Amazon Prime

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by SandPebble, Mar 13, 2014.

1. macrumors regular

Received an email from Amazon stating that Prime will increase to $99 per year.

Still a good deal for me because of all the stuff I buy from Amazon.

2. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

3. macrumors demi-god

Shrink

Agree^^^^

I shop extensively at Amazon, ordering a very large number of items each year. I've saved several multiples of the cost of Prime, even at $99 it is still very worthwhile for me.

Fo someone ordering only a few items each year, it is probably not worth it, although they do have a decent video library included in the Prime membership.

I've always been very pleased in dealing with Amazon, and have found their customer service to be excellent. I'll be renewing my Prime membership at the new, higher price.

4. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

You can also read a free book each month on your Kindle if you have one.

5. macrumors G3

rhett7660

Oh! This I didn't know this. Is just for the month and then they pull it, or you get a free book each month for the kindle?

6. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

You get one book per calendar month with no expiration date. I don't have it, but know about from reading on other websites.

Check out this page for the details.

7. macrumors 68040

MattG

8. macrumors G3

Huntn

I use it too. The ast time I checked Amazon still offers free shipping on orders over $25 if you don't mind waiting a week or so for it.

9. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

If you don't have Prime and are debating whether or not to get it, you still have 7 days to get it at the lower rate of $79.

Attached Files:

10. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You can keep the book as long as you want but you only get one per month. Think of it somewhat like Netflix, you don't get another until you return the other but if you return in the same month, you need to wait.

At first I was thinking that was a bit of a hike but I think as long as I continue to shop on Amazon for the most part, it still pays off. Add the free book a month and the Amazon Prime Streaming, it's still a decent deal. Free 2-day shipping and the book makes this a much better deal than Netflix streaming if you think about it.

11. Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I, too, received the email this morning. Even at $99, it's still a great deal for someone like me who orders a lot of stuff from them.

No complaints from me.

12. macrumors 68000

4JNA

count me in.

totally worth it for me. signed up when they started prime, and i'll give up my membership when they pry it from my cold dead credit card...:eek:

free books, fast shipping, and streaming 'Goonies' for free whenever i want, EPIC!

13. macrumors demi-god

Shrink

What!?:eek:

This is the internet, isn't it!?

Are you really allowed not to complain!?:confused:

Amazing...

;) :D

14. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

That actually made me laugh out loud.:D

15. Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

hehe, I like to keep things in perspective; keeping it real. :cool:

16. macrumors 603

mobilehaathi

Living where I do, if I order early in the day that free two day shipping ends up being free overnight shipping somewhat regularly. :)

Yeah, I'm keeping it.

17. macrumors 6502

It is now a minimum of $35.

18. macrumors G3

Huntn

Was that a change along with the upping of Amazon Prime fees? Well that makes it (free shipping) more of a challenge. :)

19. macrumors G3

rhett7660

Gotcha!! Thank you both for the links and explanation!

20. macrumors 68000

Antares

No price increase is ever a good thing for the person paying. However, I use this service so much that it is still definitley worth it at $99 a year.

21. macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Same here. It's amazing. I usually always get my orders the next day. And I'm currently only paying $39 a year for a student membership. I only have one year left of that though :(

22. macrumors 68000

Happened in late 2013. I know because my Prime ran out, but I needed to buy some Christmas stuff off Amazon. Saw the $35 min shipping fee. Realized that shipping for my order would've been 1/4 the student (back to school part time, totally using that student rate :p) Prime cost. Renewed student Prime in a heartbeat.

If the student rate stays at half ($49-50), that's probably still good enough for me. I don't order enough anymore to justify the full Prime price though at this time.

23. macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
  24. macrumors 601

Plutonius

I'm curious. Without Amazon Prime, orders over $35 ship free using standard shipping. Do you need the Amazon Prime 2 day shipping or do you order many small orders ?

25. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I let my Prime membership lapse as I found myself buying more stuff just because shipping was free. I order quite a bit from Amazon and it's rare that an order isn't at least $35. Most of my free shipping orders arrive within a week.