Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
so only works fully on less than 7% of computers out there... Compare that to drop box that works on 100% of computers.
So much for being a game changer when how it works is so limited.
Enough with the trolling. It also works on 90%+ of all tablets out there as well.

You are so transparent.

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA
LOL Thanks for the laugh. I needed that. The average consumer will not know enough to do that. If Apple is smart, they will allow iCloud subscription service from around the world like they do right now with iTunes purchases.

Uh huh... right. Dropbox is a clumsy alternative to iDisk and Google's system is clumsy at best.

Don't get me wrong, I do use Gmail for filtering spam and I used Google calendar briefly but their service is not as great as you claim it to be. I also tried Dropbox but I never have actually used it.

Do you work for Google or something?

User error. Dropbox is the simplest thing you could ever use. Google calendar syncs with everything, and has exchange support. What else do you need?

stevensr123

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2010
I'm loving all these bitter fanboys on this thread :rolleyes:

how about you admit the fact this seems like a really good alternative to icloud, offering features that icloud don't offer etc instead of saying amazon are pathetic and are only doing this because apple are releasing icloud.

the only ones saying they are doing this because of apple, is apple fanboys who think the whole world resolves around apple and everything the competition are doing, is because of apple :rolleyes:

res1233

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I'm loving all these bitter fanboys on this thread :rolleyes:

how about you admit the fact this seems like a really good alternative to icloud, offering features that icloud don't offer etc instead of saying amazon are pathetic and are only doing this because apple are releasing icloud.

the only ones saying they are doing this because of apple, is apple fanboys who think the whole world resolves around apple and everything the competition are doing, is because of apple :rolleyes:

Or how about admitting that streaming is a poor substitute for a local copy because it means you have to waste your bandwidth on redownloading the song every single time you want to listen to it? Personally, I'd rather use my precious megabytes on the occasional Netflix movie rather than on my music. iTunes provides local copies of all your music, so you don't have to constantly contact the cloud. I really don't see why anyone would want to switch to this service. It isn't better than iTunes. It just isn't.

Before anyone says it, Movie streaming is a whole different beast. Movies take up far too much room for local copies of them to make a whole lot of sense. You could fill up a 32GB iPhone in very little time if you start putting your favorite movies on it. Not so with music. Local storage is usually sufficient for all your "favorite" music. With that said, Apple should offer streaming from iTunes at some point so that we can have the option. I can see it being a reality in the very near future. Even a 32GB iPhone or a 64GB iPad can run out of space with some people's libraries, so it would be nice to have streaming to fall back on when they do.

macsmurf

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
You are ignorant of the real history.

Amazon announced their "cloud" service in August 2006 - quite some time before the Iphone was announced.

I'd say that Apple is the one running the copying machines here, except that "cloud" has long been a generic term.

Yep. These days "cloud" doesn't really mean anything more than: "It's on the internet". :)

iCloud seems to be a syncing service for OS X. That's a nice feature. I'm not sure what it has to do with cloud computing, though.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
We had tablets years ago.

It took Apple to do it right. You'll see the same with iCloud.
This is a very good point. It takes years but Apple eventually do it right. Some of the other competitors spend the same number of years and never end up doing it right. Better take your time and get it right then never get it right at all.

stevensr123

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2010
Or how about admitting that streaming is a poor substitute for a local copy because it means you have to waste your bandwidth on redownloading the song every single time you want to listen to it? Personally, I'd rather use my precious megabytes on the occasional Netflix movie rather than on my music. iTunes provides local copies of all your music, so you don't have to constantly contact the cloud. I really don't see why anyone would want to switch to this service. It isn't better than iTunes. It just isn't.

