Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richman555

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2010
Collegeville, PA
I quote:

"Bloomberg reports that Amazon is currently working with Foxconn on a new smartphone product, one that would compete head-to-head with the iPhone and Android devices."

As compared to the title of this thread:
"Amazon Planning to Take on Apple in Smartphone Market"

Amazon is _NOT_ planning to "Take On Apple".

There's a big difference. The only reason I know that Amazon's intent is not to take on Apple, is due to the people I know within the organization.

Are they building a smartphone? Yes, but not to compete with Apple.

Amazon's intent is to build "another smartphone choice" for the public to choose from.

https://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/06/amazon-planning-to-take-on-apple-in-smartphone-market/

Amazon is certainly competing with Apple.

They are competing with the iPhone and the iTunes store.

Sure, their product is for a lower price point at the current time, but mark my words I believe Apple will jump into this space as well.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Amazon is certainly competing with Apple.

They are competing with the iPhone and the iTunes store.

Sure, their product is for a lower price point at the current time, but mark my words I believe Apple will jump into this space as well.

I can see why many people will perceive it as you do. However what's being overlooked is the fact that Amazon already has a mature brand with millions of customers. These are people who may already have a smartphone & many who don't. When they see the brand that they love offering a smartphone designed to take advantage of Amazons content, it's a natural for them to want one.

Another fact that many who are not familiar with business overlook, is the sheer size of the market. There's plenty of customers for several brands of smartphones. This is one of the reasons Androids sell so well.

Unless Amazon makes some major mistake, I think we'll see them do quite well. Not everyone loves Apple or wants an iPhone, no matter what the Apple followers would like to believe.

In fact, if anything Apple is shooting itself down by launching these highly publicized negative attacks & law suits on other companies. There are many people in the mainstream market place that are highly educated and aware. They see what Apples up to and find it quite objectionable.

Being 100% self centered Apple thinks they are actually far superior to others. A fantasy only they believe.

MaHong2

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2012
hello
xiaowang1.jpg

xiaowang2.jpg

xiaowang3.jpg

alfistas

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2012
Helios Prime
Oh yeah! More low priced crap for people to buy while they wish they had an iPhone...

This is the hard truth... though i hate fanboism!

But really who cares about yet another android phone?

The real competition will come from Windows Phone 8 whenever the folks at Redmond manage to get their Sht together.

Don't get me wrong. Android is really good! but it is more of a replacement to Nokia's Symbian...

hickabob

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2011
Missouri
This is the hard truth... though i hate fanboism!

But really who cares about yet another android phone?

The real competition will come from Windows Phone 8 whenever the folks at Redmond manage to get their Sht together.

Don't get me wrong. Android is really good! but it is more of a replacement to Nokia's Symbian...

I dislike fanboism as well... My comment comes more from the fact that 99% of the people I know that don't have an iPhone have mentioned to me while I'm on mine that they wish they had one. From 10 year olds to teens to my friends and my grandma!

Your right, the windows phone is the actually diversity that the market needs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.