. So I'd say your conclusion stating ATV is dead in the water unless it adds more live tv is factually is a little more "inane" than mine.

Last edited:

kds1

Suspended
Feb 17, 2013
New York, New York
But using a comma to separate two independent clauses without a conjunction is not the same as using a semicolon. (By the way, you missed a comma between your two independent clauses above--a pet peeve of mine.)

I agree that using the negative gerund is technically correct, but it is much clearer if you just use the negative adverb. It's also better to put "actually" next to the word it modifies. In your first post, it is an adverb that modifies your verb "is called." In your last, it modifies "mean."

My point is only that people on the internet love to call out little grammatical errors. But the real issue is the lack of clarity in written language.

"Here, Here" is just patently wrong, and is not merely a "grammatical" error.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.