Before anyone says it, Movie streaming is a whole different beast. Movies take up far too much room for local copies of them to make a whole lot of sense. You could fill up a 32GB iPhone in very little time if you start putting your favorite movies on it. Not so with music. Local storage is usually sufficient for all your "favorite" music. With that said, Apple should offer streaming from iTunes at some point so that we can have the option. I can see it being a reality in the very near future. Even a 32GB iPhone or a 64GB iPad can run out of space with some people's libraries, so it would be nice to have streaming to fall back on when they do.

you know it takes usage to use icloud as well you know?unless your gonna listen to song XXXX continuously on repeat or very often, there is no benefit for not streaming. also when you download music from icloud, is it temporary? or do you have to manually delete the song after you finished?

and why isn't it better? this amazon cloud allows you to listen to songs on multiple devices, your mobile, your ipad, your android, your computer, your laptop, meaning you get the ability to use it on many of your devices regardless of if it's IOS/osx, or not.

plus unlimited storage for all of your music? now that is winning#

Prallethrin

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2011
Got to love competition.

But the unlimited storage is "limited time" only. I take it Amazon can't really afford it if everyone wants unlimited space for music. LOL

iTunes Match is unlimited forever - as long as your song is sold by iTunes that is.

Nevertheless, I look forward to iCloud, it's going to be a serious part of Apple's ecosystem.
Both 3rd party and Apple's 1st party apps are going to be leveraging it for document "distribution", it's more than just music.

dr Dunkel

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2008
Like all eco systems, it is voulnerable to external influence. Apple is like Australia.

mwpeters8182

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2003
Boston, MA
Uh huh... right. Dropbox is a clumsy alternative to iDisk and Google's system is clumsy at best.

If Dropbox has anything going for it, is that it falls into the category of "It just works." I've never heard anyone refer to Dropbox as clumsy. If anything, it's the opposite - I always want to have a little more control over what I do/don't sync, rather than just have the one big "My Dropbox" folder. I tried SpiderOak and Windows Live Mesh for a while, but I ended up going back using DropBox because it just works, without any fuss.

Sometimes people need to take off the Apple blinders around here...

Prallethrin

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2011
I've never heard anyone refer to Dropbox as clumsy.

Well, I will be your first. :p

Make a small change in a file that's in Dropbox, Dropbox re-uploads the whole damn file. :mad:

Now I don't know if iCloud is going to be any difference, but I sure hope so, because re-uploading files for every little change is utterly retarded.

Last edited:

riverfreak

macrumors 68000
Jan 10, 2005
Thonglor, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

mwpeters8182 said:

If Dropbox has anything going for it, is that it falls into the category of "It just works." I've never heard anyone refer to Dropbox as clumsy. If anything, it's the opposite - I always want to have a little more control over what I do/don't sync, rather than just have the one big "My Dropbox" folder. I tried SpiderOak and Windows Live Mesh for a while, but I ended up going back using DropBox because it just works, without any fuss.

Sometimes people need to take off the Apple blinders around here...

Agreed. Dropbox is a stellar and indispensable service. To call it clumsy is bizarre.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Limited time? Sounds like how the phone companies all started with unlimited data plans but later capped them.

This looks like a good deal, but Amazon is going to cut people off since it's unsustainable. I doubt Amazon will make money on the guys who pay $20 and uploads a few hundred gigs of pirated mp3s. Like many other Amazon offers, they'll take the loss for a while then walk it back.

riverfreak

macrumors 68000
Jan 10, 2005
Thonglor, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

milo said:
Limited time? Sounds like how the phone companies all started with unlimited data plans but later capped them.

This looks like a good deal, but Amazon is going to cut people off since it's unsustainable. I doubt Amazon will make money on the guys who pay $20 and uploads a few hundred gigs of pirated mp3s. Like many other Amazon offers, they'll take the loss for a while then walk it back.

Right. Or they'll collect stats on those uploaders and send the list to the RIAA/FBI for full prosecution. I think pirating music is punishable by death now in the US.

maclaptop

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2011
Western Hemisphere
AWESOME, this is actually pretty neat as apple doesnt really understand what cloud access to music means. redownloads of ur music from the store r fine but pointless as they fill up ur iphone space just as much as synching the music in the first place
So true, Apple is rather clueless when it comes to many things.

But where they shine is in their ability to spin the words, spin the truth, and spin the story line to get their followers to believe them. Apple is nothing if not a brilliant marketing machine.

All one has to do is read the posts in this forum to see that the average user, hangs on Steve Jobs every word with breathless anticipation and reverence. They dote on him like he's been sent from heaven to cradle them and keep them safe.

Apple has become a smoke and mirrors company, and the public eats it up.

Just like David Copperfield and other Illusionists... at least half of Apples success is based on smoke and mirrors trickery.

In addition, it's this kind of "Magic" that really appeals to their female customers and kids. They just love this stuff.

So, in the final analysis, it doesn't matter what the real story is, or what the iToys like pads, pods & phones do, but rather how "cool they are are".

Currently nothing is quite as cool as the cloud.

neko girl

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2011
so only works fully on less than 7% of computers out there...
Considering that you are on MacRumors, it's much, much higher than 7% around these parts.

Also, Dropbox has a completely separate purpose from iCloud. Good luck finding anywhere close to a cheap solution when storing on Dropbox, for example. Dropbox will be your iDisk replacement, but not any sort of music cloud locker solution (unless you don't have a lot of music, and you enjoy clicking on individual MP3s to listen to them).

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Considering that you are on MacRumors, it's much, much higher than 7% around these parts.

Also, Dropbox has a completely separate purpose from iCloud. Good luck finding anywhere close to a cheap solution when storing on Dropbox, for example. Dropbox will be your iDisk replacement, but not any sort of music cloud locker solution (unless you don't have a lot of music, and you enjoy clicking on individual MP3s to listen to them).

Your right that Drop box is not a music storage system. I do not have to waste my limited free space to store music. Instead I can use another FREE system that works really well to stream music that I want to.

This compared to Apple where you have to pay for that privileged to do that. As for an easy system to handle music you have Amazon cloud which you can have it pull the your iTunes play list and upload songs based on that. Or use Google music which can track your iTunes playlist as changes are made and upload and changed your online playlist again based on those changes. A very simple system. Both are free.

Now Apple system you have to pay money for and from what I have seen it is still fairly limited on what it can be played on.

Back to the original point my entire response was because of *LTD* remark of "Apples will be the first to get it right." I was pointing out getting it right means only working completely for less than 7% (chances are less than 5%) when you start adding in all the system it needs to tie in to. To fully work you can only be in the Apple world. Have something that runs outside of that (windows, another phone ect) it does not just work. A good system can not be tied to a single OS or company but work on everything.

Dropbox works on all the major platforms out there. Amazons Cloud player the same thing. I am willing to bet Google Music will get on to WP7 and iPhone at some point in the future. iCloud on the other hand will never leave Apple devices.

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
User error. Dropbox is the simplest thing you could ever use. Google calendar syncs with everything, and has exchange support. What else do you need?
Do you have a reading comprehension problem? Do you suffer from Asperger's

I'm being rude to you because you were rude to me. User error would imply that I did not know how to use it. I use google mail through IMAP on my iOS devices and in mail app daily but again, I have no other use for it other than with activities that might generate a lot of unwanted spam. It is the account that I give out if I'm not certain as to how a site will use my email address.
I refuse to use their web mail interface.

Dropbox is fine but I really have no use for it. I don't even use iDisk very often either. I find dropbox to be clumsily implemented. It is basically a synced watch folder instead of a mounted drive like iDisk which I prefer.

I write software for a living and I have been writing software on the windows platform for over a decade. So what do you do for a living?

As for the exchange emulation, I found it be error prone with weird artifacts in the calendars so I had to switch to CalDav on my iPhone. The email addresses were malformed in exchange mode for the attendees for meetings. I stopped using calendar sync after being told to stop it but it was convenient to have my team daily meetings show up on my iphone.

PS. I've also tried the Live Mesh/sky drive from MSFT but it is also a watch folder scheme like Dropbox. It raises some security concerns that another system could have access to my HD storage.

Last edited:

someone28624

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
Buffalo
This is awesome news. I'm going to get to have my music all in the cloud somewhere, and streamable to my device? Best news all day.

jprocha

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2009
The trend in this thread seems to be to downvote anyone who naysays this new Amazon cloud offering, but here I go... On the go is when I often listen to my music, and usually that means you have to do it over 3G. This service would run up your data usage needlessly. Why should you use up twice the data to listen to the song twice? Does this make sense to anyone? Doesn't it make more sense to have the song download to your device for listening later? The only improvement Apple needs to make is to let you listen to your music while it downloads. Once that's in place, this service will no longer make any sense. I can see this as a very likely change in the near future.

You can still have a copy of your music on your device. The biggest advantage of Amazon's cloud player it the ability to listen to it through a web browser on any computer. That's what iTunes should work on improving. I should be able to log into my name and play my entire iTunes library from where ever I am, on any browser. :cool:

Sackvillenb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Canada! \m/
Not bad. Cloud-based streaming of lots of media isn't a very good option in my area though, because although I can get great speeds, our bandwidth caps are low and very expensive... so data (through DSL and cable, let alone 3G) costs lots and lots of money... boo-urns...

But, in places with a more progressive telecommunications industry (and with more competitive markets), this should be pretty decent.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
I'm looking at $20 for 2 years of unlimited music with no goofy re-downloading or whatever.

try it in the subway and get back to us. or while flying. then youll understand why syncing your music offers more value than streaming (renting) your music to some of us, and thats who apple is catering to with this service.

MJedi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2010
Free storage of all Amazon MP3 Store purchases: Most applicable for those users opting to stick with the free 5 GB plan, Amazon will now store all past and future Amazon MP3 Store purchases free of charge and without counting toward the 5 GB limit. The feature had previously been limited to purchases made since the debut of Cloud Drive and Cloud Player.

I don't see any of the songs I had purchased before the launch of Cloud Player. I assume this is slowly being rolled out to their customers.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
Personally I think this is awesome. I get a lot of music from Amazon. Its cheaper a lot of times than iTunes. $0.69 vs. $1.29. I'll take Amazon please. Amazon has also been doing DRM free music since the beginning, something I also have an appreciation for.

I like that I can keep all my Amazon.com purchased music "in the cloud" for free and not have to store them locally, if I don't want to.

There's a lot of hate in this thread and I'm not sure why.

+1 on the Amazon cloud. I have no idea what the iCloud service will be like (though I'd really like to know what is going to happen to my iDisk that I store a lot of files on??) but between Amazon & Google's music services, Amazon wins hands down. Upgraded to unlimited for an album download and just realized you can download your music that is in the cloud to another device if you want/need. That's cool. The iPad player works pretty well. Better than Google Music, for now. I'm sure Google Music will improve.

I also prefer the Amazon MP3s since they are DRM free vs iTunes DRM. Someone was saying how they didn't like having to install something but it's just 2 clicks and it adds to your iTunes library automatically. The sound quality is fine. Most won't notice.

My other concern w/ iCloud is song recognition. iTunes doesn't recognize a lot of my music for Genius, how can I expect it to recognize it for iTunes Match?

I'm dying to try Spotify though. I hear it is better than all of them.

Last edited:

neko girl

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2011
I was pointing out getting it right means only working completely for less than 7% (chances are less than 5%) when you start adding in all the system it needs to tie in to.
Once again you are having trouble with numbers. Specifically:
  • Market share of iPods is not anywhere close to 7%. Apple is THE dominant player in this market. Growth of iOS-based iPods (read: iCloud compatible iPods) is vastly outpacing growth of non-iOS based iPods.
  • iTunes in Windows was mentioned as being compatible, so I'm not sure what your 7% means. This covers personal computers > 95% (I am guessing).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.